Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

2 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

Klopp took over a team that in two seasons prior came second in the league and had reached two semi finals. Poor? Nah.

And two seasons finishing fourth is hardly establishing Liverpool as a top 4 side. When you've played Champions League for 5 years consistent and are finishing higher than Arsenals position because Wenger lost it year after year, you'll be an established top 4 side.

Fair enough, establish was probably jumping the gun. Not to discount that glorious season but it was in no way a reflection on where we were altogether. Prior to that we had Brendan Rodgers settling a team thrown together by a reanimated Kenny that included Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing and Andy Carroll as it's big money players. Then prior to that we almost did a Leeds and had Roy Hodgson in charge.  

Before Klopp came in we were dreadfully inconsistent and 7th/6th place was about right for that group of players, especially when  Stevies legs went and Suarez wasn't dragging us up a level. Now we have a very good looking team, we look at 4th as a minimum and we can finally expect a trophy return instead of hope for one. 

Maybe that's just how I see it but as it was Spurs were a good bit ahead of us and were right to be expected more of. Now it's much closer.

11 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

It's funny seeing a London based teams fan moaning about a northern bias in the press. The reason Poch gets a hard time is because he inherited a good side and made them a very good side that should be winning trophies and competing for titles. Kloppo took over a poor team and changed little by little whilst establishing us as a top 4 side again and getting to three cup finals. He's now got us in to a position where he will face a lot of flak if he doesn't move us on a level. Liverpool have come under more scrutiny for not winning a league title in the last 30 years than Spurs ever will.

Nah, his first competitive side had Kyle Naughton, Younes Kaboul, Nabil Bentaleb, Etienne Capoue and Emmanuel Adebayor in it!!!

You're right,he has made them into a very good side, and he has immeasurably improved some players, and i'm sure that Klopp has too, but my point is that after spending so much money, Klopp should be winning trophies now. I wasn't aware of just how much he's spent since this week to be honest.

@PunkStep I'll ignore you calling my Dad a name, but you're right, it is puzzling. It's akin to when you threaten to quit a job and your manager buys you back and promises you that promotion, but 6 months on you're still doing your own filing...Something needs to happen, as after reading his book, you get the impression that he is a man of principle and acts on emotion (see Southampton) and the risk is he walks. Could he? I wouldn't think so, but then I wouldn't be surprised either.

I think what makes it worse, and this goes for all English clubs, is that foreign clubs now know that they can offer cut price offers after our window shuts. I think English clubs have massively shot themselves in the foot there, as we can't be the only ones in the same position.

Look at the one's we're trying to offload. You paying £25m for Sissoko/Janssen knowing you can probably grab him for £10m in a few weeks? Surely Champions League squads need to be announced soon as well.

Well £140m of that is on a Goalie and Centre half. It's not like he's put £40m+ players in every position and transformed us over night. We've spent within our means which has been possible because we're ace at selling players. A side effect of that is a constant sense of upheaval.

I think you probably haven't noticed the stick we get for not winning trophies because you probably don't pay as much attention to us. 

• Paid Members

Champions League squad doesn't need to be submitted for a while yet does it? You've got to wait until the qualifications take place, and the third round of qualifying always happens after the PL season kicks off (which won't affect PL teams anymore, as the top four nations no longer have to put their 4th place teams thorough a qualifying round). The squad deadline might even be early September.

16 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Jurgen Klopp since October 2015 - Net Spend: £114,850,000

19 Players Bought: £382,850,000

PLAYER
FROM
FEE
DATE
Marko Grujić Red Star Belgrade £5,100,000 6th Jan, 2016
Shamal George LFC Youth System £0 6th Jan, 2016
Kamil Grabara Ruch Chorzow £300,000 15th Jan, 2016
Sadio Mane Southampton £30,000,000 28th Jun, 2016
Loris Karius Mainz 05 £4,700,000 1st Jul, 2016
Joel Matip Schalke 04 £0 1st Jul, 2016
Ragnar Klavan FC Augsburg £4,200,000 20th Jul, 2016
Alex Manninger Free Transfer £0 22nd Jul, 2016
Georginio Wijnaldum Newcastle United £25,000,000 22nd Jul, 2016
Nat Phillips Bolton £0 1st Aug, 2016
Mohammed Salah AS Roma £34,000,000 22nd Jun, 2017
Dominic Solanke Chelsea £0 1st Jul, 2017
Andy Robertson Hull City £8,000,000 21st Jul, 2017
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Arsenal £35,000,000 31st Aug, 2017
Virgil van Dijk Southampton £75,000,000 1st Jan, 2018
Fabinho AS Monaco £39,300,000 28th May, 2018
Naby Keïta RB Leipzig £52,500,000 1st Jun, 2018
Xherdan Shaqiri Stoke City £13,500,000 13th Jul, 2018
Alisson AS Roma £56,250,000 19th Jul, 2018

£161.5m of these players haven't played yet.

That leaves £221m and City spent £100m on defence last season.

In the UCL final after when Salah went off we brought on Lillana. Real brought on Bale in second half and the rest is history.

Liverpool had a good 11 but squad was poor.

• Paid Members

Ozil has quit the German national team, and laid out his reasons in a lengthy three-part statement. And upon reading his level-headed (and clearly upset) comments, I don't blame him at all.

Was he a bit naive to pose for that picture with the Turkish president? Perhaps. But is it fair that the German football federation (and government) have hung him out to dry and used him as a political pawn? Absolutely not.

Throw into the mix the fact that he receives nothing but shit from the German media and fans alike, it's no wonder he doesn't want to turn out for them. Having the DFB fuck him up the arse was no doubt the final straw. Bet he wishes he chose to play for Turkey, he has always seemed to have a greater affinity for his Turkish roots anyway.

Here's part three of the statement, which is the meatiest part:

Edited by PunkStep

I read his initial statement earlier. I thought that was it until I just saw his follow up statements. 

Definitely do not blame him at all, and it makes a big statement. It would be great to see a few fellow German internationals follow suit in solidarity, and hopefully oust that shitehawk Grindel. 

• Paid Members

Meanwhile, in tonight's friendlies, Karius is dropping more bollocks and United can't score.

Congratulations to Manchester City on winning the 2018/19 Premier League.

• Paid Members

Looks like Wolves are going to sign Joao Moutinho today, some reports are saying £5 million.

Good deal for us, especially if that fee is correct. Tidy midfielder that will bring some much needed experience to our youngish side.

The Bayern Munich President has gone in on Ozil, saying he’s been ‘shit for years’, ‘hasn’t won a tackle since 2014’ and that Bayern would always ‘play through him’ when they played Arsenal because he is ‘so weak’.

Yeah. I think Ozil made the right decision.

• Paid Members

Ha! What an unbelievably bitter and unprofessional cunt. It's no wonder he's a former journo.

Edit: thought you meant the chairman of the German FA. Still, fuck them both

Edited by PunkStep

2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Overly heated discussion on twitter about whether this is actually the right way round:

https://mobile.twitter.com/OliverCooper/status/1021072805323051008?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Yeah I always thought it was "Latest score, East Fife 5, Forfar, so far, 4"