Collecting Stuff is for Idiots - convince me otherwise

Chest Rockwell

I don't get the thing about Steelbook versions of films.

I was looking at Deadpool 2 on Amazon earlier just to check if there was any difference between the normal Bluray and the 4K Bluray. The 4K was £25, which seems to be fairly standard at the moment, and then noticed there was another version that was £46. Clicked what it was out of curiosity, and it's the steelbook version. It has everything that the other BluRays have, yet its nearly double the price because it comes in a fancy box.

Of course, this then lead me down a steelbook rabbit hole, and holy god, who is paying these sort of prices for what is essentially different packaging.

£60 for Thor: The Dark World? that's not even a good film. Spirited Away, £79.95! The standard version is £15. Blade Runner is less than £8 on normal BluRay, but someone is going to folk out £33 for the same thing in steelbook packaging?

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The steelbook for Deadpool 2 is a limited HMV exclusive so the amazon listing is a 3rd party seller trying his luck as are the rest more than likely. There are collectors of steelbooks that will pay through the teeth. Luckily I don't care much about them.

• Paid Members

I don't really collect anything other than graphic novels. And that only really started after I got my Kindle and I wanted to use my bookcase for something - although I was into various comics when I was younger, I didn't really keep them. I think there's a box of some quite rare comics at my mum's that I need to pick up one day.

I've got a few wrestling masks that I bought super cheap in Mexico. But I don't actually collect them. I have a Razor Ramon Funko Pop and signed artwork of Scott Hall, but again I don't collect autographs or Funko Pops in general.

I'm a bit of a tech hoarder if that counts. Old hard drives, obselete desktops and phones, a massive bag of wires because "you never know, I might need this wire for something one day" that my girlfriend keeps trying to get me to throw away.

I moved to pretty much all digital media (books, films, TV shows, music) but I was never a collector of any of those things anyway.

Apart from the shopping lists that I mentioned before, the only other thing I collect are records.

I don't have a huge collection, a few hundred or so. As pretty much all music is available to stream online for free, I like digging around for old weird stuff that I've never heard of before. I'm really into the hip hop crate digging mentality. Picking up long forgot funk/soul/jazz gems from record shops, car boots, charity shops, where ever I can really. I just like new and interesting sounds. At the minute I've been on a bit of a 80's Boogie hype.