Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Murtz said:

Wait.. some Arsenal fans would rather keep Ozil??

You should see those defending him. There's getting behind him, but man some of these fans are rabid with their backing. Emery out, with all the words under the sun directed at him. We're in the age of supporting a player rather than a club, and I blame Messi and Ronaldo for that.

I don't know where I stand with Ozil. When he's on it, he's insatiable. But those moments are becoming less frequent and he's on £350k a week, which doesn't help matters. His 'back spasms' and bouts of flu mean you can't depend on him week in week out. Problem is, with a massive contract signed last year, who's gonna take him on? He doesn't want to leave and who can blame him.

• Paid Members

Shame about David Wagner at Huddersfield, did an absolutely terrific job there. Nice though of the chairman to take a change of tact from the norm in his statement, pointing out that although the term 'mutual consent' usually means the manager has been sacked outright, in this case it's actually genuine. 

Just hope the same doesn't happen with Farke in a couple of years time if we do something really silly like get promoted. 

Mesut Ozil inspired possibly my favourite paragraph of football journalism from Barney Ronay:

"Certainly at times last season Özil resembled not so much a high-end creative midfielder as some beautifully frail alien prince being ferried around from pitch to pitch by 10 dedicated human helpers yoked into fawning submission by his regal Martian glaze. In many ways his signing still looks like an act of mild debauchery for this lopsided Arsenal team, with its amusingly insistent excess of attacking midfield talent."

• Paid Members

So, spygate. The FA and EFL are investigating the incident and many have claimed what Bielsa did was unsportsmanlike and unethical.

So, does Bielsa:

A) Accept he made a mistake, claim it was just the one time and promise not to do it again whilst apologising profusely to Fat Frank? Or...

B) Call an unscheduled news conference, tell everyone he's done this every single game so far this season and then proceed to give the press A POWERPOINT PRESENTATION to explain why he's stupid if he doesn't spy on his opponents.

He's the man.

• Paid Members

I can't see how he did a thing wrong. As Eddie Guerrero would have told us, "if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying". The clubs and the media that are getting on their high horse could do with winding their necks in a bit, and ask why their manager hasn't thought to do the same. (I'm guessing a lot of them have, and just haven't gotten caught yet). It's all much more fun Marcelo's way. 

• Paid Members

I’d genuinely watch the conference/lecture and take home the handouts in full as it’s superb insight. Might even help me on FM. He’s clearly an intelligent bloke and you can’t knock him for effort.

But while Leeds fans are lapping it up, and if Danile Farke had done the same thing I’d probably call him a genius as well. But I do think it’s a bit norty having spies sent to opposition training grounds. It’s like your own inner sanctums aren’t fair game anymore. You can’t blame Lampard and Derby being furious about it, especially as it came to light before their match (mind you, had they kept it underwraps away from the media until post-match it might not have disrupted their prep as much). 

...So yeah, dock them points so we finish above them nice one cheers.

• Paid Members

Keep watching the Bielsa clips over and over. The funniest thing is that for whining about the spying, Marcelo rewards Lampard by showing every little detail of Derby's tactics for the world to see.

I highly doubt they'll get a point deduction Nicko, they've not broken any rules!

• Paid Members
On 1/3/2019 at 6:28 PM, CleetusVanDamme said:

It's likely a "loan" in name only. The buy-out clause will be mandatory, I don't think Juve will have agreed on that fee unless it was guaranteed. Higuain to Chelsea for only 6 months (as ideal as it would be) probably isn't possible. It'd have to be Chelsea picking up Milan's "loan" and buying him outright from Juve in the summer, or "loaning" him from and Morata to Milan with them turning permanent in the summer. Chelsea won't want him beyond this season.

ContentFrequentAfricanclawedfrog-size_re

Morata to Atleti's supposedly done too, I'm very curious to see what kind of fee we get, if it's permanent.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

As a philistine who's not paid attention to fine Italian football, why did higuain go out on loan? Was it just to get him off the books because of Ronaldo or is he a spent force?