Confusion in Wrestling

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

Watching the Montreal Screwjob live confused the hell out of me. Also for some time I wondered why Bret Hart's submission finisher was called the Shartshooter.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
12 hours ago, PJ Power said:

Watching the Montreal Screwjob live confused the hell out of me. Also for some time I wondered why Bret Hart's submission finisher was called the Shartshooter.

I don’t understand the name even though I always knew it was a sharpshooter. What’s wrapping someone’s legs around one of yours got to do with someone with a gun?

The Scorpion Death Lock always made more sense as a name for the move: pulling the legs up made the defender make the shape of a scorpion with its tail above its body. And, “death lock” because wrestling.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I don’t understand the name even though I always knew it was a sharpshooter. What’s wrapping someone’s legs around one of yours got to do with someone with a gun?

Massively overthinking it. The finish of the "Hitman" is the "Sharpshooter". That's it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Massively overthinking it. The finish of the "Hitman" is the "Sharpshooter". That's it.

I've never put the two together until now. I just thought it was a cool sounding name. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

I was always under the impression that aside from the mentioned explanation above, the crossed legs resembled a crosshair on a sniper rifle. But I'm probably over thinking it.

Talk of belts in the FWA thread, and recalling a resemblance between theirs and the classic Intercontinental Title worn by Mr Perfect and Rick Rude, has reminded me of a "discovery" I made as a kid.

Early in my wrestling fandom I was given a carrier bag crammed full of old magazines, mostly of the Apter variety, and in one of them was a black and white photo from a regional fed of a mulleted, moustachioed wrestler who looked a bit old to be carrying that skateboard, but most notable was the unmistakable design of the IC Title around his waist.

This opened a whole new world of intrigue in my young mind, as I tried to imagine how the belt in this old photo had ended up becoming the WWF Intercontinental Championship. Obviously at some point the letters on the front plate had been melted down and reshaped, but how did it change hands? Did the champion (perhaps this over-the-hill skateboarder) lose a unification match to Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, who I'd seen with an earlier, uglier version of the WWF's belt? Could the WWF just absorb smaller companies' titles, perhaps once they reached a certain level of prestige?

Obviously the one theory I could safely discard was the far-fetched idea of an expensive gold belt being duplicated down to the last detail. No one could get away with doing that.

• Paid Members

If we're getting into misheard announcements I was very impressed the first time I saw Bret tag up with "The Anvil" Nige Hart.

• Paid Members

Almost certain I'll be alone in this one but I started watching wrestling when I was 9 in the summer of 2000 and for some reason I never understood The Rock's catchphrase. I thought he was saying some absolute gibberish because he was so cool he didn't even need real words "iffffyysimbaaaaaa what The Rock.Is Cooking." My younger brother would have been 5 or 6 and obviously because that's what he heard me saying, that's what he thought it was too. We'd run around the house playing wrestling and doing the catchphrases and hitting out with this absolute shite if one of us was The Rock.

It's was years later we discovered it was actually "If you smell" and listening back now I have absolutely no idea how it didn't click that that was what he was saying.

Funny you should mention that about misheard catch phrases. I had a similar faux paux as a nipper also. 

I could never quite make out what the start of Vaders entrance music was saying and assumed it was gibberish. 

So a young Joe is at his friends and we are putting on a ppv with our wrestling figures. Of course we always used to sing/hum/make noise akin to the wrestlers entrance music when they made their way to the ring. 

The Mastadon is heading to the ring at which point I provide music. 

“HICCCH BA, MICH AHHH, HICCCH VADER MAAAAA”

My friend turned to me with a look that somehow containted shame/bemusement/anger/hilarity and confusion. He then proceeded to piss himself laughing for a good five minutes (we went to commercial as he failed to compose himself) before telling me what I had done to cause the hysterics. 

My shame was great. Vader did not go over that night. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

"iffffyysimbaaaaaa what The Rock.Is Cooking."

2 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

"HICCCH BA, MICH AHHH, HICCCH VADER MAAAAA”

That's quite the Pandora's Box I appeared to have opened. Please forgive me.

• Paid Members

Oh this has reminded me of something else - this time an unfortunate error from my brother. When he was in Primary 3 or so, my parents were called to the school for an urgent meeting with his teacher. Apparently my brother had been calling one of his classmates a "fuck".

After being questioned by my parents and his teacher, it emerged he had been watching too much WWF, in particular Tazz. He'd actually been trying to call his classmate a "thug" (a word Tazz would regularly use at the time) only with his elementary diction it came out "fuck". After discovering this misunderstanding, my parents thought it was hilarious. I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me of this ridiculous memory.

Archived