Fuck me, that was well produced!

PowerButchi

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading through this thread and, clearly coming at it from the perspective of a lesser spotted green-horned pleb from the planet n00b, can someone please tell me what defines the production of a track as opposed to the way it's written, arranged or played?

Its kinda difficult to explain since producing is ultimately how a listener perceives it. Some might prefer the vocals pushed back so the instrumentation is more audible or the other way round. 

Usually the best songs & albums come down to how the song is mixed & mastered. There is an art to it which is why the top producers are so sought after. 

Interesting article with Quincy Jones talking about the mixing and production of Thriller

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/thriller-how-michael-jackson-and-quincy-jones-made-the-bestselling-album-of-all-time-199391/

I believe the original mix sounded bad so they both had to go back in and fix it. The original version of Thriller album to my knowledge hasn't ever been released so I'm assuming they fixed the master tapes rather than starting from scratch.

Very interesting article with engineer Bruce Swedien which goes into a bit more technical detail too

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/bruce-swedien-recording-michael-jackson

• Moderators

On this topic.. Here's a video I was watching the other day about why And Justice For All is so terribly produced. Spoilers - it's Lars's fault.

Man - I know this is the complete opposite of what this thread is about, but what I wouldn't give for a well mixed version of this album....

• Paid Members

Very interesting watch! I think AJFA is the last bastion of quality by Metallica before they resorted to absolute schlock and shit, but I can see why the mix would be bothersome to some. At least it wasn't 'Load' or 'Re-Load'...or 'St.Anger'...or that self-titled bag of bollocks.

• Paid Members

I've honestly never heard anyone, apart from Metallica die hards, say they like Load, not even a little bit. I'm not a huge Metallica fan by any means but I've listened to everything they've released and, for me, there's a huge drop off after AJFA. I'm curious as to what songs from Load you find to be good, I'll happily give them a re-listen.

St. Anger though, is just incredibly bad, from every standpoint. Whoever said "Yeah Lars, that snare drum sounds great!" needs booting out of the music industry. I'd wager that Lars himself said it, in third person.

• Moderators

You have to just judge it on its own merits, and not compare it to their early albums. It's probably easier if you just consider it two separate bands. Have a re-listen to Load if you haven't heard it in a long time. There's some really standout tracks. The Outlaw Torn is one of my favourite Metallica songs full stop. It just builds fantastically.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Still the finest marriage of music and visuals for a TV show for me.

This was why I posted that "Best downloader" thread. This track is now my ringtone.

The first thing that springs to mind with a thread like this is pretty much any BBC Sport 'end of event' package. There have been some terrific ones over the years - this one set to Craig Armstrong's 'The Incredible Hulk' score is excellent, as well as BBC F1's two Alistair Griffin video packages (the former of which actually provided Sky F1 with their intro theme) and there's a corking Euro 2012 package set to Imogen Heap's 'Thriller' cover, but an underrated, completely missed one is this, from the season of Match of the Day 2 with Colin Murray:

Probably helps that I personally love Elbow, but the lyrics fit the scenarios so well in this montage. Everything about it is spot on. I go back and watch it every so often just to remind myself how brilliant a few images set to music can be when it's done with precision and meaning. If there's anyone that can match WWE and their terrific video packages (My Way, Running Up That Hill etc.) it's the Beeb's sports division

Archived