Skateboards, BMX and Fruit Booters

Kaz Hayashi

That's like me, certain tricks I do better switch than regular, like I can get more pop off a nollie than an ollie. I actually learned to kickflip before i could ollie properly and i find switch heel flips easier than regular ones. I can also land FS 360 flips easier than BS tres because my right leg is stronger than my left. Also fuck the Bruins, GO DEVILS!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Keeping inline with Fin Balor, I've decided to get some razzle dazzle white boots of my own. I always adored the Roces M12 as a kid, so after flogging loads of old shit on ebay, I've treated myself to these beauts.. 

Screenshot_20190114-145832_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a2a27bd68fe09bd09dea028f4600247d.jpg

Currently waiting for them to be shipped from Italy. They look so lovely, it'll be a shame to see them scuffed and marked soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Following on from my "I'm old, overweight and thinking of learning to skate" in the confessional thread. I'm 19 and a bit stone with a dodgy left knee, a gut and moobs. Is an 8.25 deck going to be sufficient? What wheels are best for a chubster? Any other tips or tricks for someone who probably isn't as confident as a kid when it comes to what'll happen when I fall off.

1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

Following on from my "I'm old, overweight and thinking of learning to skate" in the confessional thread. I'm 19 and a bit stone with a dodgy left knee, a gut and moobs. Is an 8.25 deck going to be sufficient? What wheels are best for a chubster? Any other tips or tricks for someone who probably isn't as confident as a kid when it comes to what'll happen when I fall off.

The width of the deck doesn't have anything to do with how thick it is so as long as it isn't a dirt cheap one it shouldn't matter what the width is. The question is what do you want to do with it? Is it for cruising around, bowls/ half pipe or trying to do learn how to kickflip and grind it? Once those questions are answered then we can talk wheels and deck width. As for falling buy a helmet and pads. You will fall and after a while you learn how to fall, the trick is getting back up afterwards.

1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

I still occasionally skate at the ripe age of 29 and have become much more wary of bailing as I've gotten older. I always wear a helmet and knee pads when skating now and have found that bailing hurts much less with them on and that my confidence increases when wearing them. 

14 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

The width of the deck doesn't have anything to do with how thick it is so as long as it isn't a dirt cheap one it shouldn't matter what the width is. The question is what do you want to do with it? Is it for cruising around, bowls/ half pipe or trying to do learn how to kickflip and grind it? Once those questions are answered then we can talk wheels and deck width. As for falling buy a helmet and pads. You will fall and after a while you learn how to fall, the trick is getting back up afterwards.

I'd love to skate street with a bit of bowl stuff thrown in for good measure. I could never Ollie when I was a skinny, fit teenager so that's a goal.

I did a bit more video watching last night, helmet and knee pads are going to be a minimum, possibly even wrist guards.

5 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I'd love to skate street with a bit of bowl stuff thrown in for good measure. I could never Ollie when I was a skinny, fit teenager so that's a goal.

I would say anything from an 8 to 8.25 deck would be fine, go for low trucks and 52-54mm wheels.

• Paid Members

I don't skateboard but protection is all the same a cross these types of sports. Falling in your mid 30's isn't the same as falling as a teenager. Everything hurts x10 and our bodies take longer to recover. Helmet, knee pads, wrist guards, shin guards and crash shorts for me, regardless of what I plan on doing. 

I skate with a big bunch of people in their 30's and some of them have learned to fall gracefully, but they'll still take a nasty bump from time to time which keeps them out for weeks... Its not worth it. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• 2 weeks later...