Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Moderators

We was talking in the pub earlier about why we all wanted Ajax to go all the way. And it all cam down to "Wasn't it nice when the likes of Red Star Belgrade or those cheating Marseille bastards would win it?" other than a bunch of perrenial runners up in their own leagues making the trophy a mere trinket, equal in value to a Scottish league title.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

How the heck did Liverpool and Spurs do this without their top scorers? Itll be harsh when Origi and someone at Spurs is dropped for Salah and Kane.

Stunning year for the CL. These 2 games.. United's PSG comeback.. Ajax at Real and Juve, Spurs at Man City drama. Just unreal.

5 of the top 6 could achieve something brilliant this year.. bar United. The useless shits.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

We was talking in the pub earlier about why we all wanted Ajax to go all the way. And it all cam down to "Wasn't it nice when the likes of Red Star Belgrade or those cheating Marseille bastards would win it?" other than a bunch of perrenial runners up in their own leagues making the trophy a mere trinket, equal in value to a Scottish league title.

Rangers would have won it if it wasn't for those cheating Marseille bastards. It's amazing that they didn't in the Souness era. Half the England team was up here and they wanted Lineker.

9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It's nearly 90 years combined since the Champions League finalists won their league. #BringBackProperFootball 

Yeah, it's entertaining and all that, but it's hardly the Champions League really, is it? It's primarily the English, German and Spanish super league with the occasional sprinkling of Italian for good measure. Now and then an annoyance from another country will popup, but that's quickly dealt with when the established sides just buy their good players and slap them back down into their proper place.

Isn't there changes scheduled for the near future as well? 

Tell you what, folk can pan it all they like, but I wouldn't trade my shitty little Scottish Premier League for any of it. I've been to games down south when living and working down there, and it doesn't even feel like the same sport. It's not far off going to see a baseball or American football game when you're on holiday. I'll stick with my ramshackle stadiums, pie and bovril, players who earn a grand or two a week at most and something that still resembles the sport that I first fell in love with during the late 80's.

What annoyed me during the week was that there was no coverage of the Ayr United and Inverness play-off game on telly due to the rules when a Champions League game is being played.

• Paid Members

Now I’ve calmed down I feel so bad for some of the Ajax fan faces at the end last night. The team paid for thinking they could drop deep for 45 minutes but to watch your team crumble like that... I can’t imagine.

what am I saying??? Of course I can.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Blimey Baz, that's a stretch and a half isn't it?

A bit of one but they had Woods, Steven, Stevens, Butcher, Roberts, Wilkins, Hateley, Francis and Sterland over those 3-4 years when English clubs were out of Europe so a fair clique including half the regular defence. As good as that Rangers team was, there were better teams all over Europe. The Eastern bloc teams were very strong at the time as well as the usual mob.

Not sure how much validity there is to this, as it's been doing the rounds on social media with a vague claim that it was published on the BBC site?

Liverpool have been allocated 16,613 tickets for the Champions League final in Madrid, approximately 24% of the Estadio Metropolitano's capacity.

The cheapest are £60, but only account for 20% of the Reds' allocation, with 54% of tickets priced at £154, 21% at £385 and 5% at £513.

The other finalists, Ajax or Tottenham, will receive the same allocation at the 68,000-seater stadium.

Uefa has already sold 4,000 tickets to "fans worldwide".

The rest will go to the local organising committee, Uefa and national associations, commercial partners and broadcasters and corporate hospitality.

Liverpool have been given 100 adult/junior combined tickets priced at £120 per pair, but there will be no other concessionary tickets available.

They also received 300 tickets for club staff and players' families and friends.

So, both Liverpool and Spurs fans combined will make up less than 50% of the people in the stadium come game day?

I'd love to say that I'm shocked and find this appalling, but it actually fits in nicely with the ethos of the Champions League, where the fans are an afterthought to the berks in suits and the money.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

I'm in shock! I've just received an e-mail congratulating me that I've won an all expenses paid trip to the Champion's League final! I'm proper shaking!!!