Fuck me, that was well produced!

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Basically, media which was produced greatly and why. 

My gambit is Lambie-Nairn's Channel 4 "blocks" logo, followed by Lord David "Jeans On" Dundas' four note sting (Still the greatest four note sting, and they've started using it again now, they did stop and change it in like 1992 as they had to pay him about a quid every ident play and he was making a few grand a week), and whomever produced the start of channel 4 video. It ebbs, flows, and suits every second, It's tremendous production. Every soft bit, every hard bit, each is related to the programming to come (before it got shit)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Couple of things by Nile Rodgers always leap out for me when I think of songs lifted into the stratosphere largely due to his production quality. Upside Down by Diana Ross and Let's Dance by Bowie are so well put together and slick that they make up for not necessarily being the best songs. Let's Dance I really don't think is much without Rodger's intervention and it ended up being a monstrous hit. 

• Paid Members

I know this is off-topic, but WWE’s production crew have been pumping out excellent video hype packages for some time now and I think they’re quite underrated. Easy to forget sometimes, particularly if it’s for a feud or product you’re not particularly interested in, but you can’t knock their production crew. 

On a similar note I always thought Top Gear was exceptionally well put together when it was effectively relaunched in the early noughties in terms of some of the car profile packages they’d run. Again, easy to forget considering it was presented by three tosspots, but going by production values alone they put some realy tidy stuff together. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

On a similar note I always thought Top Gear was exceptionally well put together when it was effectively relaunched in the early noughties in terms of some of the car profile packages they’d run. Again, easy to forget considering it was presented by three tosspots, but going by production values alone they put some realy tidy stuff together. 

I'd agree on that, especially over the first few new series when it wasn't blindingly obvious everything was going to involve tracking shots and aluminium brush filters. Even some of the early special episodes, such as the Botswana challenge, were a cut above the vast majority of UK series at that time. 

• Paid Members

I have always found this exceptional as a production. So much going on but it all works together.

I was a huge Neptunes/N*E*R*D fan and some of their productions are amazing. This stands out for me as a production standout but most of their 99/2004 out put could be applicable. And to think Michael Jackson rejected it before he even heard it!

I've never heard that outro to I Feel For You before.

The actual production sounds dated now but I always thought the idea of sampling Are Friends Electric? by Gary Numan whilst singing Freak Like Me by Adina Howard over it was nifty. I like how it ends with the riff change too.

On a more high brow note, Black Cow by Steely Dan. I love how the song becomes more layered as it goes on from a simple bass riff, drums and keys.

And this is similar for that. It also sounds timeless despite coming out some 30 years ago. Could easily be a song released today.

Without wanting to fill this up with too many examples, I was literally brought to tears by a particular part in this recently (I never get goosebumps but I tend to cry for some reason).

Around about 12:20 - 22:20 where it transitions. He's incredible in that he's not just DJing but creating music with his keyboard, MIDI controllers, effects controllers etc. as well as using the turntable and samples. I think the pacing and build up in this is great though. The crowd being so into it is the icing on the cake.

36 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

The actual production sounds dated now but I always thought the idea of sampling Are Friends Electric? by Gary Numan whilst singing Freak Like Me by Adina Howard over it was nifty. I like how it ends with the riff change too.

This is actually a cover of a white label mash up that was setting the dance floors alight, I agree, it's cracking.

I'm coming at this from a different direction, one of Black Metal's most well known traits is the utter shitness of its production to the point that I've known bands to record on something they found at Toys R Us and the subsequent music sounds like a fart in an empty can of Kestrel Super but every now and then (more so now) there are exceptions and the first one that really caught my ears was Dimmu Borgir who were producing super slick songs with orchestral pieces and even properly mixed clean vocals.

Of course this would be laughed at and shat on by the spotty nerds who thought they were well 'ard because they screamed what were likely racist lyrics into a Poundland microphone in their bedroom while wearing gimp spikes around their malnourished wrists.

I'm a massive hip hop fan, but feel that choosing something from there is a bit too obvious. Was going to go for something by Timbaland, then thought about some of the Teddy Riley stuff (especially with Guy), but for me, the most well produced thing of all time is Destiny Child's The Writing's On The Wall.

She'kspere, Rodney Jerkins (even though he made better hits) have never been more effiicient, the group were confident enough to start writing and producing their own tracks, and it's the last album with the original line up. It's the best produced R&B album of all time.

Go listen to those guitar licks on "No Good" or the synth stabs that start off "Bills, Bills, Bills" and tell me that is not the shit...

I detested this album when it came out as I was a "backpack hip hop fan" in 2000 who would've spat on Timbaland, Neptunes or any of the other R&B people if I'd seen them, but then a few years ago, this album was played in full on a drive to the beach on a decent sound system, and it clicked. It's incredible, unique, and most importantly, has some bangers on it.

There is some amazingly produced tracks of the late 90's/early 2000's R&B genre. Another of which is Brandy & Monica's "The Boy Is Mine". An absolute storming track.

"You trifliiiiiing, good for nothing type of brother..."

Good shout. I grew up listening to them as a young kid through my sister but just thought of them as pop until I read years later that Hot Chip were influenced by them and listened with fresher ears. I'm not that fussed by Hot Chip, but artists from a different genre talking about them piqued my interest. The production is great as the music moves so much. The unconventional beats keep it interesting and I like that there's pauses and bits where the beat drops out to keep it fresh and the focus on the singer/line.

Along these lines, Waterfalls by TLC is smooth as fuck. The bass line, horns, great chorus. Not that keen on Lisa Left Eye's rap on it to be honest but the radio version doesn't include it. Other songs from that album, Crazysexycool, have great production too.

@Sphinx completely agree, an incredible song. No Scrubs is another example of the excellence that She'kspere had in the late 90s despite his awful name.

For another example of near note-perfectly produced R&B, Bobby Brown's second album "Don't Be Cruel" is a genre masterpiece. The album starts off with Don't Be Cruel, My Prerogative, Roni, Rock Wit'cha and Every Little Step. It is slick as fuck.

• Paid Members

Lookout Weekend and When I Hear Music, by Debbie Deb — it was rough the way that the label pretended that Debbie Deb wasn't the person that she actually was, but Pretty Tony basically worked a miracle with someone of very little talent. Really deep, layered production. Similar with Shannon (Let The Music Play, and especially Give Me Tonight), and it lead to a lot of people trying the same trick with the Freestyle genre, and mainly failing. 

Still the finest marriage of music and visuals for a TV show for me.

When Ronnie Hazelhurst passed, Matt Berry paid tribute on a Charlie Brooker show about TV themes and how they're a dying breed.  Even all these years later, he is right.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Still the finest marriage of music and visuals for a TV show for me

When Ronnie Hazelhurst passed, Matt Berry paid tribute on a Charlie Brooker show about TV themes and how they're a dying breed.  Even all these years later, he is right.

I remember seeing that at the time and feeling guilty for never realising his brilliance. You know Matt Berry is releasing an album of classic theme tunes shortly right?

Archived