Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Have Arsenal got any defenders coming through @PunkStep? Was impressed with Joe Willock last night (is it his brother at Benfica?) and have liked Smith-Rowe this season. There's Eddie Npronouncable and Saka coming through too. All very promising but don't seem to be any defenders apart from Maitland-Niles who plays like a winger filling in. It's been obvious for years but last night hammered home how desperately you need a quality centre-half pairing. Thought Torreira was garbage too and I've been a fan of him. I know Ozil gets a lot of shit and I genuinely didn't realise he was playing last night until his number went up but I think if you went and found three decent defensive players, you could easily muddle through with the attackers you have already and these kids coming through.

• Paid Members

Willock was brilliant when he came on last night, and as the entire internet have said, he did more in his brief appearance than Ozil did all game. He missed a couple of chances but the fact that he worked hard to get into those positions in the first place, for a 19yo that has barely played first team football this season, is impressive. And yes, his brother Chris left us for Benfica 2/3 years ago. Special mention to Iwobi as well, who was easily our best player. He gets a lot of unwarranted stick from the fans. He's one of our own FFS, an Arsenal boy through and through and he works hard. He's had a decent season but doesn't get the plaudits.

Eddie Nketiah looks decent but we really need to send him out on loan next season to get game time, he's not going to get much time with our two best players ahead of him and he doesn't really have the versatility to play out wide either. Smith-Rowe looks good but I think he's going to be another Lansbury/Zelalem that never fulfils his potential- I am basing that on very little though to be honest. Saka is the one our fans are really getting excited about, so it will be interesting to see him in more games next season. Even more exciting is Reiss Nelson returning from loan- who had a superb first half of the season in the Bundesliga. A player at his age with the number of goals and assists he notched a low number of minutes could normally cost ÂŁ50m+ so we're quite lucky. 'Like a new signing', as Arsene would say.

Maitland-Niles was absolutely playing out of position. Because he's been played in a number of positions, we still don't know exactly where he is best played. CM was always the belief, but he seems pretty good on the wing too. Definitely not a defender and Emery, knowing this (and with the same problem on the other side with Kolasinac) has had to play a back 3 with wing backs out of necessity with Bellerin injured and Monreal's legs gone. In terms of defenders coming through- no, not really. We've never been good at producing genuine defenders. Decent attack-minded full-backs yes, but not defensive full-backs or centre halves. There is Mavrapanos, but he has seemed very suspect when we've played him this season. Holding doesn't count but he could definitely be a starter for us. Him and Sokratis were playing well together before he was ruled out of the season with injury. It's no coincidence that since he has been out (and Bellerin for that matter) we turned to shit. Completely threw the balance out of the squad as well.

Onto Ozil, surely his time is up. Willock replacing him was quite telling I thought. I think Ozil is a bloody genius with the ball at his feet but my god he is nowhere as influential or integral as he should be. Last night was exactly the kind of game where you need your top player to step up and take it. Hazard did it for Chelsea, however Ozil - like with most big games - simply didn't come close. Auba and Laca were wasteful but I think it's hard to place too much blame on them given the fact there was fuck all coming their way from behind them. Torreira was shit too, which is a shame because he's had a very good first season overall (as has Leno, Sokratis and given his age and inexperience- Guendouzi has done well considering).

We need, in order of priority: CB, CM/AM, RW, LB, LW, CF. Not much, eh? :(

• Paid Members
On 5/28/2019 at 10:17 PM, Keith Houchen said:

A beautiful move, I expect him to be awarded a new contract with more dosh.

Guess what? He called a press conference this evening where he announced he's staying put.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Won two tickets to a Champions League game next season. Fucking buzzing. 

Eh? How, when tickets surely aren't available yet and there are no fixtures?

• Paid Members

Haha no. Entered some Heineken quiz when in the pub got a high enough score to enter the draw. Top prize was final tickets so happy to get anything. Ideally Celtic get through the group stage as it's any UK game and Dad wants to go see the family. 

Can’t sleep and just watching random football videos on YouTube and stumbled across Mourinho on his RT programme.

If I was watching the final at home on Saturday, I’d 100% be watching him and Wenger on Bein. He’s an excellent talker and the heel/face dynamic between the two will be better than anything BT can conjure up.

Also, something I’ve never seen, underneath the video is a disclaimer saying “RT is funded in whole or in part by the Russian Government” with a link to the RT Wikipedia page. What’s the reason for this?