Mission: Impossible

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I've had enough of megathreads, they'll be the death of this forum, so that's why I'm doing this.

So I saw the new one today and it's fair to say it's brilliant. Weirdly, despite the fact that it's possibly as good as Rogue Nation and slightly better than Ghost Protocol, I didn't come out of this one as worried about how they could equal or top this like I did with Rogue Nation because the characterisation work in this is brilliant. It will be overlooked because of the action here, which is rather understandable, but it's incredible that this is simultaneously a great film but has somehow breathed more life into this series.

Until I've rewatched it, I can't update the M:I code though (54132) but yeah. It's amazing.

Might actually try and go to the cinema to see it, my gf isn't a that big a fan of the Cruiser though but I sat through some Marvel film or other so it's only fair I use my meerkat thingy on the wonderful man with the middle tooth.

• Paid Members

@Chest Rockwell - With good reason too. It's not that it's bad so much, just terribly boring. And who thought Dougray Scott would be a good main villain in a blockbuster?

@Keith Houchen - Go to the IMAX, you won't regret it, especially for the later scenes.

• Paid Members

2 was the first I saw, also at the cinema. My friend hated it, calling it 'Mission Unrealistic'. The bike battle scene is shocking though.

I really liked 3 though, Philip Seymour Hoffman was a very good baddie I thought. Might have to watch the recent ones.

• Paid Members

3 is good. I think it looks better with each passing film because it was there that they started to focus more on a team rather than on just Cruise. Plus it has that bridge scene, which is still one of the best moments of the series.

• Paid Members

I haven't watched it since, but I remember really liking 3 at the cinema. It's when I fell in love with the franchise. A lot of people are sniffy about it, for some reason.

I honestly don't remember much about 2 other than the rock climbing bit and Tom Cruise's hair.

• Paid Members

It was the first time I saw Thandie Newton and she looked gorgeous in it. Her character was a bit annoying though.

If ever my wife is looking for something that's in my coat, I'll say "My jacket pocket. My right jacket pocket" in that Dougray Scott accent.

• Paid Members

I'm in the minority that never got on with the first one. I've always found it long, dull and slog. All my mates were raving about it too. Two I liked as John Woo fan but there's no denying it's cheesy as hell and very silly. 3 was cracking though. They nailed that trailer because I was proper up for it and it didn't let me down.

Sadly since then I've got less and less interested. I'm going to sound like a right berk now but since they stopped numbering them I've struggled to work out if I've seen the last one every time they release one. I like them I just don't car much about them.

I'm planning to watch them all with my daughter this summer because she loves spy movies. Only trouble is we will have to skip 2 as it's a 15 and I'm only comfortable with her watching 12's. Hopefully they hype me up enough to get me down the cinema for latest one. Good to know it's a good'en though.

Right I've only ever seen the first Mission Impossible (which I enjoyed greatly.)

I was amazed to find out this new one is the 6th in the series. Anyone want to rank them in order from best to worst? I'd be intrigued to know the better ones.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

@Chest Rockwell - With good reason too. It's not that it's bad so much, just terribly boring. And who thought Dougray Scott would be a good main villain in a blockbuster 

Thankfully it meant he never made X-Men and, therefore the roles and career of Hugh Jackman