Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I think Leeds is a special case. I remember on a save on Championship Manager 01/02 where I took them over, sold their best players, signed every single one of the left over chaff to enormous, long contracts and watched them slowly bottom out and go bankrupt. One of the best saves I ever made. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

I used to want to see the likes of big clubs like Leeds and Forest in the Premier League to give it 'more prestige', but now I couldn't give a shit. I just want to see good football and a variety of styles I guess as well- therefore I'm intrigued to see how Sheff Utd's unusual set-up will fare next season. If you only have the historical 'big teams' occupying the PL spots all the time it become too inclusive in my view. I love the fact that Bournemouth are in the Premier League- it gives other small clubs hope that with the right model they can achieve something special, plus they play attractive football. I liked seeing Brighton promoted but quickly changed my mind after being bored rigid by their turgid style- hopefully the new manager changes this. Other clubs have proved to be fascinating additions over the years- Swansea, Wigan and even fucking Stoke being just a few examples.

In other news- RLC could miss the Europa League final after injuring his ankle during a friendly against New England Revolution in USA. What a stupid fucking time to have a friendly.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, David said:

You're a weird lad, Rick. I don't think I've ever met a football fan who says they don't give a shit about playing one of their main rivals (aren't they your actual main rival?)

Nothing weird about that, I'd rather never play against Albion, Villa, Brum or Coventry again if it means Wolves are doing better than them. 

13 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I used to want to see the likes of big clubs like Leeds and Forest in the Premier League to give it 'more prestige', but now I couldn't give a shit. I just want to see good football and a variety of styles I guess as well- therefore I'm intrigued to see how Sheff Utd's unusual set-up will fare next season. If you only have the historical 'big teams' occupying the PL spots all the time it become too inclusive in my view. I love the fact that Bournemouth are in the Premier League- it gives other small clubs hope that with the right model they can achieve something special, plus they play attractive football. I liked seeing Brighton promoted but quickly changed my mind after being bored rigid by their turgid style- hopefully the new manager changes this. Other clubs have proved to be fascinating additions over the years- Swansea, Wigan and even fucking Stoke being just a few examples.

Yeah, all valid points. It could just be changing times I guess. I sometimes forget that I attended my first game 33 years ago now, and there's a good chance that the majority of younger football fans don't really see the likes of Leeds, Forest or Villa as "big clubs" anymore, as they've been watching the other clubs who've risen to the fore as the game has changed.

Football has changed as well. It's more of an entertainment product than it was, especially down south. The allure for me of games that didn't involve my team was seeing what I termed as important clubs going head to head with each other. Clubs like Leeds, Forest, Manchester united, Liverpool, Arsenal and so on. 

I'd look forward to seeing Manchester United play Leeds with as much anticipation as I did seeing United play Arsenal, for example.

you're probably right in saying that Bournemouth play decent football, but in all honesty I tend not to watch them when they're on TV. They just don't grab me the same way other clubs do, clubs who are more "marmite" to football fans, as I think that adds to the occasion, or at least it did. In all probability it likely doesn't these days, as most top flight clubs have their fair share of football tourist fans, and a lot of the needle and animosity from back in the 90's and before is pretty much gone. Does Chelsea vs West Ham have the same appeal as it once did? Even Liverpool vs Manchester United?

If Leeds got promoted they'd probably be the same if they managed to stay up for two or three years.

Being a Scottish football fan outwith the Old Firm means you're kind of sheltered from the changes in the game to an extent. My club only started doing season cards in the past year or so, and were still using the book with vouchers up until that point. I would wander along after a few pints, let the guy at the gate rip out the relevant voucher, force the rusty turnstile forward and head in for the game before getting a pie, bovril, and a chocolate bar at half time (choice of mars bar, snickers, or a twix if you were quick enough and they hadn't sold out)

Christ, it's no wonder I want Leeds to go up. I still think it's 1993 it would seem! I subconsciously want to see how John Lukic would fare against the likes of Lukaku and Aguero, and question if Tony Dorigo can justify his £1.3 million price tag against the likes of Sterling and Felipe Anderson!

• Paid Members

I'm with Rick on this one. As long as Barnsley are in the higher division, I would be over the moon if we never faced either the Sheffield clubs or Leeds ever again. It's not like most derby matches even live up to the hype surrounding them either. Because we're in an era where players rarely stay at a club for more than a few years, I find they don't even buy into a clubs rivalry so the matches usually end up duds*.

