Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

My favourite one is where he is eventually mentions Pogba and you see Craig Bellendamy smirk in an "I was waiting for that" way, then the host totally shuts it down and moves on.  Souey's face is a potent mix of anger and resignation.

• Paid Members

On the subject of great pundits, I'd like to nominate Graham Hunter. His pairing with Simon Hanley on La Liga games is a joy to listen to. Both chaps always seem to be having a genuinely great time and their commentary is so affable you can quite easily imagine going for a pint with them and Graham is super knowledgeable about Spanish football. I also second the love for the European Football Show, that was a superb watch every week.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I've never seen Souness smile outside of nights out with Dale. Look how chuffed he is.

Cp1f9vdWYAA7tVw_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeB

I'd probably alter my avatar to that if I knew how to Photoshop Sam Allardyce or Paul Chuckle into it.

Souness looks older than he does now in that.

Edited by Gus Mears

Souey was, is and always will be an absolute cunt. A magnificent moustachioed cunt. He's no Roy Keane though. That bastard is a cryptic txt message away from being found hanging with the choked out bodies of Adrian Chiles and Martin O'Neill beneath him.

Here is the story, for those who don't know it.  I fucking love Roy Keane.

I’m 24 years old, I’ve just been signed by the reigning European champions, and it’s gone to my head. Specifically, I’ve bought myself an Aston Martin, and I’m driving round Hale Barns in Manchester with the windows down, sunglasses on, elbow resting on the sill, steering with two fingers, speed garage blasting out of the stereo.

I don’t even like speed garage. I’m certainly not sure I like this car. A little voice deep down keeps telling me that an Aston Martin really isn’t me, but a louder voice is telling me that as an England international playing up front for Liverpool the old rules no longer apply. Big voice: Peter, you’ve never looked cooler. Little voice: Peter, you’re a monstrous bell-end. And so I’m cruising around, trying to convince myself I look like Steve McQueen or Daniel Craig, ignoring the old Peter telling me I’ve become everything I swore I wouldn’t, and I pull up at a set of traffic lights and there’s Roy Keane in his car right next to me.

Ah, there’s a man who understands my vibe. Fantastic footballer, winner of multiple league titles and FA Cups and League Cups and the Champions League, captain and heartbeat of Manchester United through the most successful period in their history. I give him a nod. I give him a wink. I may even point my index finger at him and make a clicking sound at the same time. All of it saying, you and me, eh, Roy? Same game, same level. In it together. Rivals yet friends who just haven’t met before. Alright, Roy?

He looks back at me. Even through my shades I cannot miss the disgust on his face. It’s like he’s looking at something which has just curled out of the backside of his dog Triggs. He shakes his head and stares back at the road ahead. I’m frozen in my pose, grin slipping off my face, and when the lights change and he drives off without a backward glance I’m left there with the handbrake on and an awful realisation: oh my God, I’ve become one of those twats.

I sold the Aston Martin the next day. A £25,000 hit on it, and I considered myself lucky. All because of Roy Keane – Roy, as my absent conscience, Roy as a modern-day footballer’s spiritual guide.

That moment at that set of traffic lights was the best thing that ever happened to me… Even in the brief period of ownership I didn’t want to drive it to Liverpool’s training ground, because it felt obscene gunning it through the struggling areas around Melwood, waving under the noses of all those Liverpool fans how much money I was making compared to them. Taking it to the shops I felt like a fool, because who goes to pick up some milk and a loaf of sliced bread in a sports car that can do 0–60mph quicker than you can swipe your loyalty card?