Sega Mega Drive vs Super Nintendo: 16 Bit WarGames

FLips

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ghouls and Ghosts would be one of my five if I ever get around to doing a proper list in here. I think that was multi platform though? Was it any good on the SNES? Probably not.

As above... but also, it’s still absolutely solid. Brilliant game, but bloody hard.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Mega Drive kid. When I finally got one, having been dealing with the 13 minute load times of my Amstrad CPC464, it was like being dragged in to the next century.The graphics, the sound, everything was mind-blowing. I played SNES at friends houses at the time and I regularly play old console games at a mates these days and there's still something about SNES I don't like, think it's a combination of the control pad and the sound. I'm way happier playing with three buttons on Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat than I am 4 buttons for some reason.

5. The Lion King.

The_Lion_King.png

Along with Mega Games 1 this was the first game we owned on Mega Drive. Just a good, solid platform game that looks beautiful with a good soundtrack. Just pips Aladdin.

4. Micro Machines

Micro_Machines_2_Mega_Drive_ingame.jpg.gif

Micro Machines was mental. Two additional ports on the game cartridge so you could play with four players. It was lightning quick and you were constantly falling off the track but the multi player element meant it got a lot of use in our house as there was no having to take it in lives like you would with other games.

3. Street Racer

Street_Racer_1.png

I bloody love Street Racer. Totally different to other racers, every character had a couple of cool abilities but we always played as Helmut or the dude on the magic carpet. The rumble and football modes added some good twists when you got fed up of track racing.

2. X-Men

x-men-1-marvel-xmen-para-sega-mega-drive-1-2-3-344011-MLB20461490504_102015-F.jpg?square=false

Just gets in ahead of Streets Of Rage 2 and Turtles for side scrolling fighting games. The co-op mode was good fun, especially if you worked properly as a team and one of you was Wolverine and could heal the other character.

1. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

GTOXd.jpg

I'd been mesmerised by the first Mortal Kombat when it first came out in the arcade. 2 is arguably the best of the series but the Ultimate version of 3, with the extra characters and some of the new finishers clinches the top spot for me. That and my fucking Nan of all people bought it me for Christmas 1995.

Notable mentions to Chuck Rock, Ren and Stimpy, FIFA 95, Mega Bomberman Bubsy and that Taz game

The strangest thing about the exclusivity/multiformat issue in those days is that sometimes you'd get two completely different versions of supposedly the same game - platformers based on Disney animated movies being prime examples.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I have a SNES mini and I even spent a good hour playing Donkey Kong Country with my daughter last weekend. My kids then spent a bit of time playing Street Fighter 2 afterwards, and I've pumped plenty of hours into Zelda and Super Mario World. It's incredible how playable a lot of the games still are. So for me it's definitely a bit of both. I had the Mega Drive collection on Xbox 360 and there were only a handful of games I'd happily play- mostly the Sonic ones.

Yeah the mini SNES is a really canny product. Majority of the games chosen are good picks. Still room for a second instalment which I assume will happen at some point, if the retro wave continues.

The mega drive disk for the Xbox was utter shit, mind, I hate any of those disks, I just can’t get in to the game the same way I can compared to playing the original or at least using it’s proper joy pad. 

The mini Mega Drive is upcoming but the concern is about who is making it. AtGames knocked out the Flashback and the emulation was shite. They also showed a demo in April which didn’t have a cartridge. They’re now saying it will have a cart slot, along with other features. Who know, but they need to improve on previous products that’s for sure.

• Paid Members

Aladdin and Micro Machines were great games too, I think I had those for the Megadrive. I never bothered with Ghouls n Ghosts though because I nearly died in real life trying to do the first fucking level on Ghosts 'n Goblins. Games for masochists.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

The mini Mega Drive is upcoming but the concern is about who is making it. AtGames knocked out the Flashback and the emulation was shite. They also showed a demo in April which didn’t have a cartridge. They’re now saying it will have a cart slot, along with other features. Who know, but they need to improve on previous products that’s for sure.

