• Paid Members

They can't. BUT if they do top their Nations League group, and fail to qualify for Euro 2020 via the normal qualification process (which begins next March), then as winners of their Nations League group they will enter a play-off along with other group winners from League C (Finland, Norway, Serbia). Those four teams will contest two-legged semis and a final to determine which of those qualify for Euro 2020. The same happens with each of the four league, which give us the final 4 places at the Euros.

Of course, if Scotland finish 2nd to Israel but Israel then qualify for the Euros via the normal process, then Scotland pick up that play-off spot. Likewise with Finland, Norway and Serbia- if they qualify outright then the next non-qualified team from their Nations League group takes their play-off spot.

It's taken me a year, but I think I've sussed this convoluted shite system out now...

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

I think its been a really good innovation. It is a bit complex to get your head around but that doesn't matter really. It's been a decent carrot and stick exercise thta has spiced up some usually tedious periods and the rewards of promotion/relegation and eventual qualification have given loads of sides something to aim for. I was dubious about it but I think its worth perservering with.

It would be a shame if the smaller nations never got to face the bigger ones but this allows them to play similarly ranked teams while knowing they're going to get some big games next season. Best of both worlds IMO.

I know that now this shows we can do the qualifying in one season, some (Looking at you Gladders) will suggest we just have a season without international breaks but that's not gonna happen.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I think its been a really good innovation.

I agree, and it's good to see the media and associations from the respective nations saying the same. Rather than these pointless poxy friendlies, you actually have something to aim for. You can definitely see that reflect not only in the players' performances but their celebrations after wins and goals too. I was also sceptical at first but it has won me over and the wave of good-feeling towards international football following the World Cup (not just in the sense that England did well, but also that it was an excellent tournament) has continued for me.

It has provided some cracking drama over the past few days too. In the final 12 minutes, you had three different teams topping our group. You also had extraordinary drama in the head-to-head clash between Switzerland and Belgium (with the Swiss needing 4 goals to top the group after going down 2-0, to then win the game 5-2) and the last minute drama from the Dutch last night. I imagine the only ones really moaning and devaluing this competition are France.

I like the fact that the shit teams are now playing against each other. Sure, they say you improve by playing betting opposition, but you can only learn so much if you're San Marino and losing to everyone 8-0 all the time. The really shit teams now have a chance to win some games one year, and the next they can mix things up by playing stronger opposition in a normal qualifying group. As you say, best of both worlds.

28 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

They can't. BUT if they do top their Nations League group, and fail to qualify for Euro 2020 via the normal qualification process (which begins next March), then as winners of their Nations League group they will enter a play-off along with other group winners from League C (Finland, Norway, Serbia). Those four teams will contest two-legged semis and a final to determine which of those qualify for Euro 2020. The same happens with each of the four league, which give us the final 4 places at the Euros.

Of course, if Scotland finish 2nd to Israel but Israel then qualify for the Euros via the normal process, then Scotland pick up that play-off spot. Likewise with Finland, Norway and Serbia- if they qualify outright then the next non-qualified team from their Nations League group takes their play-off spot.

It's taken me a year, but I think I've sussed this convoluted shite system out now...

Awesome, thanks for that. I've kind of looked around for an explanation but I usually give up after five minutes of fruitless searching, so this will come in handy!

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I imagine there will be a big away support for the Scotland game, what with the number of Israeli flags you see among the Rangers fans.

The SFA has been tweeting that no flags other than those of the countries taking part are permitted inside the stadium. Obviously expecting a few Palestinian flags to be brought along on the night.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

DBRuavQ.jpg

4 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

The SFA has been tweeting that no flags other than those of the countries taking part are permitted inside the stadium. Obviously expecting a few Palestinian flags to be brought along on the night.

Hopefully it'll take more than a few tweets from the pricks in blazers to dissuade anyone from making a political statement.

A playoff spot is the closest Scotland have come to qualifying in fuck knows, so I'm happy. James Forrest is great and I never understood why he has been used as back up for Scotland until Saturday. 

I have seen so much anti nations league from a lot of Scotland fans. It is the best chance we have to qualify, how can you hate it? 

I like the tournament, big teams having to play big teams and teams like Germany shown they need to improve. Lower teams can show how good they are. 

14 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

James Forrest is great and I never understood why he has been used as back up for Scotland until Saturday

Because he's been picked first choice 25 times and never come close to performing as fantastically as he did this week. It's been marvellous to see him finally fulfil the potential I've been told for so long that he has. Ryan Fraser and Stuart Armstrong looked great today too. I agree though, very much like the Nations League thus far. Confusing? Probably. Better than random friendlies? Aye, for sure.