Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm talking about my own club though and from the perspective of a fan of that club.  I can't fathom how a fan of a club would put entertainment over results.  Results are the most important thing, are you saying you'd rather be entertained than win the league with incredibly boring football?  Not on your nelly.

This, to me, is too close to a "win at any or all costs" mentality. All sport should be fun, both playing and watching. That's why good football draws more viewers than good cycling. It's more fun. Of course you want to win, or you want your to team to win. But any kind of win? Neil Warnock teams are horrible, gamesmanship to the nth degree, deliberate cuntery that's either just within the rules or slyly enough done that they get away with it, etc. Life's too short. Fuck Neil Warnock. It's not a binary choice, anyway. You can't win every game.

I think there's just a philosophical difference here. If all that matters is the win, you're getting into pyrrhic victories and tribal nonsense. 

Yes, I'd take any kind of win as winning is entertaining to me.  "At least we played well" is a tossers mirage, you don't get extra points for your style of play or shots on target or anything like that.  You get points for winning and drawing.

54 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

But professional sport is entertainment, that’s the whole point. Why would anyone pay to travel, watch and follow anything they didn’t find entertaining?

Professional sport is sport.  If it entertains you then great.  I pay, travel and watch my team to support them and as I've said ad nauseam, I'd take a "Boring" win over an "Entertaining" loss every single time.

Entertainment is subjective, results are not.

47 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Neil Warnock teams are horrible, gamesmanship to the nth degree, deliberate cuntery that's either just within the rules or slyly enough done that they get away with it

I'd take that every single time if it got results.

23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yes, I'd take any kind of win as winning is entertaining to me.  "At least we played well" is a tossers mirage, you don't get extra points for your style of play or shots on target or anything like that.  You get points for winning and drawing.

Professional sport is sport.  If it entertains you then great.  I pay, travel and watch my team to support them and as I've said ad nauseam, I'd take a "Boring" win over an "Entertaining" loss every single time.

Entertainment is subjective, results are not.

I'd take that every single time if it got results.

Then it's about your definition of fun, and the means of achieving that fun. If you're beholden to the idea that "any kind of win = the most fun", there's little more to be said. We'll just have to agree that you're wrong 😉

And I'll agree that winning counts in sport and being entertained counts in entertainment.  What entertains me about an away day is the day, the travel, visiting a ground I may not have been to before.  If Coventry win, it's been a good visit, if they lose, it was a shit visit.  If they lost 4-3 to a last minute goal, it's an even shitter visit.

It's not about "Fun", it's about "Sport"

EDIT - To save any more back and forth, I'm referring to when I watch MY team play, as in when I'm not a neutral.  If it's a game I have no investment in, such as a Premiership game, then yes, being entertained stops me changing the channel, but when it's MY club, it's all about the result and I find it odd that if you're a fan of a club, you aren't all about the result.

Edited by Keith Houchen
Proper fan.

• Paid Members

United with a babyface manager just feels very weird. Must be an odd one for the media and for fans of our rivals too, I suppose. Ole's just about the nicest man you could find in a sport like football.

I'm excited but nervous as fuck for the guy! Given the situation he is being put into I don't think he will be able to do much wrong in the eyes of the fans though. Really looking forward to more optimistic times ahead at Old Trafford.

Man Utd tweeted and deleted something about him being their Interim Manager but they can do a Pogba and say it was an automated scheduled tweet because that's actually believable from those in charge.  The words piss up and brewery do spring to mind, as do football club and run.

• Paid Members

This interim manager thing is bizarre. Imagine if Ole performs some sort of miracle and drags them up to fourth or wins the FA Cup or something.

"Cheers Ole. Now fuck off back to Molde."

He should tell them to fuck off. Give me the job permanently or I'm going back on my holidays.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, KingofSports said:

SKY calling bullshit on the Ole story. Bullshit they probably started. Outside of pinching some other club's manager, Zidane's a decent shout isn't he?

As an interim manager? Yeah I'm sure he'll go for that.

In fact, I don't think he'll be their next permanent manager either. I don't think he should be anyway.

• Paid Members
On 12/17/2018 at 9:36 AM, ColinBollocks said:

Martin Bain is pure boardroom sleaze throughout. It's wonderful. I assume it was with his blessing this went ahead, as he thought he'd arrive and get the team promoted no problem, but the team behind the docu-series did a tremendous job making him look like an egomaniacal knob.

Very much recommend it.

Martin Bain ran off when Rangers were going down. I'd be seriously worried if he was on my boardroom.