Sega Mega Drive vs Super Nintendo: 16 Bit WarGames

FLips

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Glad to see a mention of Desert Strike, another really good Megadrive title.

I was never really interested in RPGs, I did give Zelda a go on the SNES but never quite got into it.

42 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Is it unanimously agreed also that games that appeared on both consoles sounded far superior on the Mega Drive?

Because they did.

The Mega Drive had a technically inferior soundchip but I prefer a lot of its music, SNES games sounded warmer and there were more instruments to play with but that cold electronic sound on the Sega console is lovely.

Imagine Streets of Rage 2 on the SNES.. the songs wouldn't be such bangers.

BUT..

I know I'm a broken record here but the sounds the Amiga could put out 😍

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Is it unanimously agreed also that games that appeared on both consoles sounded far superior on the Mega Drive?

Because they did.

No!! Haven't you read my many posts talking about Street Fighter 2?

That does make you think about how few multi-platform games there actually was back in the day. Crazy isn't it, in this day and age the number of platform-exclusive titles are few and far between, but back then it was the majority. The main ones that stand out to me are big licensing games, like games for the Olympics and big blockbuster movies etc.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

No!! Haven't you read my many posts talking about Street Fighter 2?

That does make you think about how few multi-platform games there actually was back in the day. Crazy isn't it, in this day and age the number of platform-exclusive titles are few and far between, but back then it was the majority. The main ones that stand out to me are big licensing games, like games for the Olympics and big blockbuster movies etc.

Indeed, bar the odd franchise character, it’s hugely rare to se an exclusive, or if you do, it’s usually in relation to a time period, eg - comes out on PS first then Xbox 3 months later, but even then, that was more PS2/XBOX. 

Publishing and distribution is so mental these days.

What is interesting about this whole discussion is how people are voting. I’d be interested to know how many are voting from a memory/nostalgia POV and how many own old consoles and still play them regularly.

I’m personally in the latter camp as I run retro games nights, so own quite a number and play pretty regularly. I wonder if this impacts on my decision making, compared to those voting on via nostalgia.

• Paid Members

I'm a SNES lad, it's been established. I had both as a kid though so I've got a great appreciated of Sega's 16-bit effort. Whilst the MegaDrive was more akin to experimentation and taking risks with games (that sometimes didn't pay off) the overall quality and longevity of the SNES titles trumps it. There are some MegaDrive games I loved as a kid which play like shit now, like SONIC 2 YOU INCREDULOUS BASTARDS. To even think for a second that Sonic fucking 2, with it's floaty controls, lazy level design  and piss-poor game length, is better than Mario World is immoral and should see you sent straight to the guillotine. There's a reason why Nintendo are still whirling out brilliant Mario titles and Sonic is just floundering with the anime geeks; because he was a one-trick pony who didn't have enough depth to go toe-to-toe with the big dogs. Woof Woof!

Anyway, most of my SNES brethren have listed the greats (Mario World, Zelda, Mario Kart, DK, Street Figher) so I'll go with a wildcard list of games I really loved that don't get the same attention they truly deserve.

5. Goof Troop

goof_troop_snes.png

Oh look. it's SNES and their mighty rep for being dead good at pumping out licensed games. A rather fantastic co-op adventure/puzzler that works just as good playing alone too.

4. Pac-Attack

300x.jpg

What do you get when take two of the most famous games of all time, Pac Man and Tetris, and mix them together? Pac-Attack! One of the most addictive and fun puzzlers I've ever played. Hard as nails sometimes but I kept coming back for more. 

3. Plok

Plok!%20(E).png

Probably the most underated SNES game ever. A magical platformer with tons of wit and bags of character. It's so difficult that I still haven't completed it but the colourful world and satisfying action kept me coming back for one more go.

2. Super Metroid

86178893-item-main-SNES-SMETROID-2.jpg

Now we're fucking talking! Sonic 2? Sonic fucking 2? How do you compare that to this massive, incredibly detailed sci-fi platformer with great power-ups and secrets out the wazoo? It's dripping with atmosphere and finely tuned action. My love for this game was increased when I played through Axiom Verge last year, which is essentially a love letter to Metroid.

1. Super Castlevania 4

Super_Castlevania_IV_dungeon_comparison_

A masterclass in platform games. A masterclass in action games. A masterclass in game soundtracks. Just an absolute masterclass in everything that makes gaming great. A world beater.

• Paid Members

Unless you count arcade conversions, that is. It was always fascinating to me when a conversion or a film tie-in was released for multiple platforms and you'd get that one system that had a version that was significantly better or shitter than the others.

I remember when they released Chase HQ for home systems and it got rave reviews across the board - except for the C64 version which was fucking terrible. What happened there? I was gutted, I'd been waiting ages for it.

Going back to the original topic, you did get a fair few more multi-platform games than people realised. Wasn't Zool multi-platform? And the James Pond games. I think Zombies Ate My Neighbours (GREAT game) was as well.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Going back to the original topic, you did get a fair few more multi-platform games than people realised. Wasn't Zool multi-platform? And the James Pond games. I think Zombies Ate My Neighbours (GREAT game) was as well.

Defo, quite a lot were multi, just that there was equally as many exclusives, at least that’s how it feels. Every release felt pretty special too, the sheer volume in the market now is overwhelming.

Z.A.M.N is a fucking mint 2 player game. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

What is interesting about this whole discussion is how people are voting. I’d be interested to know how many are voting from a memory/nostalgia POV and how many own old consoles and still play them regularly.

I have a SNES mini and I even spent a good hour playing Donkey Kong Country with my daughter last weekend. My kids then spent a bit of time playing Street Fighter 2 afterwards, and I've pumped plenty of hours into Zelda and Super Mario World. It's incredible how playable a lot of the games still are. So for me it's definitely a bit of both. I had the Mega Drive collection on Xbox 360 and there were only a handful of games I'd happily play- mostly the Sonic ones.

18 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Unless you count arcade conversions, that is. It was always fascinating to me when a conversion or a film tie-in was released for multiple platforms and you'd get that one system that had a version that was significantly better or shitter than the others.

Oh yes, I def wasn't counting the arcade versions, especially as they were always vastly superior. It's a shame no console at the time was powerful enough for an All Points Bulletin port, that was my favourite arcade game. Definitely the inspiration for the first GTA game.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ghouls and Ghosts would be one of my five if I ever get around to doing a proper list in here. I think that was multi platform though? Was it any good on the SNES? Probably not.

G&G was SUPER Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES, and quite different. Still great, just different. The Mega Drive version was arcade perfect.

Archived