Sign in to follow this  
Keith Houchen

Post An Unpopular Opinion

5 hours ago, waters44 said:

Almost scared to post this one....

The Tim Burton Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is far superior to the original 

Burtons is more faithful to the book, but the Oompahs and Wonka are superior in the original. Frankly I hope Netflix get it right in their adaptation 

7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Burtons is more faithful to the book, but the Oompahs and Wonka are superior in the original. Frankly I hope Netflix get it right in their adaptation 

I must have missed the bits in the book about Wonka’s childhood and the Oompah Loompah origin story. It has been decades since I read it though so I could be wrong. 

Edited by wordsfromlee

43 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I must have missed the bits in the book about Wonka’s childhood and the Oompah Loompah origin story. It has been decades since I read it though so I could be wrong. 

I said more faithful. Wonka’s childhood was new for the film, but he does talk about the origins of the Oompah’s in the book I’m almost certain 

Roald Dahl himself spoke out about how much he disliked the 1971 Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory adaptation.

Lots of authors do that, though. Stephen King hated The Shining (although he had good reason, as there were personal issues tied up in that), and merely announcing the cinematisation of any Alan Moore work is 100% guaranteed to draw his ire.

7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Lots of authors do that, though. Stephen King hated The Shining (although he had good reason, as there were personal issues tied up in that)

I've never bought that reason and I'm still not. King has always been a terrible judge of adaptations of his own work. He absolutely does not understand cinema at all.

Here's one then. The Shining is fucking boring. I appreciate it for its artistic merits but it's a bloody slog.

16 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Here's one then. The Shining is fucking boring. I appreciate it for its artistic merits but it's a bloody slog.

That’s how I felt about Alien. I like Shining as a work of art but do not find it scary in the slightest. Same with The Exorcist 

49 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've never bought that reason and I'm still not. King has always been a terrible judge of adaptations of his own work. He absolutely does not understand cinema at all.

Would you mind elaborating on that viewpoint? Genuinely interested, as whilst I personally like the film, I could also see why his emotional investment in the book might cause him to react badly to the film's divergence at the time. I'd definitely welcome another perspective on that.

53 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He is also a terrible writer. 

2 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Brookside was better than The Wire.

Have you seen that new show on 5 called Clink.  It’s made up of Brookside, Bad Girls and the Bill rejects.

I saw one episode of Clink but I wasn’t that impressed. Might give it a further look to see if it improves.

Here’s another one - Prisoner Cell Block H, as cheaply made as it was, remains the greatest Australian Drama Series to this day.