Sign in to follow this  
Art Vandelay

BT Sport loses UFC rights

STV Player, Scotland's ITV, mainly has ITV but has things like Taggart & Take the high road old episodes. Live streamed the full of Serie A & LA Liga last week for free, I have the app on my youview box but had to go to the online app to watch Barca Vs Athletico, anyway from now on they will live stream a game in each league a week for free from Eleven Sports, so I could see them putting a fight card every now and then on there, think the free games also stream on Facebook.

Eleven Sports are also starting a Skype style thing were you and 3 other homes get to watch the matches and can chat and shit through it, I think only one home has to pay for it. That would be fine if the fights were on at normal times or a Conor-Khabib style mega fight when more casual fans are watching but most aren't interested in the normal PPVs and events.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/eleven-sports-watch-together-social-viewing

Edited by the_mole

On 7/31/2018 at 11:42 AM, David said:

Ask yourself, seriously, what fans are going to buy this ElevenSports app for eight quid so they can stream an event at 3am when there's plenty of free or less costly streaming offerings out there?

It seems the answer was "not a lot, really."

I have BT with my broadband but BT seem to be cutting back on sports rights, they let Series A & NBA leave already, SPFL next year or two is going exclusive to Sky and they have lower tier premier league games in the next TV deal and I wonder if they can hold on to the champions league, those are still a year or two away though.

ITV just signed PBC boxing to an exclusive contract I don't know if they would have the space to run both, as they sometimes go head to head  I wouldn't mind it on there or even Sky Sports. I think any way they will have occasional PPVs, be it Sky, BT or ITV, probably not every month though. 

Personally I have been very happy with Eleven Sports for what I paid for it, but it was always going to be a struggle for them to attract a sustainable number of subscribers to pay for what must be very expensive content without access to bigger platforms. It's no surprise whatsoever that they haven't been able to secure a deal to get on TV, but they haven't even managed to get Smart TV,  Amazon Fire TV or Roku apps. You'd think those negotiations would be far more straightforward and absolutely essential if you're trying to position yourself as a 'Netflix of sports'. It works a treat streaming from my phone to the TV via Chromecast, but so far that's the only platform they have managed to get support for, which just isn't good enough.