Remakes / cover versions that improve on the original

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Those covers of "Running Up That Hill" are very good, but I personally don't think they're better than the original.

Also (and maybe this belongs in the Unpopular Opinion thread), whilst I agree that Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" is definitely better, I don't think his cover, or any cover thus far, of "Personal Jesus" has been better than the original.

Promise this'll be the last cover I post of "Trusty Chords", but I just remembered how tremendous this one was, by Koehler - might be the only one I've heard that competes with Hause's version. @Accident Prone @Dolph Pigglers

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

whilst I agree that Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" is definitely better, I don't think his cover, or any cover thus far, of "Personal Jesus" has been better than the original.

đź’•

Although, as a big Depeche Mode fan, The Saturdays’ cover of “Just Can’t Get Enough” is a guilty pleasure of mine.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

this'll be the last cover I post of "Trusty Chords", but I just remembered how tremendous this one was, by Koehler - might be the only one I've heard that competes with Hause's version. @Accident Prone @Dolph Pigglers

Haha, I never knew that this was such a popular cover. Love this one too, the lyrics really shine.

I used to love the Placebo version of 'Running Up That Hill' but I've really grown to appreciate the Kate Bush original more.

Although not better than the original, this guy's cover of The Mountain Goat's 'No Children' is fantastic. It's made better due to the fact he's singing it to drown out a hate-filled anti-abortion rally.

The Cardigan's cover of 'Iron Man' is genuinely better than the original.

Also, the ultimate version of a cover being way better than the original, here's Homeless Mustard (a legit homeless man at the time) covering 'Creep'. I believe he is doing much better for himself these days.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You obviously didn't hear Jamelia's sampling of it on Beware of the Dog.

I haven't heard that. Will check it out. Thanks for the recco.

Johnny Cash did a great job with Hurt, but when people get to suggesting it's not a Nine Inch Nails song anymore I start breaking out in a rash.