RIP Jim Neidhart

The Reverend

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was really sweet seeing him and Nattie on Total Divas - this big fat old wrestler being called "Daddy" in exasperated tones.  I think he'd come out of the other side of his drug problems too, she bought her parents a house and it looked like he was happy.

RIP and all that.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I did actually see Jim Neidhart wrestling live once at, I believe, an NWA Hammerlock show in the early 00s. He was working a tag and was blown up just getting to the ring. Needless to say, his actual performance in the match was horrendous based mainly on his weight and cardio issues.

I was at that show too, I got a Polaroid with him and he was really funny and charismatic. I think it was Alex Shane who used to tell us Jim carried round a suitcase of drugs the likes of which he'd never seen. RIP Anvil, I always had a soft spot for that big nutter.

Shocked and saddened reading this when I got in, Bret and the Anvil were, are and forever will be my all time favorite tag team. Only a couple of days ago I was watching the promo they done before the match with Smash and Crush at Summerslam 91 on an Instagram wrestling page and it's honestly one of my favorite ones of theirs especially the beginning where Anvil responds to Mean Gene's question about what he thinks about the choice of members for Demolition to which Anvil responds by saying 'Think? They don't pay me to think, they pay me to be tough'

16 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Gutted I haven't got SummerSlam 1997 in Otto's thread. The peak of that summer of Harts vs. USA. Was years before I found out why Anvil never shaved his beard off!

I've got it, was going to watch the bits I wasn't familiar with as I've seen Austin/ Owen and Bret/ Taker a few times but ended up watching the rest of the show because of Anvil passing. Like you say, absolute peak of that story, they're getting booed all over the shop but they're all still cool as fuck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

A couple of recent bits of Neidhart business I watched; one was an old episode of Prime Time Wrestling in the run-up to Wrestlemania 2, where all the guys in the Battle Royal do promos for it, and Neidhart's was the only one that didn't seem like he was doing it at gunpoint. I'd never really thought of him as an especially charismatic guy, but he was so far ahead of everyone else on this show it was shocking.

The other was a "WWF Old School" show on the Network, from '91, and Neidhart's on commentary with Heenan and Monsoon, and he's brilliant at it. A really missed vocation there.

Archived