*Obviously, there are exceptions. These are just my views of big derby and rival matches recently...

7 hours ago, David said:

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing Leeds up again, and I watch my fair share of football.

Give me a club like Leeds who generate strong reactions from other fans over what I'd term "nothing" clubs like Cardiff, Brighton or Huddersfield.

But then again, I'm part of that generation who collected Panini stickers in the 80's and can remember the rush of getting a "shiny" that belonged to one of the big clubs, and at the time that included Leeds. You either supported Leeds, or you fucking hated them. Very few people were ambivalent towards them.

I'd love nothing better than seeing clubs such as Leeds, Forest, Villa or QPR back in the top flight. Fuck, I'd love to see Millwall back up for the same reason as Leeds, it's a fixture that opposing fans would take notice of on the schedule.

You could go even further and throw the likes of Coventry, Charlton and Wimbledon into that mix as well, the type of clubs that I'd like to see flit between the Championship and the Premiership. 

Honestly, what would fans of clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea rather have? Away days against Cardiff, Brighton, Huddersfield, Swansea etc? Or Millwall, Leeds, Forest and Wimbledon?

This is hilarious trolling. Huddersfield and Cardiff are two of the best away trips I’ve ever been on. They might have played shit football these past two years but their fans are great. 

Millwall away? Fucking hell. No thanks. 

Basically your ideal world would be Hulk Hogan and Richard Keys fronting The Big Match wouldn’t it?

3 hours ago, David said:

Football has changed as well. It's more of an entertainment product than it was, especially down south. The allure for me of games that didn't involve my team was seeing what I termed as important clubs going head to head with each other. Clubs like Leeds, Forest, Manchester united, Liverpool, Arsenal and so on. 

I'd look forward to seeing Manchester United play Leeds with as much anticipation as I did seeing United play Arsenal, for example.

you're probably right in saying that Bournemouth play decent football, but in all honesty I tend not to watch them when they're on TV. They just don't grab me the same way other clubs do, clubs who are more "marmite" to football fans, as I think that adds to the occasion, or at least it did. In all probability it likely doesn't these days, as most top flight clubs have their fair share of football tourist fans, and a lot of the needle and animosity from back in the 90's and before is pretty much gone. Does Chelsea vs West Ham have the same appeal as it once did? Even Liverpool vs Manchester United?

I'd say your view of football is more fitting of football as an entertainment product. You'd rather have name teams with history facing off against each other in the Premier League and don't really watch a team like Bournemouth regardless of how they play (though, to be fair, this year has been a decline for sure).

Having said that, we shouldn't make out the Premier League is the be all and end all.

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Typical Fairweather fan. 

David is right, solely because he mentioned Coventry. 

Absolutely right. Them visiting the Lane the other year was enough. One of them nearly spilt my latte and used lots of swears in a song

33 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

I'd say your view of football is more fitting of football as an entertainment product. You'd rather have name teams with history facing off against each other in the Premier League and don't really watch a team like Bournemouth regardless of how they play (though, to be fair, this year has been a decline for sure).

Yeah, that was mainly me talking about the people who aren't arsed about playing their rivals to be honest. As a neutral I'd view games not involving my team as entertainment.

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Absolutely right. Them visiting the Lane the other year was enough. One of them nearly spilt my latte and used lots of swears in a song

Next thing you know they'll be storming the cheese room and throwing popcorn around, the louts.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Can you stop rubbing it in that there is no cheese room!!!! We’re devastated by it

Especially Eriksen. Lack of cheese tends to make the Danish blue

Edited by Carbomb

7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Basically your ideal world would be Hulk Hogan and Richard Keys fronting The Big Match wouldn’t it?

How do I move this to the "things I didn't know I wanted" thread?!

• Awards Moderator
On 5/16/2019 at 11:06 AM, gmoney said:

I miss David Hopkin scoring a pearl from 30 yards. 

Third best day of my life*, that. Honestly, I still remember the feeling of that going in and completely losing it as an 18-year old moron surrounded by people who had no idea why I had an emotional breakdown in the middle of a Liverpool boozer.

*Darren Ambrose twatting it at Old Trafford and Thatcher dying.

Edited by Frankie Crisp