Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

Celtic really should have beaten AEK over both legs and will be wondering how they've conspired to get put out. The Greeks rode their luck a fair bit but the narrative will obviously be how deficient Celtic are defensively. The Boyata situation has turned toxic and it would seem Rodgers is embattled for the first time in his reign. They've gone back miles from the second half of his first season. The board are responsible for the regression of the team on the pitch. They are happy to rinse the fans top dollar for the cost of season tickets, European match tickets, three kits per term and hold onto money earned from the sale of Stuart Armstrong/the sell-on fee for Virgil etc. The fans can reasonably expect to see some investment in the team and are being short changed. Celtic are not destitute. There is money to be spent reasonably - nobody is asking them to haemorrhage cash. Stupid decisions like the sale of Erik Sviatchenko when the club are at a low ebb defensively is symptomatic of how things seem to be run arse for elbow at the moment.

I bet Peter Lawwell's arse is twitching that another £30m+ won't be landing in their coffers this season. Cause and effect. Even a child understands the balance of consequences.

On 8/13/2018 at 7:04 AM, PowerButchi said:

*Barnsley Football Club.

Please stick to your quite fucking sweet, quite frankly, sporting knowledge. Especially as regards Welsh league football.

See? I'm not that bad, referring to teams with 'FC' like an unreadable UEFA.com article. For a real masterclass in that kind of bellendery, check out what UKGameShows.com insisted on calling the World Cup final. Like the rest of you I call it France v Croatia, for the record. 

Diolch Butch. Yeah, I watched your beloved Cefn Druids lose at Cofi on S4C on Sunday afternoon and I've noticed who's top of the Cymru Alliance after 2 games following an enforced demotion, but who else wants to discuss that here? 

On 8/13/2018 at 4:14 PM, The British Bushwacker said:

*Headington United

One of the teams to vote against Oxford City being elected, 2 years later changed their name and got elected themselves, we still like to think of ourselves as the 'real' Oxford club, our average home gates of 270 to theirs says otherwise.

Thank fuck for that! Sorry I couldn't remember your username earlier. Thanks for the advice from @Cod Eye too. Sad to hear that you feel you have to avoid some situations due to your disability. I've done the same the past couple of days.

As for tonight, away from the Champions League it was strange to see League Cup matches going straight to penalties after full time, even though that change was already announced a couple of months ago. Can't really get excited about any of the (very few) upsets either.

2 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

I bet Peter Lawwell's arse is twitching that another £30m+ won't be landing in their coffers this season. Cause and effect. Even a child understands the balance of consequences.

I think the John McGinn transfer saga has backfired spectacularly on them also. They're used to lowballing other Scottish clubs and the player forcing the transfer ahead of other higher bids and, with McGinn's family background at the club, I think they expected this to be the easiest one ever. It's refreshing, then, to see Hibs hold firm and McGinn treat his former club with respect in order that they could get the value deserved from a player of his calibre.

Easy to see how Celtic could stagnate. They've essentially worked unchallenged for the last seven years yet haven't made any real attempts to progress or develop throughout that time beyond appointing Rodgers, instead being happy by parading domestic trophies whilst getting beaten handily in Europe. It's now gotten to the point where, with a little luck and a drop in fortunes at Parkhead, any one of four or five clubs could conceivably challenge for the title without ending up miles behind as in previous years.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Malmo also went out. Lost to Videoton, which sounds like a 90s CBBC show.

Pretty sure my first home port of Pac-Mac was on the Videoton.

3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I'd say the National League is the hardest division to get out of in the English pyramid.

I'd say the National League North last year was a bastard and the Southern Prem last year was fierce (top 5 all finished over 90 points).

Anyway, congratulations on sending the Maidenhead Paedophiles bottom yesterday. We'll hopefully see you in the Nationals in a few seasons.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I think the John McGinn transfer saga has backfired spectacularly on them also. They're used to lowballing other Scottish clubs and the player forcing the transfer ahead of other higher bids and, with McGinn's family background at the club, I think they expected this to be the easiest one ever. It's refreshing, then, to see Hibs hold firm and McGinn treat his former club with respect in order that they could get the value deserved from a player of his calibre.

Easy to see how Celtic could stagnate. They've essentially worked unchallenged for the last seven years yet haven't made any real attempts to progress or develop throughout that time beyond appointing Rodgers, instead being happy by parading domestic trophies whilst getting beaten handily in Europe. It's now gotten to the point where, with a little luck and a drop in fortunes at Parkhead, any one of four or five clubs could conceivably challenge for the title without ending up miles behind as in previous years.

When I was younger, and perhaps more naive. I couldn't understand why other SPL clubs didn't come together and flat out refuse to sell their best players to Celtic/Rangers. Its always seemed to me that the Old Firm prefer to raid potential competitors of their best talent rather than look further afield and bringing in better players, thus improving the overall standard of the SPL.

TNS used to be bad for doing that in Wales, although to be fair they seem  to be casting their net further these days instead of just nicking the best players in the Welsh Prem.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

I think fans of other Scottish clubs should view Celtic being eliminated from the CL as the worst possible outcome. Without defeats from the likes of Barcelona/PSG etc exposing their comparative weaknesses, Celtic will likely sweep up domestically again. 

Except Celtic this season are a mess defensively (even worse than under Ronny Deila), Boyata is hugely overrated and they can definitely be gotten at. 

That they won't be scooping the circa 30 million quid that getting to the CL group stages brings is brilliant news for the rest of us.