Paying for your own flights to get exposure - Where do you stand.

IANdrewDiceClay

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I'd have to disagree there John. "Making It" in wrestling these days is pretty well defined as wrestling for WWE. If any of those guys were asked what they did for a job by someone who didnt know them and they said "Pro Wrestler" the question back isn't likely to be "Have you been flown all over the world in the last year and do you have an Important match coming up at Wembley?" It will be either "what, like Big Daddy?" Or "in the WWF?" That's making it. 

By that logic, only two of them can be considered to have 'made it', and even then Dunne's an edge case for that.

Lister's response is perfectly within the context of what he was responding to.

I'd say making a good living from wrestling and having world wide exposure, be it through WWE or another major company (If any others are considered major these days?) Would be making it in the broadest sense of the term. Obviously it's subjective to the performers personal goals and ambition.

• Paid Members

Surely if it’s your full time job, you’ve made it? Regardless who it’s for. If you don’t need to worry about bills and you don’t require an additional day job... I’d constitute that as making it.

I think it depends on the person and background. If you have joined the WWE training programme, then getting drafted to WWE would be making it. 

If you e travelled the world and your one last goal is to work for Vince, and you get the call, that could be deemed as ‘making it’ for that individual.

But I don’t think it’s fair to assume they haven’t already ‘made it’ if they have a very happy life, making a lot of money, not for WWE.

See Dangers post above. Well put.

Using this theory, it’s bizarre for others to judge on whether you’ve made it or not. It’s a very personal belief based on meeting your own goals.

I'm not a very aspirational or ambitious person, but yeah, I'd say if you're making a full time living out of it then you've made it.  By my logic, a non league footballer has made it though if they don't need to supplement their income.  Then of course comes the whole what happens if your career ends tomorrow, have you made it to a degree where you aren't fucked and have to find a regular job?

(For the record, I think I recognised one person in that photo so I'll just shut up now)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Polish Dad said:

By that logic, only two of them can be considered to have 'made it', and even then Dunne's an edge case for that.

Lister's response is perfectly within the context of what he was responding to.

Making a living from what you do is fantastic, especially in a niche industry like wrestling is a fantastic achievement. If that is your definition of making it then fine. Its not mine. 

• Paid Members

I'd consider working a full-time job in wrestling to be "making it". Some people will consider working just one match "making it" - I know I'd have been happy to work one show and that be that, just to be able to say I'd done it. To others, maybe making it to WWE is the only measure of "making it", but that's not everyone's end goal. There are plenty of wrestlers with no desire to work there at all. Could you really say that the likes of the Young Bucks haven't "made it" because they've not worked WWE, even though they're making enough money to be in the position to turn down WWE contracts? Had AJ Styles not "made it" until a couple of years ago?

Being a professional means you do it for a living, doesn't it? All of them certainly have done whether or not they're in a big company. Mark had a brief run in TNA, but since then, he's really matured into a much better wrestler than he was back then. I never imagined I'd watch him live putting on a match that would tear the house down like he did with Kenny Omega a couple of years ago. He quickly became one of my favourites before long and it was easily that match that did it for me.

I think it is just the risk you take. For an up and coming wrestler you would not have the name or clout to make demands. Even when you get to the WWE, unless you are part of the top 15% of wrestlers there then you are probably still not able to make too many demands, I just think WWE will treat you better in guarenteeing you a wage so you can factor in all your travel.

Also, just because you do the journeys and time doesnt make you a star or actually any good. It will help with exposure and getting better but I do think some wrestlers think they have made it because they have wrestled for ROH or NJPW. I am ammused at some of the British talent trying to do QnA's and meet and greets when they have never stepped foot in a TNA ring let alone WWE.

I do agree that you need to invest in yourselfs or have someone who is willing to back you. If an older wrestler or promoter sees talent in a kid then they might help them out a little more. I recently got made redundant, I got a fantastic settlement to be fair and have been enjoying four months off work (I have watched soooooo much WWE Network Vault stuff) but I used the time and money to retrain. I might not get a return from it but that is the chance you take.

The QnA and Meet and Greet stuff is totally dependent on the audience though. If there's a demand for it then why shouldn't they? Same with merch tables. It's a wrestlers job to make money and gain exposure. Obviously some guys over step the mark with this.

Archived