Remakes / cover versions that improve on the original

Devon Malcolm

On 8/1/2018 at 9:19 PM, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Lissies cover of Persuit of Happiness is a cracker.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DmTumvh9BzAA&ved=2ahUKEwizhJC61szcAhXI_KQKHce6CUkQwqsBMAl6BAgJEAU&usg=AOvVaw1ahOPx3EyFttfGVpIebzLW

Bloody hell, can't get it to embed from my mobile.

Lissie has done some really god covers. Her version of ‘Mother’ is a particular favourite. Nothing that’s going to move the earth or anything, but I just really like what she did with it 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Where do we stand on 'Hallelujah' by Lenoard Cohen? Did Jeff Buckley do it better? Or do you think another version is better? (Obviously, the latter is the wrong answer).

Personally, I'm a Buckley fan. I think he absolutely owns the song to the point where it now belongs to him. But then again, 'Grace' was a really important album for me so it has a lot attached to it.

I'd put John Cale and KD Lang ahead of Buckley. The Buckley effort is beautiful but it suffers a lot from being overplayed.

In fairness to Cohen's performance of it, his best version isn't the original. He really worked it out during his later tours and made it his own again. It helped he worked with a great band during this, but his voice seemed to only get better the older he got.

For what it's worth, Cohen rates Lang's version as the best. She sang it to him at the Canadian Songwriter Hall of Fame.

Edited by ColinBollocks

2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

KD Lang

Lower case, you philistine! Although I bloody hate the stylising she does of her name.

Speaking of her, her duet of Crying with Roy Orbison is sublime, surpasses his original for me.  And his version of I Drove All Night is the best.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Lower case, you philistine! Although I bloody hate the stylising she does of her name.

Speaking of her, her duet of Crying with Roy Orbison is sublime, surpasses his original for me.  And his version of I Drove All Night is the best.

She's great - even with the wanky lowercase name. Just a shame she's not always had the songs to match her talent.

To add to the Roy love, his version of Elvis Costello's The Comedians is perfect for this thread:

I think the Costello version is rubbish, but Orbison turns it into a proper song.

• Paid Members
On 8/4/2018 at 1:57 AM, Shy Dad said:

Rupert Wainwright's version of Hallelujah has to be my favourite but then I put most blame on that down to Shrek.

Rufus Wainwright, surely?

Barring the OP this has been a very music-focused thread, but the first thing that came to my mind when reading the title was the 2002 reboot series of He-Man. Yes, shut up, I said He-Man. It's basically the original cartoons the way my rose-tinted glasses had remembered them, rather than the shambles they actually are in the cold light of day, so it was great to see a childhood favourite preserved for all Eternia in a less embarrassing state.

On 8/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, Gay as FOOK said:

Johnny Cash did a great job with Hurt, but when people get to suggesting it's not a Nine Inch Nails song anymore I start breaking out in a rash.

Not that it has to alter your opinion, but didn't NIN admit the same thing themselves?

On 8/3/2018 at 10:42 PM, ColinBollocks said:

She's great - even with the wanky lowercase name. Just a shame she's not always had the songs to match her talent.

To add to the Roy love, his version of Elvis Costello's The Comedians is perfect for this thread:

I think the Costello version is rubbish, but Orbison turns it into a proper song.

The Black & White Night concert is great. Bruce is on stage with The Big O too along with kd Lang, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Jackson Browne & T Bone Burnett among others.