Fuck me, that was well produced! (Wrestling Edition)

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Some of the suggestions in the Off-Topic thread have set me to thinking. We've seen some excellent stuff as wrestling fans, haven't we? Promos and vignettes are the obvious, but I'm sure there's plenty to discuss about entrance themes, event effects, PPVs and shows in terms of production.

There are plenty of things to choose from, but for my first contribution, it has to be the Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker re-match build-up promo. The video itself is one of the best things I've ever seen in wrestling, telling a whole saga in five minutes, and a perfect choice of soundtrack to reflect HBK's descent into obsession. But the fact that it was promoting a re-match, something unheard-of for a consecutive WM, and certainly for 'Taker, not to mention that the idea of a re-match, you would think, wouldn't have much appeal to fans, and it becomes contextually a brilliant piece of work. It builds up anticipation for this match as if it were almost a fresh match-up, but it has an extra dimension that the previous one didn't have before, and that's prior to taking into consideration the special stip of HBK's career being on the line.

Anyway, enough pre-amble. Enjoy!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a great one recently put out by OTT for a match that hasn't even taken place yet, featuring Jordan Devlin and WALTER. Effectively tells the story, gets across the characters and their motivations, and presents both wrestlers as stars, something that's greatly amiss within modern WWE.

4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Maybe I missed it but it didn't say when and where the match is taking place?

No, you're correct it doesn't. The YouTube link has all relevant information included within the video description however.

Whilst I'm here, I'll chuck in another one, this time the ring entrances from Onita and Chono from NJPW's January 4th show in 1999. The image of Onita sitting on the ramp smoking a cig whilst having all sorts of rubbish and litter hurled at him is a magnificent visual. Two definitive contrasts straight from the off.

58 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

No, you're correct it doesn't

Then as slick as the vid is, and it is, it is missing the vital part. Sure it sets the scene excellently but doesn't tell you how to see the next scene.  It's a no from me.

• Paid Members

This blew me away at the time, the production was like nothing WWE were putting out at the time and as someone mentioned at the time, looked like a Hype Williams effort. Using Skrillex rather than some metal band helped it stand out, too. Proper on on the pulse, like when they used Beautiful People for Raw in the late 90s.

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Nothing screams 1995 more then this

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Just shows how ahead of its time it was.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Nothing screams 1995 more then this

Classic 😂

I'm not sure the Austin/Rock sit-down qualifies. It's a brilliant piece of TV but for me, that's solely down to what the two guys say. And at a time when they wouldn't have been overly produced. The fact they have to sidestep the Debra roadblock (fuck where you thinking Vince?) is another issue.

That running up that hill promo might be the best thing the company have ever put together. It's magnificent.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Classic 😂

I'm not sure the Austin/Rock sit-down qualifies. It's a brilliant piece of TV but for me, that's solely down to what the two guys say. And at a time when they wouldn't have been overly produced. The fact they have to sidestep the Debra roadblock (fuck where you thinking Vince?) is another issue.

That running up that hill promo might be the best thing the company have ever put together. It's magnificent.

In my defense I was half asleep and couldn't be bothered to fact check thinking it must have been after Hulk left in 1993 and not realizing it was that soon after.I am clearly getting old 😂

Considering how bad the Nexus/Cena angle really was, watching this well produced promo video hyping the Free or Fired main event you would have thought it was the best angle of all time.

Archived