Best bloody ABBA Song

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm a bit partial to "Winner Takes It All" and "Dancing Queen" is just fucking perfect.

Bjorn and Benny were so talented, which is why they moved to musicals and did "Chess", which had a few hits "One Night in Bangkok", sung by Murray Head, and Elaine Page & Barbara Dickson "I Know Him So Well."

• Paid Members

Personally speaking it's Knowing Me Knowing You for the memory of a Broxbourne pub shaking into the small hours due to the caterwauling of "Knowing Me, Knowing You... UHAAAAA!" from Benny, gadge, Catfish Jake, a few others and myself, after a DG UK show nigh on four years ago.

Strictly musically, big fan of Does Your Mother Know.

• Paid Members

Favourite and best are two separate things for me. I've always loved SOS and Gimme Gimme Gimme (a man after midnight), but think it's hard not the argue that Dancing Queen or Waterloo are their best pop songs.

I've always had a soft spot for Gimme though, think it's such a wonderful riff.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Strictly musically, big fan of Does Your Mother Know.

I like Does Your Mother Know, very cheesy and quite funny.

My favourites are Knowing Me Knowing You and One of Us, two of the most miserable ABBA songs but I think One of Us is a brilliantly written song rather than just a catchy pop tune and Knowing Me Knowing You is brilliantly a catchy song and very well written.

Sadly I actually have all the ABBA albums (although I may have given them to a charity shop), they really were a singles group. Their albums contain 4-5 great pop bangers and then some real filler.

4 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, I'm a bit partial to "Winner Takes It All" and "Dancing Queen" is just fucking perfect.

(Not gay)

Of the lesser known ones, The Day Before You Came is totally brilliant.

Fun Fact, I once shoehorned over ten ABBA song titles into a phone call to a local Coventry City phone in radio show. 

I didn't really pay much attention to ABBA songs before though I'd heard their most known on the radio. Some, like Dancing Queen, tended to make me roll my eyes because they reminded me of weddings or shit nights from my hometown playing tripe you've heard a thousand times like Never Gonna Give You Up and Mysterious Girl. A friend showed me The Visitors and I was pleasantly surprised but still didn't really listen to them.

Then in a dark, sweaty room at a night at Corsica Studios in London after Notting Hill last year where they'd been playing house and tech-house, the DJ played Dancing Queen out of nowhere but slowed down and it was great. A friend and I discussed it afterwards and both came to the conclusion that the 'release' at the end of the chorus was what made it euphoric.

I've been listening to them more lately and been hearing Gimme Gimme Gimme a lot lately which is a good thing.

Archived