Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Moderators
10 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Wayne Rooney is coming out of international retirement to play in the friendly against the US on the 15th November, earning his 120th cap.

The event will also be called the ‘Wayne Rooney Foundation International’, with the stadium lit in his charity’s colours.

Now, I like Rooney and think he doesn’t get the credit he deserves as an England footballer, but is this what the England team and/or international football should be doing? Testimonials are special occasions done at club level, and whilst Rooney’s involvement won’t cause a huge dent in England’s development, it just seems a bit odd to gift a game to a player based on previous achievement.

I still believe playing for England is what all players should aim to achieve. Whilst there’s no doubt in Rooney’s achievements and contribution as an England player, this cheapens England a bit for me.

Thoughts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46089205

It's no worse than Ronaldos last run out for Brazil. If Wales decided to give Ian Rosh 5 minutes in our next friendly against Albania I'd spaff everywhere. I don't have a problem with it.

Rooney geys plenty of credit as an England footballer though. 

• Paid Members

They should just have international friendlies morph into Soccer Aid. I'd be far more interested in watching England vs Azerbaijan if David Seaman was back in goal and we had Jamie Theakston up front. They could run some national competition (10p per call, get bill payer's permission first) where the winner gets to play 20 minutes at right back. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Rooney's scored a lot of goals and made a lot of appearances for England, but he's never really been the force in a major tournament that he was in friendlies and qualifying. There's no denying he's a great player. He's played well at every club  he's played for and by accounts is rolling back the years at DC United, but this friendly feels like a glorified testimonial.

@Gus Mears What about a phone vote on Match Of The Day to pick the squad for the next friendly?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

US team are shit at the moment. It'll be a game that England can hammer somebody after a series of indifferent results.

[Maxwell] Was chatting to a US international recently. [/Maxwell] They're actively building for the World Cup they're hosting at the moment so for some friendlies, they're leaving out the players who just won't be viable for that tournament. Maybe going down the Iceland route.

I don't really get the ire over the Rooney thing. The precedent was set with Beckham. Now it's just going to be something they do.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

@jazzygeofferz Could we base the squads on the Garth Crooks team of the week? Yes we could.

A three man defence consisting of set piece goalscorers, four attack-minded midfielders and three forwards. Job done.

Have I been reading a feature about the worst Crooks' Teams of the Week today? Yes, yes I have.

https://www.express.co.uk/pictures/sport/7618/Garth-Crooks-Team-of-the-Week-best-ever-outrageous-sportgalleries

(Sorry it's from the fucking Express)

• Paid Members

Wenger is apparently on the verge of taking over as manager at AC Milan if Twitter is accurate. I love Wenger, and I'm glad he's still getting to manage somewhere but as weird as it is seeing someone other than Wenger in the dugout at Arsenal, it's going to seem even weirder seeing him manage someone else.