Remakes / cover versions that improve on the original

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Yeah. My favourite part of the show is when Roy nods at Tom Waits when it's his turn to do a wanky solo, but poor Tom shits the bed and just bashes away like he's never seen his instrument before. You can tell after it Roy is genuinely perplexed.

Waits said a few years later he was petrified and nervous the entire time he was up there.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Barring the OP this has been a very music-focused thread, but the first thing that came to my mind when reading the title was the 2002 reboot series of He-Man. Yes, shut up, I said He-Man. It's basically the original cartoons the way my rose-tinted glasses had remembered them, rather than the shambles they actually are in the cold light of day, so it was great to see a childhood favourite preserved for all Eternia in a less embarrassing state.

That is absolutely an excellent call. Agreed 100%. The writing was surprisingly mature, and there was some excellent development of characters beyond just He-Man and the immediate supporting characters. They even wrote in a back-story for Zodak, previously a minor character, getting his revenge on King Hiss.

One thing I found odd, but didn't mind at all, was that all the characters were exactly the same design as the original ones, except He-Man himself, who was given a much less bodybuilder gym-bunny look - IIRC he had a more anime look, with a metal armoured sleeve. They also kept him the same shade even after he changed, always white instead of the correct colour of a cup of tea.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:58 AM, Uncle Zeb said:

Barring the OP this has been a very music-focused thread, but the first thing that came to my mind when reading the title was the 2002 reboot series of He-Man. Yes, shut up, I said He-Man. It's basically the original cartoons the way my rose-tinted glasses had remembered them, rather than the shambles they actually are in the cold light of day, so it was great to see a childhood favourite preserved for all Eternia in a less embarrassing state.

Not that it has to alter your opinion, but didn't NIN admit the same thing themselves?

Trent Reznor thought so after seeing the video, yeah. Which also raises just how much of an integral part the video is to Cash's cover. Not to diminish either element of it but the video and tune clearly go hand in hand. It wouldn't have had nearly the same impact without it. And that's alright, of course. 

It's become such a big tune that it's trickled right down to the kind of neanderthals back in school who would have jeered at your Nine Inch Nails shirt and called you a smelly goth. Those people still seem to have trouble acknowledging that an amazing song already existed as the basis for the cover they so dearly love to put on during those "time to get serious" post pub sessions, where they expectantly look around the room to ensure that everyone is watching the video close enough to get emotional about the fact that Johnny Cash is nearly dead in it. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Sphinx said:

I came in here to post that!

After the Prince discussion in the Unpopular Opinions thread, Chaka Khan's version of I Feel For You improves upon his.

I posted that in the well produced thread. It’s an amazing work of production 

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Aside from the lunatic suggesting Christopher Nolan, this is quite a fun little article.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/10/04/the-shining-remake

A Jonathan Glazer version of The Shining would be amaizng.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Six pages in. Christ.

First single I ever owned. Didn't even realise this thread was a thing. 

For the record this is my Kate Bush cover of choice. 

Some of Reel Big Fish's covers are alright, but their version of Gigantic by Pixies is horrible. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz
More information.