Summerslam 2018

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Owens reminds of WCW Cactus Jack. They dont recognise him because of his look, so he's decided to kill himself to be noticed. Some of the bumps he's been taking are crazy.

Speaking of crazy bumps Jeff Hardy is at it again. 

I thought it was a decent show on the whole - although for the supposed 3rd biggest event of the year, there seemed to be lots of setting things up for future shows looking at the endings to Joe/Styles and Miz/Bryan. To me Summerslam should be the blowoff to major feuds, not the start.

• Paid Members

Ziggler vs Rollins - Ziggler wasn't as awful as he usually is and was actually quite bearable. Ambrose looks an idiot trying to act all tough. This was a pretty good match even if it was too long. Would have preferred McIntyre just battering everyone though.

New Day vs The Bludgeons - Enjoyed this even though I think Xavier Woods is shit. Quite enjoyed seeing a DQ finish in 2018, mainly because it annoys so many people. When is Harper going to get a World title run? He's wasted doing tags.

Strowman vs Owens - I don't really understand the point of this match. I like Owens but couldn't they have found something better for him to do than this? That choke slam was nasty though.

Women's threesome - It was obvious what was going to happen in this one. Charlotte is incredible though, she's always the best thing on the show on the rare occasions I watch wrestling now. Who's supposed to be the heel now? Because Becky's the one in the right after all. They've booked this like shite. Good match though.

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe - Was hoping Brooklyn might get a "AJ hates gays!" chant going but alas not. Cracking match. I'm all for the finish if it means we get more matches.

Bryan vs The Miz - Didn't get into this at all. Love The Miz but this wasn't anywhere near as heated as it should have been. Bryan has lost a lot since his comeback, including some crowd support by the looks of it. They should have had one of them win the world title and had something else to play for before they booked this.

Balor vs Borebin - Glad this only lasted a couple of minutes. Corbin is fucking crap, looks and sounds like an idiot, and if you like him then I'm blocking you.

Hardy vs Nakamura - Still don't get the fuss over Nakamura. That bump by Hardy was the only reason for this match to exist.

Rousey vs Bliss - Another obvious result. Rousey is a natural but I think she'd work better with a longer match like at Wrestlemania. Who did her makeup? I'm assuming it was someone who was at Sandy Hook.

Reigns vs Lesnar - This was the match they should have had all along. Short and sharp. And now we never have to see it again. Not looking forward to Reigns beating Strowman though. Just give him the fucking belt already.

Overall, not bad. What's the next one, Survivor Series? It's usually shit, I'll probably wait until the Rumble. See you in January!

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Imagine if he'd got that wrong and it ended up in the crowd. I'm sure he wasn't meant to do that.

Brock does that shit all the time, and it's a minor miracle he hasn't completely decapitated somebody before now. He hurled a car door halfway around the arena a couple of years ago and I have no idea how he managed to not hit a living soul with it. Well, I guess I do. He's the fucking man, that's why. Despite the crazy booking of Lesnar this year to try and make him less of a star, he is still, by far, the biggest star they have and the only person on the roster who legitimately feels a major deal when he comes out for his main event match anytime he's booked. 

Some weird decisions on this show, but on the whole I liked the show. Rollins and Ziggler was much better than their effort in the Iron Man match. AJ Vs Samoa Joe either needed to end with a DQ or with Joe winning, as this was always going to be the first match of their series, so I'm fine with that happening here, and even with the DQ finish they had the best match on the show. 

Strowman squashing KO, and Balor kicking the piss out of Corbin were both fine by me. The more of an established pecking order there is, the better. 

New Day Vs 2B was fast paced and exciting, but fuck me there were way too many big, unnecessary bumps in that match. There was no reason that all those spots couldn't have taken place in the ring. The match would have been just as good. When it comes to DQ finishes though, as much as Styles Vs Joe made sense for the story, this didn't. This match needed a winner and neither side really would have been hurt badly by losing here, and the program could have still continued. 

Randy Orton was flown to New York for that? What the fuck was that? Jeff Hardy with another mental bump. Poor bloke. There were way too many people on this show trying to kill themselves. 

Daniel Bryan Vs The Miz was very good although definitely the feud has lost steam, as evidenced by the heat for the match. Their work though, along with the finish, was great but the crowd excitement was certainly lower than I expected. 

The main event. That fucking main event. Any wonder Brock is getting abs back and giving USADA his piss in a cup. He's too good for this shite. Strowman looked an absolute mug, Roman needed Lesnar to be distracted to win. Just nonsense. After Raw on Monday it was confirmed that there would be no shenanigans with Heyman. WWE didn't want us to doubt Roman's integrity. He wasn't going to be turning heel. Just do the fucking match, and put him over without trying to do this bait and switch rubbish with Strowman. If Braun wanted to get in the match and be all heroic about it, he should have announced as much after beating Owens earlier in the night and made it a triple threat. If that wasn't going to be the plan then just forget about it all together, and have Roman beat Brock straight up. As it is, he still looks like a Wally, 3 and a half years after they fucked it up the first time. 

