Best bloody ABBA Song

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, gmoney said:

If the lyrics weren't so creepy, When I Kissed the Teacher would be up there. It's a banger, but unfortunately it leaves a bit of a weird taste in the mouth. 

That's before the libs got hold of it.

I'll go with Voulez Vous, as it's perfect disco music.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

My favourites are Knowing Me Knowing You and One of Us, two of the most miserable ABBA songs but I think One of Us is a brilliantly written song rather than just a catchy pop tune and Knowing Me Knowing You is brilliantly a catchy song and very well written.

One Of Us is Abba's one of "ones you forget but what a song" for me.

Queen have about 10.

• Paid Members

Dancing Queen was number one in the charts on the day I was born. It is, however, one of my least favourite Abba songs.

It's really hard to pick out a "best", because of the different phases in their career, from the funky disco of Voulez Vous, to the stage musical style of The Girl With Golden Hair.

Gimme Gimme Gimme has always been a favourite, with that killer two part intro. First is that moody guitar and dramatic string line that ends in a note so low it's practically subterranean, and then that classic synthesiser over the tight, disco drums. Once the song proper starts it's as funky as they come.

Knowing Me, Knowing You is perfect Abba, with their trademark happy verse sad chorus/sad verse happy chorus thing. The instrumental break is upbeat and slightly whimsical, but it's offset by the lyrics which are absolutely savage.

When I Kissed The Teacher is indeed a banger. Probably the only pop song to mention the "laws of geometry". Kisses of Fire is another banger, and it proves that you can sing about oral sex without being crass or vulgar.

I definitely agree that both Summer Night City and Does Your Mother Know and fantastic, and I'll also chuck in Eagle from the same sort of era.

My "wasn't well known until a shit version appeared in Mama Mia!" nomination is When All Is Said And Done, one of my favourites from their swansong.

There's plenty others that are great, Angel Eyes, The Visitors, etc. Great band, Abba.

Archived