Summerslam 2018

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Forgot to say was anyone else surprised they didn't announce where SummerSlam is next year given that TakeOver: Brooklyn V will be part of WrestleMania weekend.

https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/sasha-banks-wwe-summerslam-2019-location-reveal-rumor-video/2/

Sasha seems to think they're going back to LA. Makes sense to have SummerSlam in Cali.

Styles v Joe was fantastic.  It wasn't at ALL the match I wanted going in, but it was the match I needed.  They've saved a lot of stuff for later matches, and turned the heat WAY up on this feud.  Best match of the weekend.

As fun as it is to see guys hurl themselves about when they're at the start of their career, it's fascinating to see two guys wrestle at such a slower pace and make it mean so much more.  Neither guy can move as fast as they could a decade ago but they've both adapted in a way that makes them better.  There's a lesson in there for all the young wrestlers in NXT.

• Awards Moderator

Managed to watch this now through grabbing bits of WiFi where I can.

I have been really enjoying Seth Rollins this year right up to the Ziggler feud which has sucked all the enjoyment out of watching Seth for me. The match was fine but it was Ziggler and I really struggled to be bothered.

Don't want to sound like a Meltzer but Charlotte Flair has the body of a super athlete and to me her new giant boobs just don’t look quite right. Her winning is either leading to justice for Becky (who is totally in the right) or a Champion vs Champion match with Ronda, both of which are great results.

Joe and AJ was my favourite match of the show, shame it ended in a DQ but it’s the best DQ finish I’ve seen in ages. “Daddy, you’re bleeding” from AJ’s daughter was an incredible line that they’ll probably do nothing with but it really got me in the feels when he tried to hug her and she didnt want to because she was upset about him being hurt. Joe needs to use that.

General point about the sameyness of the show. In three different matches the heels used the ‘can’t touch me I’m in the ropes’ trick in the opening minutes. Three different matches.

Miz vs Bryan was a disappointment for me. Firstly because the crowd were twats and cheering for Miz half the time. Secondly because despite them supposedly wanting to tear each other apart - as the superb video package beforehand led me to believe - they went out there and, for the most part, had the same bog standard WWE style match with lots of moves. This should have been a wild brawl, not a Mexican surfboard contest! Didn’t like it.

This show was the best they have EVER used The Demon. Why’s it taken him this long to figure it out? Brilliant stuff.

Didn’t like the Braun squash. If the gimmick is ‘Kevin can win any number of ways’ and they proceed to use none of them in the match it’s a failed gimmick for me.

Ronda had to win her match. And she did. Good. Keep her winning til she faces Flair.

Quite enjoyed Nakamura and Hardy. Poor Jeff, what’s he playing at still doing bumps like that. I’m sure I read in Steel Chair magazine’s interview with him that he’d stopped doing the Swanton on house shows because it was doing him too much damage. Slow down Jeff! 

I could kind of explain away why Orton showed up then left (I wish he’d sometimes wear something other than trunks, though) but I have no idea what the point of that Elias bit was. Four extremely cuttable minutes that would have brought the show in under four hours if they’d not bothered with it.

Bludgeons and New Day was fine, I don’t remember much about it to be honest.

The main event... well, I was wrong in my predictions. What an absolute damp squib though. Braun comes out and I think ‘hang on, triple threat?’ Then he says he’s not going to be a coward when he cashes in and I think ‘oh, definitely triple threat!’ Then he just leaves and I get very confused. Roman only won because Brock was focused on Braun, and the moment they’d been building to for FOUR YEARS has to be one of the biggest anticlimaxes they’ve ever done.

And he was the focal point of Raw without the title anyway so it’s not even going to make much difference in the long run. 

Overall I didn’t mind Summerslam. Nothing on it really offended me but nothing stood out as brilliant either.

I think Orton walked out and back up the ramp again so that he could come across as a heel to the fans. Had he of beaten up Jeff then the fans would have probably lapped it up especially after what Becky did. I reckon they made a late call for him to come out and then go back up the ramp again.

9 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Miz vs Bryan was a disappointment for me. Firstly because the crowd were twats and cheering for Miz half the time. Secondly because despite them supposedly wanting to tear each other apart - as the superb video package beforehand led me to believe - they went out there and, for the most part, had the same bog standard WWE style match with lots of moves. This should have been a wild brawl, not a Mexican surfboard contest! Didn’t like it.

A big part of their feud was the “u can’t workrate”/“u can’t workrate good anymore I’m better than u now” stuff. They’ve been arguing about which of them is better for ages, so even though it’s a massively personal feud on the one hand, it’s largely about professional pride and testing their skills against each other.

• Paid Members
On 8/23/2018 at 5:29 AM, King Pitcos said:

A big part of their feud was the “u can’t workrate”/“u can’t workrate good anymore I’m better than u now” stuff. They’ve been arguing about which of them is better for ages, so even though it’s a massively personal feud on the one hand, it’s largely about professional pride and testing their skills against each other.

Yeah, I agree with this - at first, I wasn't really into it as I felt it needed to be more heated, but the more I thought about it, them both just trying to coolly prove themselves the better wrestler played into the story just as much. Then, just as I was starting to think it needed more aggression, Bryan started leaning into Miz's kicks, and from there on it hit all the right notes. 

Archived