Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

Trippier has been absolutely awful this season and that is an example of reputation being picked over form, something I thought Southgate wasn’t about? 100% he should’ve tried Wan-Bissaka.

lol that Declan Rice is going to get an England cap before Mark Noble. Maybe Nobles currently scratching around trying to find ties to the Irish national team 

Anyway, as Devon mentioned, ugh international break. 3 weeks between league games is...rubbish 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

lol that Declan Rice is going to get an England cap before Mark Noble. Maybe Nobles currently scratching around trying to find ties to the Irish national team  

Inject it into my veins. Fuck 'Brexit Nobes', the very epitome of average talent English footballers. Penalty merchant.

3 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Aaron Wan-Bissaka is yhr biggest omission for me. Shambles he hadn't been called up on his form. 

He was never going to get in ahead of the excellent TAA and Kyle Walker, in fairness. However...

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I've been a big fan of Trippier for years but he's been wank lately. I wouldn't accomodate him.

...I'd have taken him instead of Trippier, who has been crap since he scored that free kick against Croatia. I wouldn't say Trippier is being accommodated as such though- Southgate is taking a 25 man squad and those extra two places have been given to full backs, bizarrely.

Trippier probably won't get a game, same with Rose perhaps, which begs the question why bother taking them when instead you can bring an extra couple of midfielders/forwards that could offer something different? Foden could be a good shout given his recent playing time and I'm surprised Maddison has been omitted- unless he's injured?

The problem with Gerrard is that he fell into the classic Rangers trap of throwing shite at the wall to see what sticks. He has gone all in this season and can't moan about lack of backing. They were level with Celtic (who had a game in hand) going into the winter break and have shat the bed. Celtic aren't likely to be any worse than they were in the first half of this season, and Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Hibs view them as a potential scalp in every game. Nobody fears Rangers anymore.

As a club, Rangers are arguably the best example of short-term thinkers in football as they have no patience to see anything out. They didn't back Paul Le Guen because he was a weird foreigner who didn't allow junk food and made them train like proper footballers. They turfed out Warburton at the first signs of trouble after raving about him. Rangers and their supporters are money marks who have a bizarre sense of entitlement borne out of a period of criminal financial doping that ultimately killed them as a football club. If you look historically, they've seldom established themselves as top dogs at any other period since about the 60s- - other than the late 80s/throughout the 90s when Celtic were at death's door and after Aberdeen and Dundee United had their glory days.

In the cold light of day, getting into Europe has spared a lot of blushes for Steven Gerrard. That was an impressive achievement but since then he has failed to better the records of Mark Warburton and Pedro Caixinha, which is pretty much the most damning assessment of how he's coped. Caixinha is viewed as a muppet who brought no success while bloating the squad with shite: what's different? A few away days in the continent? I think he's on a sticky wicket. He will last out the season unless something goes really wrong in the league, but he's got a lot to prove. Pragmatism about "closing the gap" or "keeping in touch" means nothing when the evidence is that he's on a par with one of the worst Rangers managers of all time.

• Paid Members

Warburton and Davie Weir went to Notts Forest. Both of them were getting ready to walk anyway. Two of them were 95% out the door. Might as well save a bit of face by sacking them.

Onto a different subject. yesterday Swansea get a penalty in their 3-0 defeat against West Brom. Step up Bersant Celina..

Edited by bAzTNM#1

1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Warburton and Davie Weir went to Notts Forest. Both of them were getting ready to walk anyway. Two of them were 95% out the door. Might as well save a bit of face by sacking them.

Save a bit of face? They allegedly found out that their "resignations had been accepted" while watching Sky Sports News. Great face saving exercise, that.

• Paid Members

Great result for Liverpool last night. Dreadful game though. Incredible what a spent force Bayern look. Neuer, Hummels, Alaba, James, Thiago, Martinez, Lewandowski, Ribery, Gnabry. Koman and Goretzka off the bench. But so uninspired, so little energy and no ambition. Liverpool were awful in possession in both games, by their standards, and absolutely pissed it. Bayern have won 12/13 in the Bundesliga which says a lot about the level over there currently. Not as much as Man City said on Tuesday though I suspect.

Half the quarter finalists are English. Great effort again. Draw will be interesting. They'll all be queuing up to face Ajax, Porto and Spurs.

• Paid Members

I didn't realise that the English teams could face each other in the quarters. I was anticipating a pot with the English sides in and a pot with thr European sides in. City & Juventus could be a heck of a match. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Hope an English team wins it. Didn't this happen in the old UEFA Cup (might have been three teams. Newcastle were in it) and they still, unfortunately, mucked it up?

It definitely happened at least twice around 10 years ago and in fact for three years running 3 out of the 4 Champions League semi finalists were from the Premier League's Big 4 at the time: 06/07, 07/08 and 08/09. Yet the only PL winner was from the United/Chelsea final in 2008.

Some journalist posted last night 'rivalries aside, its great to see all 4 English cups progress to the quarter finals' or something to that effect.

Is it fuck. Hope they all get smashed.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Some journalist posted last night 'rivalries aside, its great to see all 4 English cups progress to the quarter finals' or something to that effect.

Is it fuck. Hope they all get smashed.

100% this. I want all four eliminated in the quarters ideally. Maybe City could make the semis, but fuck the others.