Utter, utter dogshit that event, until the main event. I was bored beyond belief during Samoa Joe/AJ and Bryan/Miz. I never would've thought that was ever possible.

I think I'm done with it for a while. I don't think my interest level has been this low in about 20 years.

Oh and state of that crowd. Dead. And then chanting "TNA" and "You both suck". Stinkers. State of it. Sick to death of seeing long haired Dolph fan and his Mum and green t-shirt with cap man on my screen. Seriously, the front row looked like the start of an incel movement.

If only the asshole chants were aimed at those who brought the beachballs. Not the security who took them. I'm surprised people have still been able to get them past security with how heavy the security has been with WWE events ever since they had that report of ISIS plotting to attack Survivor Series that one time. I thought they got banned after last SummerSlam when Cesaro quite rightly jumped in the crowd and ripped that one up. Obviously, with the number of shows they run every year which is what? 350-450 a year on average? It's tricky to get memos passed to every venue they run. But I'd imagine they'd certainly be on most venue's lists at least.

Bottom line: If people want to play with beachballs. The clue is in the name. Go to the beach! Sure, it's not one everyone wanted to see, but for me that main event was a result most people didn't want but still had one they wanted to see at the same time.

They could've had it both ways and went with neither. You've just had Heyman in tears after declaring he'd never seen Brock so violent, with Brock clearly giving zero fucks about wrestling, and being pitched against Roman who can only beat him (Heyman hints) one way. Come the match, it gets to the point Heyman begs Brock to stop, but it's a ruse and Roman's sided with him. Roman wins. Brock goes to UFC where he can quell his thirst for violence.  Next night, cheers for the Roman/Heyman pairing we wanted, but before a beaming Heyman can go into a spiel, Roman grabs the mic and tells him to hit the bricks, going heel on Heyman having used him to get the title and heel on the fans who wanted them paired up.

Plus Braun shouldve sat at ringside in a swivelly chair the size of an artic. Sigh.

Can't believe people hated the main event so much! For me it was the best bit of booking for years. I honestly couldn't call how it was going until Brock lobbed the briefcase away. I don't think Braun looked bad at all. If anything this was the most sensible thing to do to avoid people moaning that he didn't come out to cash in if he'd stayed backstage for the match.

Loved it, absolutely loved it.  

Haven't watched the show yet. Is it true that they lobbed Strowman out there to stop people from leaving as soon as Roman won? Incredible if so. 

Amazing gif of Brock hurling the briefcase. He's genuine comedy gold. The time he chucked the car door into the crowd (and legitimately gave someone a right whack), the Undertaker sit-up spot, the time he had Heyman cut a 20 minute heel promo and then left the ring and started shaking hands with kids sat at ringside for no apparent reason, every time he's stiffed Strowman, EVERY occasion in which his voice has cracked (LETS!!! DO!!! THiiiiiiis!?!?), that time he was cutting a heel promo and started breaking up laughing whenever the crowd cheered him, the fact he can't walk to the ring without sweating like a pig.

He's absolutely ace. I hope he sticks around. 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the five matches I watched, the ones I cared about.

My bile at Becky's story being pissed on to give Charlotte another title shot has transformed into joy that it's been part of a logical storyline advancement and something fresh in that division. Although with Becky as the heel and Charlotte as champion it kind of leaves Carmella a bit out in the cold even though she can claim she lost without being beaten. Oh well.

AJ vs Joe was decent, at first I thought the finish was gutless but the afters made up for it. Was sure Brooklyn would piss on the cheesy family stuff but they didn't seem to mind. My champion survived so I was happy. Not quite "King of the Ring 94" levels of relief but happy.

Bryan vs Miz was everything it needed to be with the right guy winning in the right manner. If they give a shit about telling a story, they have Miz take the belt off AJ and Bryan win the Rumble. Except they don't, usually, so look for Bryan to get his win back on the next special.

Alexa is the best. She did everything I wanted in terms of cocky and stalling transforming into terrified, then got barbecued. She'll be back. Brooklyn didn't seem to mind Ronda winning, suggesting they weren't as smarky as I feared.

Main event was..... not what I was expecting. If Brock ISN'T working Braun before he fucks off again, they really gave him an excuse and a half for losing. I did enjoy it, but if Roman was going to stand tall at the end, I wish he'd beaten Lesnar straight up without distraction. As it stands, the "use Lesnar to put the next guy in the spot" plan still feels like it's been fucked up at every stage.

Enjoyed the viewing, could not have watched 4 hours though. Lot of stuff underneath that didn't matter to me.

Archived