Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Mourinho bringing up his Chelsea titles to defend United being shit. This is better than when he deflected the Sevilla criticism by naming all of United's past failures in Europe and listing all the times he'd beaten them with other teams! It's hard to keep temporarily pretending to hate him.

Neville's tangent about being touched by the loyalty of the few United fans that stuck around to applaud Mourinho as being special and something he would have never experienced at clubs like Chelsea was weird. Did he miss 15/16?

15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

We finished second on 80 points last season, a total that would have won the league in many previous seasons.

If you go back decades, maybe, but United's points total + GD last season wouldn't win any league since 1999.

• Paid Members

My bad Cleets! The point I was making was that we made measured progress under Mourinho, which I'll stand by.

The points vs playing style debate is an interesting one. We were horrible to watch a lot last season, but got results in big games. To me that's always going to be more important than being entertaining losers. I'd take that again this season if offered it right now!

It's never a choice between one or the other though is it? With everything United have at their disposal I don't think their fans are unreasonable for wanting to be entertained whilst competing for trophies. Personally I'd rather strive for that.

6 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

It's never a choice between one or the other though is it? With everything United have at their disposal I don't think their fans are unreasonable for wanting to be entertained whilst competing for trophies. Personally I'd rather strive for that.

I know I'm old but wanting to be entertained is prawn sandwich as fuck. It's sport, results are all that matters. But when you're a big club you attract that type of fan I guess. 

It's sport but it's also something we spend a lot of time watching and obsessing about. Surely you would like to be entertained? Obviously as a Liverpool fan I'm approaching this from a privileged position and as a Cov fan  you value survival far higher than entertainment but even if the roles were reversed I'd still want my team to try and play quick exciting football, just not to the detriment of survival.

Entertaining free flowing football is a bonus when it comes to your own team.  As Arch said, I'd take a turgid win over being entertaining losers every time.  If I want entertainment I'll play Xbox. Saying that though, I do like defensive football, the discipline and structural integrity over the course of a game can be intriguing. Playing without the ball and just taking it when you want it is ace.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Entertaining free flowing football is a bonus when it comes to your own team.

What teams are stifling their way to the big trophies? Maybe Atletico, although they are far better than they're given credit for because they happen to enjoy defending. Portugal weren't wonderful during the Euros. Otherwise, I think its fair to say everyone plays good football these days.

You're right, winning football is what matters but increasingly, good football and winning football are the same thing.

Find the whole United thing baffling. I'm not sure how it's possible to look so average having invested so much in players. Then you hear fans defending Mourinho with "He wasn't allowed to buy this and that" when you could hardly blame anyone for not letting him buy players when he's chosen terribly. Someone was moaning about him not getting centre halves last night. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he bought Lindelof and Bailly didn't he?

They did still finish second to an outstanding side last season with a good points haul but game to game, they look miles off Man City and Liverpool.

• Paid Members

My mate text me simply "Jones and Smalling" before the Wembley game as an implied admission of defeat. He did the same before last night's game. Some lessons just aren't being learned.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

We beat you at Wembley with Jones and Smalling at the back. That was the cup semi-final though. 

Even blind pigs find the occasional acorn.

• Paid Members

I appreciate that Arch still sees positives - I was of a similar mindset prior to how everything went down post-January.

What's puzzling about the club's defence is it's the same players that had the 2nd best defensive record in the PL last season (City besting United by one goal). Now, for whatever reason, the players look incapable of keeping a clean sheet, which is truly troubling. As discussed on the other page, what good is "defensive" manager Jose if he can't even defend?

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

You're right, winning football is what matters but increasingly, good football and winning football are the same thing.

I'm not down with calling attacking football "Good football", if you're playing on the front foot and losing 3-2 or 5-3 all the time, you're playing bad football.