A third European club competition could be introduced alongside the Champions League and Europa League from 2021, according to the head of the association of Europe's biggest teams. Source: BBC

Not sure what to really think of this. On one hand I feel that Europa is slowly finding its way (the best it can being in the Champions League shadow) and has been more competitive in recent seasons albeit with some teams dropping from the Champions League and the inclusion of the likes of Milan, Arsenal & Chelsea.

But then this gives Uefa a good opportunity to stop teams dropping into Europa and/or not having top four teams go straight into the Champions League and maybe having second/third place teams go into Europa instead and using this 3rd competition for smaller teams. I have quite enjoyed the Europa league so would be a shame in some respects to see some teams get moved into a smaller euro competition that might be more competitive for them but couldn't imagine sponsors/viewership being high. 

Thoughts?

• Paid Members

It sounds horrendous in prospect. Fixtures are congested enough as it is without adding yet another European competition into the mix. That’s the season building up to the Qatar 2022 World Cup as well, which is also in winter. Obviously details are very sketchy at this point so hard to make any firm predictions, but at face value with the info we have now, I can’t see it taking off. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I always liked the Cup Winners' Cup. Was basically the FA Cup writ large, so you sometimes got some fun tournaments. Why get rid of it in the first place? 

It was pointless in the end. After the Champions League was opened up to 2nd and 3rd place teams for the big leagues, more often than not the domestic cups were won by a CL-qualified team, thus the CWC competition became redundant.

• Paid Members

George Weah (President Weah, no less) played a friendly for Liberia against a pretty strong Nigeria side tonight. He's 51 and still managed 79 minutes! What a guy. It's a shame Nigeria didn't field Finidi George, doing the pissing dog celebration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45490570

• Paid Members

The finish to the Spurs game was hilarious. Grade A start to European football this year.

Enjoying the staggered starts already. Admittedly I'm off on the sick which meant I was home when I wouldn't usually be,  but liking the fact I've got another game to enjoy.