The UKFF's FAVOURITE Pay Per View

WeeAl

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Speaking as someone who only saw Stone Cold first-hand in his dreadful autumn 2000 'kill EVERYONE' run, I was perfectly happy with the ending. And as someone who never saw nor gave a toss about WCW, I wasn't thinking about eras of wrestling. My golden era didn't finish until Eddie lost the belt in '04.

Jesus, you're a generous/gullible chap. half of WWE's output in 2002 was amongst the worst pro-wrestling I've ever seen. 2003 wasn't much better on the Raw side. I didn't come away from WM 17 thinking things were done. We still had the invasion to look forward to. But it was clear after the Invasion bombed that we were on a slippery slope which we've never really got off.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Jesus, you're a generous/gullible chap. half of WWE's output in 2002 was amongst the worst pro-wrestling I've ever seen. 2003 wasn't much better on the Raw side. I didn't come away from WM 17 thinking things were done. We still had the invasion to look forward to. But it was clear after the Invasion bombed that we were on a slippery slope which we've never really got off.

Oh, looking back I don't deny it (Raw especially). But at the time, with my SmackDown on Sky One every Saturday, I was still thoroughly enjoying my wrestling fix. I only started thinking there was a bit of a downturn when single-brand PPVs started coming in, but even then I'd still watch each weekend.

• Paid Members

Survivor Series 1996

The rest aren't in order, but this one is my favourite. I had started watching wrestling the month before this show, but I couldn't see Survivor Series itself until months later when it came out on VHS. It ended up being the first wrestling tape that I bought new (I had picked up other's in the meantime that were lent from the friend that got me started watching this carry on, or whatever tapes had turned up in the second hand video shops I ventured into). 

So needless to say, I couldn't wait for this one when I found it on the shelf. I loved the unique entrance for MSG. The stories leading up to Bret/Austin and Sid/Shawn had been my first taste of the WWF, and both were built up pretty damn greatly. The matches were fucking brilliant too. The pre-match VT for both were excellent and I still get all warm and fuzzy inside when I hear that background music to the VT for Sid and Shawn. The undercard is pretty damn solid as well. I could stick this on any day and melt away back to times when things were simpler, wrestling was everything, and Friday night was like Christmas morning. 35db2cf63180f24ff9360eb4eacbe070-crop-north.jpg

SummerSlam 1998

1998 was just something else. WWF and WCW were so hot, merchandise was fucking everywhere. Anything and everything had Steve Austin's face plastered all over it. We went to Blackpool on our holidays that summer and I think I still have framed photos, key rings, pins, posters, post cards and God knows what else with Stone Cold staring back at me, all from that trip. This show was built on a huge wave of momentum of probably the hottest Summer in wrestling, and build it well they did. This show is such an easy watch, along with the Raw's leading up to it and it delivered on the night. No PPV that year felt more '1998' than this one. Where some shows of you watch them back can tend to have a roster that feels like a mix of eras, this one doesn't. It captures the time perfectly.

In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede 

I love 1997 to death. It's one of WWF's best ever years, no doubt. There's some right shite going on in 1997 though. Don't let anyone kid you on that. The Godwinns, all the mini's, The Headbangers, The Sultan, DOA, Los Boricuas etc. But the good stuff? Man, it's possibly the greatest, loveliest most fabulous good stuff WWF ever did. That's wrestling though. What's bad is usually pretty bad and that's 90% of it. What we watch for is the other 10% - which is pretty damn great. Bret Hart Vs Steve Austin made me a wrestling fan. I have a soft spot for all the PPV's in 1997 but how I can never fail to get all misty eyed over that 10 man tag. It was perfect. 

WrestleMania 24

The only modern show on the list, and even then it's now 10 years old. This was the first Wrestle Mania I attended and still my favourite. I can't quite describe how it felt to be there, but in a way it felt like the end of a journey? Discovering wrestling in 1996, when everything was hard to get your hands on and it was a complete treat to see a full show on TV, never mind the hunt to be able to find merchandise that you could afford on pocket money as a child, and never fathoming being at something like a WrestleMania. I went to my first WWF house show in 2002, Raw in 2004 in Manchester, the whole smark fan phase began when I got a computer in 2002, and I had came out the other side, still a fan of the oily men in pants. This was the destination. What made it even better was it was a 4 day trip, we slept about 15 or 16 hours the whole weekend as we wanted to do everything and I was there with my friend that got me started on wrestling and it was his first time going to a PPV as well. We got a six pack of beer off of a vendor outside the stadium, sat on a kerb in the Florida sun and just soaked it all in. It was the grandaddy of 'em all God dammit and there we were with our tickets that we still couldn't believe were real, finally experiencing what it was like to be at the show that we looked forward to all year round. It ended up being a really good 'Mania as well, but even if it hadn't of been, you would have had a damn hard job getting the smile off of my face that night. 

Survivor Series 1989

Obviously, I started watching around the build up to Survivors '96. So the first thing I did was ask my mate if he had any Survivor Series tapes. He sure steered me right when he chose to lend me this one. When I put it on for the first time I thought " what in the heck is this? Who are all these mentals, especially the guy screaming in the background, and why do I already love them so much?" That 3 or 4 minute opening VT did more to establish the characters of a whole roster, than WWE can do today with about 8 hours a week. I finished watching it and I would hazard a guess that I wasn't 30 seconds until I was hanging out of a box, at some car boot sale, feet dangling, treating the newly discovered, battered second hand Hasbro's as if they were buried treasure. 

Can't believe nobody has said Summerslam 1992 yet. Loads of nostalgia for me because it was the first tape I ever owned, having got it for Christmas '92 and watched it constantly.

The six man tag opener is great fun and it's a shame it gets cut off the Network/ tagged classic version. Michaels/ Martell is brilliant and with a fun stip, the greatest of all time, Crush, squashes the fuck out of Repo Man, L.O.D vs Money Inc is a great tag match and I've always loved the Undertaker vs Kamala match for the entrance, Kamala's face after the sit up and Taker stalking him back up the aisle. You've got a classic in Bret vs Bulldog but I think the WWF title match before it between Macho Man and Ultimate Warrior is even better. I had so much emotional investment in that at the time and Flair and Perfect play their parts beautifully. It's a show I can always stick on when I can't think of what else to watch.

• Paid Members

I think I nominated SummerSlam 1992 when SCG did their over-reated stuff pod. Main event is obviously good. Savage/Warrior is OK but doesn't hold a candle to WM7. The undercard is all-time worst, dogshit level stuff that wouldn't be out of place on a 1999 UK only PPV.

• Moderators

Refusing to take part until people acknowledge the existence of NWA/WCW. 

Great American Bash '89
Great American Bash '89
Great American Bash '89
Dare you to at least try something other than WWpissingF/E
Great American Bash '89

• Paid Members

I was wondering where the love was for that show Butch. Undoubtedly fantastic, and I wish I would have seen it earlier. I never got to watch it in full until I signed up to the Network a couple of years ago. 

• Paid Members

Sorry for the bump, but it's just a reminder to anyone that still wants to nominate any PPV's, I'll be putting the poll up tomorrow morning, so you can send them accross tonight or in the morning if you wish. 

• Paid Members
On 8/10/2018 at 4:46 AM, PowerButchi said:

Refusing to take part until people acknowledge the existence of NWA/WCW. 

Hide contents

Great American Bash '89
Great American Bash '89
Great American Bash '89
Dare you to at least try something other than WWpissingF/E
Great American Bash '89

It is a good show. I have it on a video t hat was bought for me one year as a birthday present.

Archived