PowerButchi

Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

It's probably akin to being at Goodison really, Stavo. The fans these days genuinely don't know what they want or what they're supposedly doing there at the best of times.
Take the Everton fans' opinion of Seamus Coleman for example. Two weeks ago, he was unanimously our greatest hero. A pillar of strength and passion. Captain Fantastic. 
After Sunday he's deemed past it - and a cunt - by the same people that adored him before kick off.

That Brexit question might have been asked by one surveyor to Gary from Netherfield Road before he went the shops and his answer was "leave". Gary could have seen his missus talk to a man of differing ethnicity and changed his mind to "Remain" on the way back when asked by a different surveyor.

Just a quick heads up for those of you who may (or may not) have seen Bands F.C. at any point recently, they're currently running a 24hr offer on the rather beautiful Pulp-inspired Sheffield Wednesday style shirt below. The cost is £50 with £7 delivery but all proceeds go to Sheffield Children's Hospital, a truly fantastic cause that I have personal experience of when our son was there shortly after he was born, so it'd be fantastic to see them sell well. They're being made to order (sizings on the Twitter linked above) and whether you're a Wednesday fan like me, a Pulp fan or simply keen on an interesting bit of memorabilia, you could certainly do far worse than throw your cash towards this.

zKuEM5i.jpg img%5D

16 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Just a quick heads up for those of you who may (or may not) have seen Bands F.C. at any point recently, they're currently running a 24hr offer on the rather beautiful Pulp-inspired Sheffield Wednesday style shirt below. The cost is £50 with £7 delivery but all proceeds go to Sheffield Children's Hospital, a truly fantastic cause that I have personal experience of when our son was there shortly after he was born, so it'd be fantastic to see them sell well. They're being made to order (sizings on the Twitter linked above) and whether you're a Wednesday fan like me, a Pulp fan or simply keen on an interesting bit of memorabilia, you could certainly do far worse than throw your cash towards this.

zKuEM5i.jpg img%5D

It's a good cause, but there isn't a charity out there could make be buy and wear anything inspired by any Sheffield club...

Wayne Rooney is coming out of international retirement to play in the friendly against the US on the 15th November, earning his 120th cap.

The event will also be called the ‘Wayne Rooney Foundation International’, with the stadium lit in his charity’s colours.

Now, I like Rooney and think he doesn’t get the credit he deserves as an England footballer, but is this what the England team and/or international football should be doing? Testimonials are special occasions done at club level, and whilst Rooney’s involvement won’t cause a huge dent in England’s development, it just seems a bit odd to gift a game to a player based on previous achievement.

I still believe playing for England is what all players should aim to achieve. Whilst there’s no doubt in Rooney’s achievements and contribution as an England player, this cheapens England a bit for me.

Thoughts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46089205

Edited by scratchdj

On 11/3/2018 at 5:04 PM, Fatty Facesitter said:

Canaries back at the top of the Championship after our biggest away win in approximately 100 years. Kiss my face. 

You’re welcome.

☹️

10 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Wayne Rooney is coming out of international retirement to play in the friendly against the US on the 15th November, earning his 120th cap.

The event will also be called the ‘Wayne Rooney Foundation International’, with the stadium lit in his charity’s colours.

Now, I like Rooney and think he doesn’t get the credit he deserves as an England footballer, but is this what the England team and/or international football should be doing? Testimonials are special occasions done at club level, and whilst Rooney’s involvement won’t cause a huge dent in England’s development, it just seems a bit odd to gift a game to a player based on previous achievement.

I still believe playing for England is what all players should aim to achieve. Whilst there’s no doubt in Rooney’s achievements and contribution as an England player, this cheapens England a bit for me.

Thoughts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46089205

It's no worse than Ronaldos last run out for Brazil. If Wales decided to give Ian Rosh 5 minutes in our next friendly against Albania I'd spaff everywhere. I don't have a problem with it.

Rooney geys plenty of credit as an England footballer though. 

US team are shit at the moment. It'll be a game that England can hammer somebody after a series of indifferent results.

USA are always shit. They only look competent sometimes within the prism of CONCACAF football.

They should just have international friendlies morph into Soccer Aid. I'd be far more interested in watching England vs Azerbaijan if David Seaman was back in goal and we had Jamie Theakston up front. They could run some national competition (10p per call, get bill payer's permission first) where the winner gets to play 20 minutes at right back. 

Edited by Gus Mears

Rooney's scored a lot of goals and made a lot of appearances for England, but he's never really been the force in a major tournament that he was in friendlies and qualifying. There's no denying he's a great player. He's played well at every club  he's played for and by accounts is rolling back the years at DC United, but this friendly feels like a glorified testimonial.

@Gus Mears What about a phone vote on Match Of The Day to pick the squad for the next friendly?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

10 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

US team are shit at the moment. It'll be a game that England can hammer somebody after a series of indifferent results.

[Maxwell] Was chatting to a US international recently. [/Maxwell] They're actively building for the World Cup they're hosting at the moment so for some friendlies, they're leaving out the players who just won't be viable for that tournament. Maybe going down the Iceland route.

I don't really get the ire over the Rooney thing. The precedent was set with Beckham. Now it's just going to be something they do.

Hopefully this means that England's best ever captain, John Terry, gets the testimonial/friendly that the nation wants and needs.

@jazzygeofferz Could we base the squads on the Garth Crooks team of the week? Yes we could.

Edited by Gus Mears