I too am not too hopeful on the quality of a MegaDrive mini. I've had a few gifted to me throughout my years and they've all played/sounded terrible. A mate of mine busted out the new one last year and Streets Of Rage sounded like it was dragged through a meat grinder.

• Paid Members
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Aladdin and Micro Machines were great games too, I think I had those for the Megadrive. I never bothered with Ghouls n Ghosts though because I nearly died in real life trying to do the first fucking level on Ghosts 'n Goblins. Games for masochists.

Ghouls and Ghosts was mostly tough but fair, except for two things -

1) you had to restart the game from the beginning when you got to the end and complete it again with a special weapon to get to fight the end boss

2) if you got to the big giant worm boss with the wrong special weapon it was impossible to get past him.

18 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

That's the one I have...My brother who lives in the states bought it for me for Christmas.  It's pretty fun but the control pads aren't up to much.  Feels like they're going to break in your hand so I ended up buys some actual ones from a local games shop. It's an alright emulator but if your TV is more than 24 inches then it pixelates horribly.

I was also a Mega Drive kid, but my mate had a SNES so I'd go over and play Mario Kart, Mario World and a few games compatible with the Super Scope which escape my mind.  Since I owned it, the Mega Drive just pips it for me cause of my obsessions with completing X-Men, Micro Machines, Sonic Spinball and Mortal Kombat.  I also became an NHL and NFL fan from playing NHL/Madden 94 on it.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Yep, that bottom one is the exact model my mate has. Awful emulation. I had those ones from years ago, where it was an oversized contrioller with 6 games in-built and that's about a decade ago. How they've not learnt how to correctly emulate since then is mind boggling, especially seeing how easy it is to do on Raspberry Pie or a R4 card.

• Paid Members

Indeed, however there is rumours of a new updated one. I always assumed that the Japanese looking one was the one in question. A few Sega traders at the last convention I was at we’re on about an updated one. Either way, if there is, it’s a bit shit that AT have the contract again.

I was a SNES lad through and through. Probably wouldn't have kept same if my parents hadn't bought me it for Christmas 92 or 93 when I begged for it. 

I'll add photos in later if I get time but these were probably my top 5 games.

5. Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Probably my favourite street fighter as it had all the characters playable, different colored sprites but still esentially the arcade classic. Getting out the instruction manual and learning all the moves on 2 player was frustratingly fun.

4. Zombies ate my neighbours

I found this game on demo in a comet store while my parents were shopping for some big purchase. We played through the first 10 or so levels and became hooked. Such a good game especially 2 player if you could communicate well enough not to be stuck trying to move the screen in the opposite directions. The characters were awesome horror parodies and the selection of weapons insane. When I eventually got a copy for home I think I got to level 35 or something before it was too difficult if you didn't have a shit load of potions and weapons. Being around 10 having the time to do that wasn't easy with my mum so I just replayed what I'd already done.

3. Chrono Trigger.

I'm actually cheating here as I never played this as a kid sadly but picking it up as an adult this still holds up as one of the best RPG games ever. How this wasn't a final fantasy I don't know.

2. Super Mario World

Great graphics, secrets and challenges. It was so similar to smb3 but aesthetically different and still pleasing. The music still cheers me up alone. Sadly it's one I feel never plays quite right on emulation, the response time is never quite right so you have more accidents when jumping 

1. Super Mario Kart

Never owned it but borrowed very regularly from mates. For me this was the first modern racer where the track actually felt like it had depth and was really there. Other racers I'd played before that it was more the ground was moving and you were standing still like outrun or road rash style graphics. So having more visible twists and turns was wonderful. The battle games were fantastic 2 but am I right in thinking that was only 2 player not single player.

Other honerable mentions include star wing, Zelda and the doom port.

The mega drive was always what some friends had and was a good crack for an afternoon on something different has never had the playability for me lo g term bar sonic. I remember going to play Street fighter and thinking what the fuck when my mate tolde I had to press mode to change from punch to kick. 

Archived