Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I miss the days, at the beginning of Sky's Premier League contract, when it was just Martin Tyler (or Ian Darke), Andy Gray and Richard Keys. Not two million other guys offering their opinions.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I'd rather have two million (Vintage Baz!) pundits than two sexist dinosaurs though to be fair.

Sky do tend to stick to the same pool most of the time- Carragher, Neville, Redknapp, Souness. They mix it up on The Debate, where Liam Rosenior always comes across well (and Geoff Shreeves comes across as an opinionated bell end when his job should really be to mediate the discussion).

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

What's Trevor Francis do these days? He was like their Fink for a while there. One of the first hired by Sky to do the Premiership coverage.

Heard him a few times on various streams last season. Still got a cold.

• Paid Members

Trev should always have work. I insist that if Forest ever get back in the top flight he be installed as their new manager immediately.

14 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

What's Trevor Francis do these days? He was like their Fink for a while there. One of the first hired by Sky to do the Premiership coverage.

Had him on a stream from (I think) Canada recently and he is one of the worst I’ve ever heard.

Personally, I’ve never understood the fetish for ex players as pundits as much as we do in this country. Just because they played, they assume we’re interested in what they have to say 

I’d rather listen to knowledgeable people like Michael Cox or James Horncastle talk about football than Kevin Kilbane (picked at random, nothing massively against him)

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Personally, I’ve never understood the fetish for ex players as pundits as much as we do in this country. Just because they played, they assume we’re interested in what they have to say 

I’d rather listen to knowledgeable people like Michael Cox or James Horncastle talk about football than Kevin Kilbane (picked at random, nothing massively against him)

I can't imagine why they think players who played the game at the highest level might have something useful to say about it? They'll be giving them management and coaching jobs next.

The problem isn't that they're ex-players. It's which ex-players they are. Particularly those who still want to be big mates with fucking everyone.

• Paid Members

The biggest problem with football punditry, particularly co-commentary, is that they've forgotten what it's for. It's supposed to be to help the viewer understand the thinking behind decisions and decision making of the players, managers and refs. These days, it's just very obvious observation.

"What's he doing, Fletch?"

"He's just scuffed it, Fletch"

"He didn't really mean that, Fletch"

"He's caught him there, Fletch"

Just now, tiger_rick said:

I can't imagine why they think players who played the game at the highest level might have something useful to say about it? They'll be giving them management and coaching jobs next.

The problem isn't that they're ex-players. It's which ex-players they are. Particularly those who still want to be big mates with fucking everyone.

God, the dripping sarcasm off that first paragraph has just soaked me!

Yes, it is what players it is, but they do just seem to give anyone a job as a pundit. I’d prefer to see a mix of ex players and those who know the game to be honest.

@PunkStep The Mixer podcast was great, and he’s on The Totally Football Show nearly every week 

I enjoy the organisations that can't get the famous or more highly sought after ex players so just get whoever they can to do a punditry gig. like Talksport who wheel out Jason Cundy and Ray Parlour.

10 minutes ago, Ricc1PW said:

I enjoy the organisations that can't get the famous or more highly sought after ex players so just get whoever they can to do a punditry gig. like Talksport who wheel out Jason Cundy and Ray Parlour.

Danny Dichio on Canadian TV springs to mind