Fuck me, that was well produced!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

The second I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of the song 'Gaslighting Abbie' by Steely Dan.

Usually anything from the Aja album onwards (including Fagens solo albums) are stunningly well produced, but there's something near perfect about this song. I can't explain it, but everything on this track stands out. Everything has a purpose and there is not one note, beat or phonetic missed or wasted. It's just absolutely gorgeous to listen to. I can't do it justice, just have a listen and let your chin turn itself inside out:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, if you're putting up Steely Dan, this is my favourite (yes, it's one of the most obvious ones, but it's still awesome):

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

But why is it particularly well produced, bomber?

I lack the ability to describe it technically, but it just sounds well-produced to me. The arrangement sounds balanced, no single instrumental track taking over at the expense of the others, the vocals sound clean, and the whole overall feel of it is that it's well-crafted and smooth.

• Paid Members

This Rik Mayall tribute from the BBC has always stayed with me. I thought it was a really lovely piece. The music is great and that spoken word bit of the Young Ones lyrics is fantastic.  

When it comes to music, Untrue by Burial is phenomenally produced by electronic music standards. I've never heard a piece of music that sends you straight into a time and place while listening to it like this one does. Regardless of where you're from or where you are, you're suddenly transported to a night bus in south London at 1am on a rainy winter night when you listen to it. All completely sampled, from early 90's acid house and DnB tracks to 16-bit video game sound tracks to Beyonce & Christina Aguilera to David Lynch movies. It sounds like nothing else that's ever been made before or since.

I think it's ones of the greatest sounding records ever made. So much so that I got the cover tattoo'd on my arm.

Also, 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fair play, Kubrick.

• 4 weeks later...

I know Formula One is a take it or leave it thing these days but thought this was brilliantly produced (5-6 years ago when Sky won the rights) in that its just back ground music with no voice overs with the sounds of the cars/mechanics and everything else going on during the race.

It's almost aimed at the smart fans as well focusing on the garage/pits as well as the cars.

Archived