Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The Scouse cunt is unbearable in my office today. I'm going to have mixed emotions tonight when Ajax dump my shower out because a small part of me will be relieved that I don't have to put up with the unbearable Bantz!!11 that the week before a Spurs/Liverpool final would subject me too. If she tries to direct talking about last night's game in my direction, I have "I'd rather kill myself than have this conversation" cued up to hit quicker than glass shattering for a Steve Austin run in.

Luckily the only Liverpool fans in my office are friendly Asians, so I can be happy for them.

Absolutely unbelievable. There’s nothing else like this sport. So, so proud of this team and the performances they’ve put in this season.

When Liverpool were down after the first leg, I was saying to my brother how, even though I thought they were most likely out, I wouldn't be shocked if they somehow managed the turn it around. Liverpool just have this weird knack for odd miracles unlike anyone else in football. These things seem to happen to them more than anyone else.

It made me wonder about other teams and the things they have a weird knack for. Historically, I'd say United have been the example of a team who just have a knack for winning games somehow. It's a tight match, they haven't performed amazingly, but somehow, at the death, they'll find a goal or two to take them over the line. It's been part of their character for years.

Then I thought, as an Arsenal fan, what do we have a knack for? What do we do that others don't with an unusual, almost unbelievable regularity? And sadly the answer I came up with was "lose by a cricket score to decent teams". What a shit knack.

I'd be interested to hear if any other clubs have these habits that somehow feel unusually prevalent or completely unique to them.

10 minutes ago, textonly said:

When Liverpool were down after the first leg, I was saying to my brother how, even though I thought they were most likely out, I wouldn't be shocked if they somehow managed the turn it around. Liverpool just have this weird knack for odd miracles unlike anyone else in football. These things seem to happen to them more than anyone else.

It made me wonder about other teams and the things they have a weird knack for. Historically, I'd say United have been the example of a team who just have a knack for winning games somehow. It's a tight match, they haven't performed amazingly, but somehow, at the death, they'll find a goal or two to take them over the line. It's been part of their character for years.

Then I thought, as an Arsenal fan, what do we have a knack for? What do we do that others don't with an unusual, almost unbelievable regularity? And sadly the answer I came up with was "lose by a cricket score to decent teams". What a shit knack.

I'd be interested to hear if any other clubs have these habits that somehow feel unusually prevalent or completely unique to them.

Let me introduce you to something called Spursy...

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, textonly said:

Used to be "lose away to Bolton" but they did you a favour and got relegated.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, textonly said:

Yeah, if they get an early goal (which they did yesterday) they are more than likely to turn any result around.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

The Scouse cunt is unbearable in my office today. I'm going to have mixed emotions tonight when Ajax dump my shower out because a small part of me will be relieved that I don't have to put up with the unbearable Bantz!!11 that the week before a Spurs/Liverpool final would subject me too. If she tries to direct talking about last night's game in my direction, I have "I'd rather kill myself than have this conversation" cued up to hit quicker than glass shattering for a Steve Austin run in.

The Spurs/Liverpool rivalry that has intensified over the past 5 years fascinates me. In the past, there hasn't been much of one (no more than Arsenal/Liverpool, Spurs/United and other similar match-ups), but something has really developed in recent years and I think social media has contributed to that. Battling over the same players (only for both to then lose out to Chelsea most of the time) might be a factor.

But there aren't many fan rivalries that I have noticed, beyond the traditional derbies and rivalries, as fierce as the one between these two. Where I live I know more Spurs fans than any other fans, and they despise Liverpool. With Arsenal, most of the fans I know hate us in a 'I was born to' kind of manner, but their feeling towards Liverpool is vitriol. Even more than their hatred towards Chelsea.

2 hours ago, textonly said:

Then I thought, as an Arsenal fan, what do we have a knack for?

Absolutely fuck all. I suppose our knack is giving false hope that for a brief moment we could be in a position to start playing with the big boys, only for a harsh blow of reality to remind us that we are bang average. For years we've been taunted that in Premier League terms we are turning into Liverpool, but we're clearly beyond that. We're turning into Everton.

Not a big fan of Liverpool, I find the media love in sickening and a lot of their fans utterly idiotic but I was willing for them to hold on there. Stunnin comeback. With how they have done this year they deserve something. If they get Spurs in the final I'll be getting a perm and a CANDY washing machine to show my support

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

I’m so pleased Fabinho settled in to life at Anfield, he’s such a decent footballer and sweeps up everything in the middle.

He's been tremendous. Dunno if I said on here but we were chatting in the car on the way to a game Saturday about what everyone needs and Liverpool are a hard one. The common feeling seemed to be a few months ago that they're short in midfield but Fabinho looks awesome now, Keita hasn't been as good but is settling and Henderson has been tremendous. Milner can't even get a start. Then you've got Gini Wijnaldum who's seriously impressive and Oxlade-Chamberlain coming back in. Then just when you think they probably need another forward as Sturridge will probably go, Origi steps up. Some squad.

Centre half is the only real area I can see them realistically strenghtening. That Van Dijk fella is shit.

10 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

He's been tremendous. Dunno if I said on here but we were chatting in the car on the way to a game Saturday about what everyone needs and Liverpool are a hard one. The common feeling seemed to be a few months ago that they're short in midfield but Fabinho looks awesome now, Keita hasn't been as good but is settling and Henderson has been tremendous. Milner can't even get a start. Then you've got Gini Wijnaldum who's seriously impressive and Oxlade-Chamberlain coming back in. Then just when you think they probably need another forward as Sturridge will probably go, Origi steps up. Some squad.

Centre half is the only real area I can see them realistically strenghtening. That Van Dijk fella is shit.

I still think another forward player is needed as back up. The centre of defence is great. I think Gomez and VVD is my favourite combination at the centre of defence and then you've got Lovren and Matip to fill in. Though if Matthijs De Ligt became available I'd happily see him in a Liverpool shirt. We've the 2 best full backs in the league, if not Europe but I do think we need slightly better quality in terms of back up. Sure Gomez and Milner can fill in but they're better played in other positions.

A goalkeeper will probably need signed. I can't see Mignolet being there next season. I'd love to see someone like Butland sign, he'd be a great but I'm not sure how willing he'd be to sign for a team where he'll be back up.

The midfield is great we've options all over the place. No real need to strengthen there.

The front three pick themselves but outside of them I don't see anyone I'd be happy to see fill in for a long period of time should there be an injury there. Origi deserves a statue built for him to honour his exploits this season but unfortunately I don't know if he could do it for an extended period of time. He's not exactly prolific. Sturridge will be gone in the summer, Milner is also out of contract but hopefully he gets a new deal.

That's all nit picking by the way but you can't afford to stand still in this game, just look at the ruthlessness of Sir Alex at Manchester United, you need to continually improve and I'm sure Jurgen will be given the funds to do that and be backed by the board in terms of who he wants to bring in.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

With Arsenal, most of the fans I know hate us in a 'I was born to' kind of manner, but their feeling towards Liverpool is vitriol. Even more than their hatred towards Chelsea.

I really loathe Liverpool for a variety of reasons from the last 15 years or so. But its nothing compared to Chelsea. The Arsenal are a team I'd love to take 6 points off every year, Chelsea I'd prefer to see relegated 7 years in a row or just Thanos'd out of existence altogether.