Mission: Impossible

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Sat down and watched MI1 this afternoon with my daughter. I have to say it's probably the best viewing of it I've had. As a spy movie it's pretty great. As an action movie it's not really up to par. I still really dislike the train sequence. It's utterly unbelievable and ages the film terribly.

As a side note the Blu-ray is pretty rubbish. A slight upgrade over an upscaled DVD. It could really do with a upgrade. There's a 4k UHD out which I assume will be from a better source.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Best not watch the rest of the series then.

Nah it's the mixture of bad CGI, wrong physics and editing. The sequence has just never worked for me. Its simply not good action.

The rest of the films are much more palatable and at times up there with the best action you will see. Now that being said the spy stuff was uniformly excellent and the famous Hunt hanging from the ceiling scene was top notch.

Edited by DEF

On 7/26/2018 at 12:44 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I think the Bourne films have been far more influential and 'important' than the M:I films but I have revisited the M:I series far more.

Unfortunately the influence of the Bourne films is in the style of the action scenes. The one thing I hate is the constant quick cuts during actions scenes with shaky cam going on. The Taken series also use this a lot and it can get ridiculous. I mean look how many cuts there are in a scene of Liam Neeson jumping over a chainlink fence.

• Paid Members

Today I cracked on with the box set.

MI2 is great fun. Yeah it's got some astonishingly bad dialogue and some ridiculous highspots in the fights but for all the bad there's a huge dose of what made Hard Target great. I'm glad they moved the series promptly away from that style of action but for one movie I lapped it up.

The sheer amount of hand to hand over the top fistycuffs and bullet ballet make up for the complete lack of it in the first one. Its funny because it almost doesn't feel like it fits in the series. 

The too cool for school post matrix dress code and sheer amount of John Woo style action makes it feel completely independent to the cannon. Almost like a alternative universe version of Mission Impossible.

That motorcycle body joust is fucking stupid but the chase that preceded it and the fight that follows it redeem the ending.

The Blu-ray is a step up from the firsts but still could do with a remaster. Details there but still not as much as I'd like.

MI3 is where they cracked the code for me. It has the heist and spy aspects of the first and a far more palatable asthetic but with cracking action with less of the nonsensical high spots. All the best aspects of 1 & 2 (other than Thandie Newton).

The bridge scene is top notch action in my book and Philip Seymour Hoffman is delightful as a villain.

I can't comment on the blu as I streamed it on NowTV but I would assume it's much better than 1&2 purely because it won't have come from a dated master.

• Paid Members

Don't be put off by the fact that it's Sight & Sound and has a very poncey opening, this is a great article about the Mission: Impossible series.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/features/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-franchise

• Paid Members

Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation yesterday. Ghost Protocol is abit of a step down from MI3 to be honest. Probably my least favourite but that's not to say it's not still great Sunday afternoon movie fodder. Some of the action scenes are too CGI heavy and the plot never really grabbed me. The dusty cuffs are pretty tame and going through the motions. It's at least my 3rd viewing and I still barely remember it out side the Spiderman in Dubai scene.

Rogue Nation is an absolute belter on the other hand. The action is back on form. The opening action scene makes up for the entire weak sauce of GP. The fights are some of the most violent I've seen in a 12 to the point that I'm pretty sure it would be cut in the late 80s/90s to even get an 18. Highly recommended.

I think my code would be along the lines of 35214 but they are all well worth your time and on a different day it could just as easily be 53124. Really can't wait for Fallout next week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Finally watched this today.

Ok, let's get the important part out of the way. That could be the finest Tom Cruise haircut, and, of course, The Cavill with a 'tache makes a fellas legs go all tingly.

Besides all that weight, I left the cinema smiling like tit.  I maybe preferred the last film as a whole, but that last 20 minutes may be the high point of not only the series but Bad Tom's career (aye, even that time he played a dis vet or a vampire). Only a legit nothing will come out the other side unmoved.