People you hate on teams you support

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

As @PunkStep mentions his undying love of Paul Merson in the football thread, what current or former people do you hate in teams you support and why?

As a Bath rugby fan, I've always disliked club legend Jeremy Guscott. Don't particularly like his punditry nowadays and have had friends who work at the club say he's an absolute nightmare to deal with. 

May be a dollop of recency bias in this, but for Chelsea you don't need to look much further than the recently departed Thibaut Courtois. Even outside of not turning up for training to engineer a transfer, bloke is just a throbber. A constant barrage of whinging and whining, topped off with the fact that he blatantly never gave even the slightest shit about playing for the club. In a sport of mercenaries, he still somehow seems even more mercantile. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlon King when he played for Coventry wasn't a player I could cheer on.  The Flying Cancerman did a job well for us, but I found it telling that most people hated him not for his crimes, his character or any of that frivolous nonsense.  No they hated him for signing for Birmingham for a 50% pay rise instead of staying with us.

Don't think I could be a Fleetwood fan.  Today Ched Evans managed by Joey Barton scored.  Fucking hell.

• Paid Members

My big one was a former Everton full back who played for Barnsley around '99/2000(I think) called Carl Regan. I had nothing against him for a bit, as although he wasn't the best player, he usually put the effort in.

Until one fateful Saturday afternoon at Oakwell. It just turned out that a couple of mates I went to the match with, as well as myself were skint. On the way to the match, we managed to divvy up £15 between the 3 of us to have a bet that was more a hopefull punt than a sure thing. We decided to bet on Barnsley to win 3-1, with the legend that is Bruce Dyer to score first. I can't remember who we were playing, but they must have been decent as we got about 50-1(again, may not be totally accurate), and decided if it did come in, we were out on the piss that night.

well, Brucey scored after 2 minutes to put the Reds 1-0 up, followed by someone doubling the lead shortly after. We were actually happy when the other team pulled one back t make it 2-1, and what followed was about an hour of football that was pure hell on our nerves. But then it happened. With a minute of injury time remaining, the Reds stormed forward and Bruce Dyer gets the ball on the wing, plays a killer ball across the goal which takes out the entire defense and leaves the 'keeper in no man's land. That was it, it was dropping on Regan's head about 3 yards out and we were going out on the piss. But no, the useless cunt missed the easiest chance I've ever seen at Oakwell, and with that miss, our bet and last £15 goes down the fucking drain.

Even now, if I hear the name "Regan", it reminds me just how much I hated Carl fucking Regan...

I can vouch for Guscott being an arse. Served him in a couple of shops in my days working in retail. If anyone asked him anything, all he'd do is roll his eyes and tap h is credit card on the counter. 

Exeter players I've hated... Main one was a guy called Justin Walker. We signed him the year we were relegated out of the league, 2002/03. It went to the last game, we had to win, Swansea had to drop points. Night before the big game, he was spotted out on the lash in Exeter. He played terribly the following day and we went out of the league. 

I'll also add Lee Sharpe (yes, that one. Reportedly on £1500 a week when we were skint, was utter shit in his four appearances) and a guy called Andy Roscoe who remains the worst professional footballer I've seen. And I've watched Eric Djemba-Djemba play. 

• Paid Members

At present, I don't like Schneiderlin or Holgate. 

In the past, the players I've despised the most while they were playing for Everton were Lukaku (from day one, I never liked him. I would genuinely begrudge myself cheering - at Goodish, too - if he scored), Drenthe (very, very rude and inaccessible to kids), Hibbert (The man stole a living just on the basis that he was a fan. I'd have probably done the same job. Absolute liability. No idea how he earned a wage and is held in such high regard by the fans. Unctuous rubbish out of them when it comes to that man. Up/down there with Gary Caldwell). Richard Gough (I just didn't like the man's face because he looked like a paedo from my estate. See also Stuart McCall), Anichibe (A bluffer. An absolute waster. He was a Poundland Heskey,  at best. And I thought Heskey was terrible, 80% of the time.). 

And then there's Aiden McGeady. I haven't the words.

