Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I can't get on with any of the Marvel films. Never finished any of them yet I keep going back and trying again because they get such praise. Even though I loved comics as a teen and wanted decent superhero films. 

They're just all so... dull. Bland. Unremarkable. 

This. 

Outside of the original Transformers film, I haven't watched a single comic book/Super Hero type film since. Just doesn't appeal to me. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Awards Moderator
13 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I find it difficult to know where to start at times.

Funnily enough I just dredged back through the superhero film thread and found a post from July 2013 to ask what order to watch them in. Everyone was very helpful but it still didn't light a spark in me. 

There's also lots of great stuff in that thread - Branquey wishing for Black Panther and Deadpool films, Astro stating in 2011 that all DC films are going to be shit*, Kookookachu scooping everyone with news of a Marvel 'Civil War'... It's like a historical document. 

*he did also say there will never be a Justice League film but I understand it was complete dump due to all the studio's inconsistency. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Did you try Lego Batman?I haven't seen it yet but it seems to be the exception for a lot of folk.

Greatest ever Batman film by a country mile. Better than the Burton and Nolan movies, even better than the outstanding Schumacher movies! And better than the animated ones with Mark Hamill that most fanboys seem to fawn over.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I loved Lego Batman. That's about the most fun I've had in the cinema since Muppets: Most Wanted (the only thing Ricky Gervais has been good in since Extras).

Ricky was good in Stardust because

he gets killed and I got to cheer his death

Edited by Chest Rockwell

The main problem I have with super hero films is that they can make me believe a man in his undies can fly, they can make me believe that falling in toxic waste will enhance you and they can make me believe that Christian Bale isn't a pompous tit. What they can't make me believe is that there is actually any real peril. The ones I get on with build up a massive sense of fun and action whilst the ones I can't be doing with are the ones that spend most of their time convincing me the entire world is going to die.

• Paid Members

I don't mind the Xmas stock because I just don't look at it. Hearing Christmas songs in early/mid November gets on my tits though. I like Christmas. But I don't particularly want to think about it until about a fortnight before. And I can manage that perfectly well if you stop playing Noddy fucking Holder everywhere before bonfire night.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

After a few years of Scrooging, I'm actually really looking forward to Christmas this year. First one with the Mrs staying round and I'm eating some meat again. It's been dire the last few years, with relatives dropping like flies. 

I think Christmas music any time after December 1st is acceptable, anyone playing it in November needs to take a long look at themselves. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

December is a brilliant month - hole in the wallet at the end of it and some stress getting all the gifts together aside, it’s the time of year where everyone gets together and it’s generally nice and jovial. My view on this is in no way blinkered by it being the month of my birth or with the Muppets Christmas Carol being my favourite film of all time. 

But there’s absolutely no place in society for Xmas songs in November. December 1st at the absolute earliest. And I’m sorry but seeing Christmas stock going out in some places as early as SEPTEMBER should be a criminal offence. I get stacking things up as soon as halloween is done, but not the minute the paddling pools and barbeque’s are put back in the warehouse after the August bank holiday. I can even understand buying Christmas items in January such as hampers, wine etc because of the sales, it’s still on the brain and if you’ve got the storage space it does make sense. But anything after that is madness.

10 hours ago, PunkStep said:

@Onyx2Try Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2. I've always been of the same opinion as you, and to an extent still am, but those two break away from the monotonous same tone. Plus, Batista is genuinely funny in them.

I found that Guardians of the Galaxy relies on its soundtrack too much to mask that the story and characters aren't great. And they wasted Moonage Daydream on it too.

But yeah, superhero films aren't for me. Part of it is they're bland, part of it is some of the fans.