Red Dead Redemption II

Chest Rockwell

This game is a masterpiece. I held the first one in such high esteem that it took me a while to get going with RDR2, but Rockstar excelled themselves here with possibly the most rewarding, detailed and immersive video game experience I've ever had. I have even taken to turning the game on and going for a ride just to chill out (usually southeast for maximum nostalgia, though it was quite a shock to see that Armadillo is plague-ridden in 1899). The intuitive music that the game plays as you explore will never get old and I've still got a fuckton of content to discover. Top marks, all the stars and snowflakes. I'll be playing this for years to come.

Regarding the story:

As kids we used to regularly speculate about who would play Solid Snake in a film of "Metal Gear Solid". Nowadays, it would break my heart to see a film made of Red Dead Redemption as no film or television series would be able to live up to the immense characterisation at work here. I was dreading the idea of NOT playing as John Marston  when the game came out as I love him like a brother - but I think I like Arthur Morgan even more now. That Southern drawl sounds like caramel to me now and I unashamedly welled up about eight times in the lead up to the conclusion, particularly when he says farewell to Tilly and called her 'sweetheart' in what was a moment that made everyone go "fuck, Arthur - you are just the best".

The level of detail in this game still surprises me.. I helped a guy out a few weeks ago and had to take him to a doctor in Saint Denis.. He had to have his arm amputated in the end.. Pretty brutal to watch! Fast forward to this morning when I was walking around Saint Denis and saw a guy being hanged, ended up watching it and it wasn't till afterword I noticed he only had one arm... Arthur then said that he had helped the guy out a while ago.. Amazing detail!! I love this game. 

• Paid Members

I posse-ed up with a couple of my friends last night for the first time, man what a laugh. A good few hours of pissing about, doing some missions, exploring New Austin. My command of 'right let's sneak up on these fools' was often ruined by one of my friend's insistence to charge in on his horse like a madman.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:02 AM, PunkStep said:

I posse-ed up with a couple of my friends last night for the first time, man what a laugh. A good few hours of pissing about, doing some missions, exploring New Austin. My command of 'right let's sneak up on these fools' was often ruined by one of my friend's insistence to charge in on his horse like a madman.

Leeeeroy Jenkins!

I'm on Chapter 6 now. Best game ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to find a couple of hours and go exploring again. There are videos on instagram popping up with strange buildings and stuff people are finding in the middle of nowhere.

I've walked around the run down fort twice and i've seen that there is a trap door there so you can go under it.

1 hour ago, Guy Bifkin said:

I finished up Chapter 6 while off work with man flu for added authenticity. 

I topped the authenticity, it was great that people started to understand my illness when they played this game.  Of course, I had it worse.