• Paid Members

I didn't like Memphis Depay from the moment he signed. I was pretty glad when he left. He was really shit, an entitled tosser and I hope he stays in France because I don't watch much Ligue 1.

Current: Can't stand Serge Aurier. On top of being a brainless footballer, he seems a brainless human being too.

Previous:
Ben Thatcher. Horrible little cunt.
S*l Camp....I can't even type his name. Gross Tory arsehole
Harry Redknapp. I'm having a manager. Have always despised him, as corrupt as they come.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

At present, I don't like Schneiderlin or Holgate

In the past, the players I've despised the most while they were playing for Everton were Lukaku (from day one, I never liked him. I would genuinely begrudge myself cheering - at Goodish, too - if he scored), Drenthe (very, very rude and inaccessible to kids), Hibbert (The man stole a living just on the basis that he was a fan. I'd have probably done the same job. Absolute liability. No idea how he earned a wage and is held in such high regard by the fans. Unctuous rubbish out of them when it comes to that man. Up/down there with Gary Caldwell). Richard Gough (I just didn't like the man's face because he looked like a paedo from my estate. See also Stuart McCall), Anichibe (A bluffer. An absolute waster. He was a Poundland Heskey,  at best. And I thought Heskey was terrible, 80% of the time.). 

He was one of mine while he was at Oakwell. I was talking to one of the youth coaches I know that helped bring him through, and apparently, he was a lovely, down to earth lad who knew how privileged he was to have the ability to make a career out of the game. Then came his first team debut and the arrival of an agent. All of a sudden, he thought he was the second coming of Bobby Moore, and got the face on because we named the youth team gym after John Stones (to try and inspire the young 'uns) because he felt he was, and I quote, "10 times the player Stones is"...

Hleb for the Arse. The epitome of a post-success Wenger player, just a complete end product vacuum. 

Ian Bell for England. I mean, flakey middle order batsmen are England's calling card, but something about his sprout face, the way pundits raved about him despite constant failure against the big teams, and the fact that I had a dream where I was bowling a magic spell and he took me off and admonished me about something made me resent for him forever. But mostly it was because he was terrible. 

My brother hated Ray Parlour. Presumably for similar reasons that I hated Hleb, though at least Parlour would score a few and put in a shift. He's way more into irrational hatred generally though, and that's saying something because I'm pretty into it. I met Ray Parlour after he retired and he was super nice. Leroy Rosenior wasn't.

• Paid Members

As a Spurs fan, I despise Danny Rose. Utter weapon, diving cunt, constantly trying to get opposition players sent off. Nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, was a tosser after the Benfica defeat in the Thursday Cup a few years back. Recall him not looking arsed after missing a penalty in a shootout once too. Generally comes across as a prick.

Previously hated, for reasons that should be obvious to any neutrals, Adebayor. Apart from the two games a season he gave a shit.

Also Disco Benny Assou-Ekotto for never giving a shit in any game he'd not bothered doing his cornrows for, and Didier Zokora for nothing more than being shite. Paul Stalteri, ditto. See also Kaboul, Younes.

4 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

At present, I don't like Schneiderlin or Holgate. 

I actually didn't mind Drenthe, that was until he decided to be an utter arse the week of the cup semi derby by breaking into Finch Farm to have his end away with a couple of birds he picked up, meaning Moyes had no option but to drop him for the game and play Magaye Gueye instead (a decision he still gets vilified for to this day in some Blue quarters)

As for which Ex Toffees I despised, well Alexandersson was one, only ever performed for Sweden and games were almost guaranteed to be a loss with him in. Van Der Meyde was another, stole a living getting pissed for 3-4 years, gets barely remembered as the man who crossed for Dan Gosling in THAT derby

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Paul Stalteri provided me with one of my favourite live experiences ever, and he made Mark Noble cry. The fuck is wrong with you?

Those couple of points we missed out on 4th by in 2006 - Paul Stalteri. Equaliser at Sunderland and equaliser at (crucially) Arsenal - both his fault. Soft. Weak. Bottle job.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Marlon King when he played for Coventry wasn't a player I could cheer on.  

Oggy and Houchen are dyed in the wool paid up Tory members Just to ruin Cov for you.

Archived