Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I stuck with it nearly all the way to the end of the season last year, for the first time, because there was money involved via work and I was in contention up until around the last two gameweeks where the guy in 1st just shot ahead and I knew I wasn't going to catch him. It'll be the same this year - money involved is the only way I can keep interested season long.

• Paid Members

Went to my first friendly in about 10 years last night, as Barnsley lost 3-2 to West Brom at Oakwell. I don't like to read too much into friendly results or performances, but on the whole BFC look to be improving the new managers "gengenpressing" style he wants to play, and WBA, while maybe needing to tighten up their defending of crosses looked solid and tactically good...

• Paid Members
On 7/23/2018 at 11:17 PM, PunkStep said:

This story that Ivan Gazidis is leaving his role at Arsenal to become chief exec at Milan is really gathering pace. It seems so unlikely, seeing as he finally won the power battle with Wenger this year and has assembled his own senior management team, but Di Marzio is usually on the money when it comes to scoopz.

I'm going to pray to all of the gods out there that Arsene is his replacement. Imagine that, he finally leaves and is back with even more power 2 months later. "It was me DT, it was me all along"

Seems to be more reports (Sky Italia admittedly) gathering pace on this. Bloody typical, does nothing for several years, finally enacts his master plan to get the machinery of change in place, fucks off to Milan just as it's getting moving. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Ralphy said:

was Chris brunt playing? His left peg is a peach! (well, it isn't, as it wouldn't last very long...!) 

Brunt played most of the game. Didn't do a lot to be fair, but I remember how good he was from when he was at Wednesday. Only thing I'd be worried about as an Albian fan was the first Barnsley goal. The defence let Lloyd Isgove, a 5 foot 7 winger get up above the defense to score a header from a corner. No excuses for that... 

18 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I always assume that anyone who doesn't get bored of whatever fantasy league they're in after, at the most, two weeks must be some kind of social outcast.

There’s one in in my work that combats this by running loads of cups/manager of month/ points prizes to keep people into it through the year. Prize pots about 4K all in. Bugger all that effort 

• Paid Members

Sort of random question: in the case of Chelsea and Manchester City, if you're of a certain age especially, do you think that there is a sort of invisible asterisk next to their achievements since getting massive injections of cash from questionable individuals? Or does nobody really care anymore?

• Paid Members

I couldn't care. Money has always talked and often got results in football, it's just that as the game has become even more popular and lucrative, the greater the amounts of money involved have become. 23 years ago Blackburn were accused of buying the title. Before that I'm sure there have been loads of other examples.

47 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Sort of random question: in the case of Chelsea and Manchester City, if you're of a certain age especially, do you think that there is a sort of invisible asterisk next to their achievements since getting massive injections of cash from questionable individuals? Or does nobody really care anymore?

Nope, in fact I'd say the ones who seem to care are the ones who had their noses put out of joint by their monopoly being broken.  As Brewster points out, Blackburn "Bought the league" for under 30 mill.  The times they have a changed.

Bang on Keith. It's not like the established teams weren't spending the pennies at the same time. I believe that both United and Liverpool spent more in the summer of 1994 before Blackburn won the league that year. 

Edited by The Maestro

• Paid Members

Schurrle has joined Fulham on a two year loan. Wow, Fulham are definitely going to be worth watching next season with him and Sessegnon bombing forward and Seri bossing the midfield. They've brought in a decent keeper, too. If Mike Ashley stops fucking about and sells Mitrovic to them, then I can definitely see them staying up. Would love it if they finished above Jorgehampton Wanderers.

• Paid Members

Fulham have always been good guys even when Al Fayed put a nonce's statue outside the ground. They are easily the most palatable of the promoted clubs. And if they hang on to Sessegnon and sell him to us after Mourinho has fucked off, even better.

• Paid Members

You always hear about non-Fulham fans and players talking about how Craven Cottage is their favourite away day as well. Good fans and a great atmosphere. Jean Tigana chewing on a toothpick used to look cool as fuck in their dugout.

If Seri continues his form at Fulham, you could definitely see him moving to one of the Premier League big boys next summer. I'm calling it now- Chelsea for £70m.