BT Sport loses UFC rights

Art Vandelay

13 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Is it just me or is that worded to exclude PPVs?

Yeah it's very carefully worded. It basically means that everything will be on Eleven - even some PPVs, but they can choose to sell some (probably the huge fights) to other companies (ie, Sky and Virgin on Box Office) instead of showing it themselves.

• Paid Members

I didn't even think of that @Panhead When does the BT coverage actually cut off then, from 1st December? 

If it does then all this is going to fall in that gap between the deals...

Junior Dos Santos vs Tai Tuivasa 

Max Holloway vs Brian Ortega (NOOOOOOOOOO!)

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Valentina Shevchenko 

Edson Barboza vs Dan Hooker

Cris Cyborg vs Amanda Nunes 

BJ Penn vs Ryan Hall

Carlos Condit vs Michael Chiesa 

And, if Helwani is to be believed, possible Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson 2. 

FUCK'S SAKE. All that falls between Dec 1st and Jan 1st. It'd be nice if the UFC did us a solid here and whacked it all on some random channel like in 2009 when the Setanta deal ended and the ESPN UK deal hadn't started yet so UFC 100 ended up airing live on fucking Racing UK or whatever :laugh: anyone remember that? 

Edited by wandshogun09

Some reports have said that it will be showed on bt until the end of the year then start on eleven sports from January 1st. 

The way I read it is, all fight nights will be on eleven sports and some numbered events will be on Ppv and the ones that aren’t will be on eleven sports. Can only see a hand full being on Ppv here .

How quick does fightpass show numbered events and fight nights on demand?

• Paid Members

UFC PPVs will bomb here, surely? If you've got fibre broadband and the HD version of TV with BT then you're already shelling out £50 a month easy. Another £6 for Eleven a month and then PPV charges once every couple of months on top of that? No ta. I'm alright.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I feel this couldn't have come at a worse time. My passion for UFC is already at a low point and this isn't going to help matters. I can't be alone in feeling this way.

There will be others looking at it another way.

I've never been able to justify paying for a BT Sport subscription on top of what I already pay for Sky Sports, so for years I've just been missing out on UFC shows. I've watched bits and pieces on dodgy websites on my laptop but that becomes a chore and it becomes easy to fall out of the habit of keeping up to speed with it completely.

Eleven Sports is much cheaper than BT Sport. With them having the rights to Spanish and Italian footy this season and knowing that they were going to be getting UFC too, I decided to pick up an annual pass while it was £50 (about £4 a month). That's the price of a pint. I'm impressed so far, they show tonnes of games and the app works well with Chromecast so that I can watch on the TV. So I'm happy they've got UFC, although the big PPVs not being on it is a bit of a bummer.

• Paid Members

At the moment they aren't on XBox but they continue to respond to questions on Twitter to say that they are currently negotiating with all the major platforms to get their app supported and are also trying to get a channel on Sky, BT, Virgin.

This seems to be the big thing holding them back at the moment. If they can get TV that will be huge for them, but I'm not too optimistic about that. Surely those companies will drive a very hard bargain for a rival upstart. If they can get their app supported by Smart TVs, Amazon, XBox and Playstation they will be in a very good position though.