Skateboards, BMX and Fruit Booters

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

For the first time in almost 3 months I went out skateboarding this afternoon. I ended up slipping out while trying to do an axle stall on the mini ramp. I slid out landed bollocks first onto the coping whilst simultaneously doing the splits. My left knee and hip joint are still hurting. 

I really wish there was a good indoor skate park nearby. The one there is, is tiny and dominated by a 10 foot half pipe. It is too big for anyone apart from a half pipe pro.

Ouch. Part of the course I suppose. Nasty tumble though.

It’s proper frosty floors up here at the moment. Defo not skateable, there is a big indoor park however, bit of a mission to get to though.

• Paid Members

OK, so somehow I've managed to win a pair of Turbo Jett role skate things(the batter powered skates that can apparently do 10mph). Thing is, my two eldest kids won't be interested in them(15 and 14y/o), but not sure about my youngest(nearly 6). Is she a bit young for them? I've never been into skating/blading etc so have no idea about things like this...

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

OK, so somehow I've managed to win a pair of Turbo Jett role skate things(the batter powered skates that can apparently do 10mph). Thing is, my two eldest kids won't be interested in them(15 and 14y/o), but not sure about my youngest(nearly 6). Is she a bit young for them? I've never been into skating/blading etc so have no idea about things like this...

Not trying to sound like a nob here, but 6 years old & 10mph turbo boots don’t sound like a good match.

• Paid Members
Just now, Kaz Hayashi said:

Not trying to sound like a nob here, but 6 years old & 10mph turbo boots don’t sound like a good match.

No, I agree. Thing is, she's a lot bigger than most 6 year olds due to going through early puberty(she's in the 98 percentile for hight), so wasn't sure. Also, I didn't;t know if they had different setting for beginners etc...

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

No, I agree. Thing is, she's a lot bigger than most 6 year olds due to going through early puberty(she's in the 98 percentile for hight), so wasn't sure. Also, I didn't;t know if they had different setting for beginners etc...

It’s worth seeing if there’s an age restriction on the packaging / website. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I'll have a look when they turn up. Like I say, I've never been into any form of skating, so it's all new for me. If they look really unsafe, I'll just bang them on eBay.

If they’re what I think they are, they’re like an upgraded version of those heelies things that kids wear to bomb about in supermarkets.

They sell on most websites new for £100, so you could probs get £80 for them on eBay.

89CA1B55-9551-46D5-B9BB-15C400DFE20E.jpeg

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Got my nipper a mini skateboard for Xmas. Shes 2 and it’s probably irresponsible in some people’s eyes, but yeah, it will be a case of I’ll be holding on to her whenever she goes on it, and it’s locked in the garage when not in use.

8AAC74ED-AF1B-49CF-A7D0-67F81680DED5.jpeg.55ba30e52905b6801131b648894e89ea.jpeg

Hard not to be inspired by 3 year olds who are smashing it. The idea of skating with my child in a couple of years time is too hard to ignore.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I follow a lot of general skating stuff on social media and some of the things you see the kids doing is just nuts. 

My local park usually sees a fair amount of Scooter action and I've seen kids I assume as young as 4 dropping into big transitions and flying all over the shop. They'll take a ragdoll spill that would see me out for weeks and get up like it's nothing. 

Make sure they pad up. Hope your little one enjoys fella ! 

Edited by Silky Kisser
Drunk typing

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Yeah, I follow a lot of general skating stuff on social media and some I the things you see the little ones doing is just nuts. 

My local park usually sees a fair amount of Scooter action and I've seen kids I assume as young as 4 dropping into big transitions and flying all over the shop. They'll take a ragdoll spill that would see me out for weeks and get up like it's nothing. 

Hope you're little one enjoys fella ! 

We’ll see how it goes. She’ll absolutely love it, I know that much

• 2 weeks later...

Get her a full set of pads including wrist guards and a helmet and let her get on with it. Young kids are fearless and letting her have a couple scrapes isn't going to do her any harm. You standing around panicking instils your fears into her making her nervous. If she likes it then maybe get her something like this in a year or 2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078SV3ZFS/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_19NlCbRY4PAGS 

Hell she might grow up to be like this girl.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Young kids are fearless and letting her have a couple scrapes isn't going to do her any harm. You standing around panicking instils your fears into her making her nervous.

Completely agree. That pic was pulled from this, and this was the first time she had ever seen a board. So I picked her up, plonked her feet on it and ran down the street. She’s obsessed with it now. I couldn’t be happier.

78288C5D-6208-4802-9B97-8791D41BA97A.gif

• Paid Members

Misses got me a sweet mug for Christmas

20181226_064014.thumb.jpg.0f0b0350d1aed19ab11478f109330217.jpg 

Not skated since before Christmas now and missed a session this week due to car troubles. Hoping to get out on the big wheels for a few miles on Saturday with a few other people if the weather is good. 

In the process of selling off a few bits and hoping to fund another pair of skates to do a little bit of customization with over the next few months.