Under-rated / Over-rated

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Under-rated / Over-rated Match & Wrestler

Mine:

Match - Under-rated is Rockers vs. Haku & Barbarian from Mania 7. It's absolutely tremendous. As good as any WWF/E tag match ever. Such a shame they didn't do more with Haku & the big man afterwards. Were desperate for heel teams months later too.

Over-rated - I've mentioned it today already but the HBK/Angle match from WM. The first I can recall that felt like everyone had already decided was great a week before. Never felt the story at all, its just two guys trying to have an epic and failing.

Wrestler - Angle again for over-rated. He is good, don't get me wrong, and got it in double quick time but never, ever thought he was great. He's a comedy guy, and a good one, but i dont think it translates to real top drawer ralent and his matches are far too spot-spot-spot for me.

Under, I'd go AA. More for his charisma and promos which are on a different level but not always appreciated. He's an incredible worker too, smooth, strong and so realistic. Should have been a singles star.

Under Match - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Minoru Suzuki from The New Beginning this year. They met just recently within the G1, but their first match of this year remains one of my favourites, and is still a strong contender for my MOTY. Tanahashi plays the babyface in peril like no other, Suzuki plays the hard, sadistic bastard like no other. The extended limb work and selling is excellent, the storytelling with callbacks to their previous matches is excellent, and the finish worked brilliantly. Would highly recommend.

Over Match - CM Punk vs John Cena from 2011. The first time I watched this was perhaps in 2012/13, as part of a featured match on Punk's BITW DVD which had come out. Going into it, knowing the backstory and the appraisal it had received almost universally, I was expecting a classic. It's a good match at best, but not a single chance it breaks the **** barrier in my eyes. Sloppy match that is only remembered fondly for the storyline surrounding it, Punk winning cleanly and the molten crowd. This match was blown away by the RAW match they'd go on to have a couple of years later.

Under Wrestler - Rey Fenix. In my opinion, the best high flying wrestler in the world at the moment. Unbelievably talented, whether he's working alongside Pentagon or within singles action. Can't recall a time in which I've seen him in a bad match. Just a brilliant worker who's consistently entertaining, hopefully his showcasing within TNA and PWG will get him brought over here more often. 

Over Wrestler - Marty Scurll. I'm completely over him now. Peaked years back with his PROGRESS Championship run, and now seems happy to get by purely on Bullet Club comedy shtick and being "wacky man in mask!! XD" - hasn't evolved his character within years and follows my personal pet peeve of not changing anything about himself depending on whether he's working face or heel. Everything seems to follow the exact same routine with him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Under-rated / Over-rated Match & Wrestler

Mine:

Match - Under-rated is Rockers vs. Haku & Barbarian from Mania 7. It's absolutely tremendous. As good as any WWF/E tag match ever. Such a shame they didn't do more with Haku & the big man afterwards. Were desperate for heel teams months later too.

Over-rated - I've mentioned it today already but the HBK/Angle match from WM. The first I can recall that felt like everyone had already decided was great a week before. Never felt the story at all, its just two guys trying to have an epic and failing.

Wrestler - Angle again for over-rated. He is good, don't get me wrong, and got it in double quick time but never, ever thought he was great. He's a comedy guy, and a good one, but i dont think it translates to real top drawer ralent and his matches are far too spot-spot-spot for me.

Under, I'd go AA. More for his charisma and promos which are on a different level but not always appreciated. He's an incredible worker too, smooth, strong and so realistic. Should have been a singles star.

I was at WrestleMania 21. I cheered Angle throughout in a section of Michaels fans and popped like a motherf***er when he won.

In other words: I disagree ūü§£

On 8/2/2018 at 11:54 PM, AdamTH17 said:

Over Match - CM Punk vs John Cena from 2011. The first time I watched this was perhaps in 2012/13, as part of a featured match on Punk's BITW DVD which had come out. Going into it, knowing the backstory and the appraisal it had received almost universally, I was expecting a classic. It's a good match at best, but not a single chance it breaks the **** barrier in my eyes. Sloppy match that is only remembered fondly for the storyline surrounding it, Punk winning cleanly and the molten crowd. This match was blown away by the RAW match they'd go on to have a couple of years later.

I think if you were to watch it live or unspoiled you'd have fonder memories. It's never gonna seem the same a year or two after, knowing the winner and the fall out. The story is integral to the match - you can't really separate that and try to rate it purely based on how clean the action is. That would be missing the point of a match like that.

For what its worth, the finish was spoiled for me after I'd avoided any talk of it at the festival I was at. I went to work the next day, told the wrestling fan who works there I didn't see it and didn't want to know anything about it. He let slip Punk had put a photo of the WWE title in the fridge on Twitter. I hate Twitter. Either way, it was still exciting to watch even if it wasn't a technical classic.

As for Angle vs. Michaels, that's another match I loved live. I've not really gone back to watch it but I think this was before matches with lots of near-falls were the standard so it was fresh and exciting. I liked the grappling at the start where it looked more of a struggle like amateur wrestling than choreographed too. And Angle's Moonsault was out of this world.