Skateboards, BMX and Fruit Booters

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I've become obsessed with watching old videos of some of the skaters from the Tony Hawk games, including Bucky Lasek (who I think was at this year's X Games as well) and the godfather of street himself Rodney Mullen. Some of Mullen's innovations are absolutely bonkers. 

Everyone in the world needs to see the 2 best Skate videos that ever existerd..

Mullen vs Song - round 2.

https://vimeo.com/172082327

Toy Machine - Jump off a building.

Both vids where hammered at house parties in the year 2000. 

That Vimeo channel has loads of good stuff.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

I've been watching quite a lot of Braille on YouTube. Their gaming channel specifically is pretty fun with Pro skaters trying out their skills on EA SKATE. It's pretty great stuff, but I've just learned Aaron Kyro is a Scientologist, so that put a dampener on things. 

• Paid Members

From what I gather, Braille gaming is a pretty new channel. Doesn't look like it's been up long. If you're a fan of Skate 3, you'll probably get a kick out of it. 

The way they approach and see in game tricks is akin to how they'd skate the same spots in real life. Quite refreshing. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

You lot still at it? 

Through Facebook, I've managed to meet up with a few other skaters over the last few months and am now at a point where a group of about 6 of us meet once a week at our local indoor park Ramp World. Absolutely spoiled rotten with this park. It's pretty damn big and has a good selection of everything. Street section, jump box section, 2 mini ramps with a spine, a bowl, vert section, resi ramps and a mini pump track... Perfect. 

Most of the guys are in the mid to late 20's but there is one guy there who turns 50 in a few months and he's giving it a good go despite only starting out skating ramps recently. 

All in all its been a cracking couple of months. Progress is slow but I do come away from each session feeling like I've accomplished something. Everyone is so encouraging and that is a huge boost. 

Starting to feel more comfortable riding the mini ramp and not far off grinding it now. Grinding on the box is getting easier and im starting to flow around the park a bit more. 

Can't wait to get out again this week. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bought my board, 30 quid for a 27 inch Penny thing, apprently they're normally over £100. Not the greatest but I doubt I'd find anything nearly as good for under fifty if not more, first thing I'm doing is spray painting the bastard black as it's bright blue with cartoon doughnuts all over it.. I'll keep the blue and pink wheels as they are as dyeing them will be a shit.

• Paid Members
On 10/15/2018 at 5:58 PM, Silky Kisser said:

You lot still at it? 

Through Facebook, I've managed to meet up with a few other skaters over the last few months and am now at a point where a group of about 6 of us meet once a week at our local indoor park Ramp World. Absolutely spoiled rotten with this park. It's pretty damn big and has a good selection of everything. Street section, jump box section, 2 mini ramps with a spine, a bowl, vert section, resi ramps and a mini pump track... Perfect. 

Most of the guys are in the mid to late 20's but there is one guy there who turns 50 in a few months and he's giving it a good go despite only starting out skating ramps recently. 

All in all its been a cracking couple of months. Progress is slow but I do come away from each session feeling like I've accomplished something. Everyone is so encouraging and that is a huge boost. 

Starting to feel more comfortable riding the mini ramp and not far off grinding it now. Grinding on the box is getting easier and im starting to flow around the park a bit more. 

Can't wait to get out again this week. 

Been absolutely run ragged with grapple arcade stuff. Not had a chance to get out. 

Seriously considering a Tony Hawks 2 special games event soon though.

• 1 month later...

For the first time in almost 3 months I went out skateboarding this afternoon. I ended up slipping out while trying to do an axle stall on the mini ramp. I slid out landed bollocks first onto the coping whilst simultaneously doing the splits. My left knee and hip joint are still hurting. 

I really wish there was a good indoor skate park nearby. The one there is, is tiny and dominated by a 10 foot half pipe. It is too big for anyone apart from a half pipe pro.

• Paid Members

I tried the skating thing in Uni. Bought a board, used to sneak into Sainsbury's car park with the lads on a Tuesday night and was awful at it. I wasn't much cop at the PlayStation versions of the Tony Hawk games, but really enjoyed the isometric ones on GameBoy Advance. I'm pretty sure I managed to 100% one of them, or came rather close. OlliOlliOlli looks quite interesting as well.