Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

9 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Shouldnt he be done by the EPL for advertising? Like the Arsenal player who had Paddy Power on his pants? 

Anyway a good day all round, the neutrals favourites destroy Fulham and go back to the top of the EPL. Mane currently the best player in Europe as well. 

Milner with the coolness a mafia assassin putting that penalty away. Didnt need to jog up doing 35 little steps like Carlton Pogba. 

We scraped past a team in 19th place because of a penalty. Wind it in.

Will agree that Mane has been fantastic though. Single-handedly keeping us in with a shout since Salah has apparently forgotten he's allowed to pass the ball to the players on his team.

Edited by AdamTH17

7 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Top four in Premier League always get in the Champions League. If an English team wins Europa League and:

* If they are top three in Premier League, they get in CL group stage as normal.

* If they are fourth in Premier League, they get in CL qualifying round as normal.

* If they are outside the top four, they get an extra spot in the qualifying round (alongside the team that's fourth in Premier League, so England gets an unusual five teams in the league.

Same applies to an English team that wins the Champions League.

The one exception is the unlikely event of English teams winning both the Champions League and Europa League while finishing outside the top four. In the case they both go into Champions League alongside the top three, with the team in fourth place getting the Europa League slot instead.

Put it another way:

England gets 4/5 Champions League places

Sorry Lister, you need to update your sources. The top 4 teams from Spain, England, Germany and Italy all go straight into the group stage of the CL now, as do the Europa winners, no matter what else happens. The CL winners always got a spot straight in the group stages even when they finished outside the top four, apart from that one season (2005-06) where there was confusion surrounding the fate of holders Liverpool and 4th-placed Everton.

Everything else is accurate though. No country can have 6 teams in the competition, which I think is the even more unlikely scenario you were explaining there (and the trickery UEFA pulls to stop it happening). Basically if Man Utd or Spurs win the CL and finish 5th, and Arsenal or Chelsea win the EL and finish 6th, the 4th-placed team would miss out on the CL. Convoluted, but still possible at this stage of the season.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Murtz said:

So.. United and Chelsea finish 5th and 6th.. both win their European comps.. Arsenal finish 3rd and Spurs miss out on CL by finishing 4th.. sounds hilarious.

I mean obviously I'd want us to finish 3rd AND win the Europa, however that would be a brilliant 'next best scenario'.

• Paid Members

Corrected thanks to FogDude:

England gets four CL places, all straight in the group stage:

* First three slots guaranteed for the top three in the league

* Fourth slot almost always goes to fourth in the league (see below)

Separately to English qualification, the CL winners and EL winners get a spot in the group stage if they need it.

There's a hard limit of five teams from one country, so in the unlikely event that six teams qualify (ie English teams outside the top four win both CL and EL), fourth in PL misses out.

England also gets three EL slots which go to:

* Group stage slot: Highest PL team that's not in CL

* Group stage slot: FA Cup winners (unless qualified for CL, in which case next highest PL team not already in Europe gets it)

* Qualifiers slot: League Cup winners (unless qualified for CL, in which case next highest PL team not already in Europe gets it)

8 hours ago, JNLister said:

Corrected thanks to FogDude

No worries. To be honest your earlier post jogged my memory. I was so focused on the scenario where the 5th-placed team could end up starting next season on the 25th of July that I'd completely forgotten there was still a way the 4th-placed team can miss out on the Champions League completely. 

The Premier League's coefficient hasn't even improved massively, mind you. The only reason we have an extra place directly in the group stage is that the big 4 countries threatened UEFA with a breakaway European Super League if they didn't give in to their demands.