Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

She needs a 12th man here.

vRtuoH.gif

With regards to Remi Matthews, I too was hoping he'd be given a chance this season. Let's hope he gets enough game time at Bolton.

Edit: Just seen Delia's on EE adverts now quoting this.

Edited by Sphinx

15 hours ago, Fog Dude said:

*your

To be fair that point only really applies to Oxford. The two Bradford clubs coexisted peacefully for decades in the Football League. 

Dundee and Dundee United are clearly quite an unusual case. Like I said, fans of The Terrors probably wouldn't appreciate being referred to as simply 'Dundee'. 

*Headington United

One of the teams to vote against Oxford City being elected, 2 years later changed their name and got elected themselves, we still like to think of ourselves as the 'real' Oxford club, our average home gates of 270 to theirs says otherwise.

Edited by The British Bushwacker

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, The British Bushwacker said:

*Headington United

One of the teams to vote against Oxford City being elected, 2 years later changed their name and got elected themselves, we still like to think of ourselves as the 'real' Oxford club, our average home gates of 270 to theirs says otherwise.

I've got total sympathy for City(sorry Fog Dude!) after reading that! Similar happened to Barnsley in 1919 when the First Division was being extended to(I think) 22 teams. BFC had finished 3rd in the then Second Division, so really should have been given one of the slots in the expanded top flight on merit. However, Arsenal(then known as "The Arsenal" successfully lobbied(with unsubstantiated reports of bribery too) to take the place for themselves. Just think, Barnsley could be the team that were happy to finish 4th in the Premier League!

n.b. I'm not bitter, obviously!

• Paid Members

I remember back at school learning some interesting trivia about Arsenal. We all had to do projects for English where we'd research a subject and then give a ten-minute talk on it. One of my classmates, Elias, was a big Arsenal fan, so that was his subject.

Two things I still remember from that talk: Arsenal was at its very beginning called "Royal Arsenal", and the other one was that they were quite unsuccessful until one of their better managers came along and changed up their formation from 1-1-8. I mean, that's insane. 1-1-8!

• Moderators

I assume that'd be Herbert Chapman. Around that time there was also a film The Arsenal Stadium Mystery or something that Channel 4 would show in the afternoons when I was in a teen and off school. As regards 1-1-8, that was really really common back then. 4-4-2 wasn't really a thing til the sixties or seventies. It was 5 up front for an absolute age. Winger, Inside left, Cenret Forward, Inside Right, Winger.

ou might find Invertig The Pyramid as an interesting read on all that formation stuff

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Two things I still remember from that talk: Arsenal was at its very beginning called "Royal Arsenal", and the other one was that they were quite unsuccessful until one of their better managers came along and changed up their formation from 1-1-8. I mean, that's insane. 1-1-8!

Not quite, we were Dial Square at the very beginning (which is part of the Royal Arsenal complex) before we changed to Royal Arsenal. We have an office there, so I visit the site every month. Many of the old buildings still remain, it's really nice (and much nicer than Woolwich in general, obvs).

edit: yeah he must be talking about Chapman.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I assume that'd be Herbert Chapman. Around that time there was also a film The Arsenal Stadium Mystery or something that Channel 4 would show in the afternoons when I was in a teen and off school. As regards 1-1-8, that was really really common back then. 4-4-2 wasn't really a thing til the sixties or seventies. It was 5 up front for an absolute age. Winger, Inside left, Cenret Forward, Inside Right, Winger.

ou might find Invertig The Pyramid as an interesting read on all that formation stuff

I figured it might be something like that; given how comparatively young the modern game was back then, it makes sense that it might have taken a while for optimal systems and styles of play on a pre-professional level to be figured out.

Chapman's always been an impressive figure, to me - during a time when the league was arguably more competitive than it is now, winning the trophies he did with two different clubs is definitely a tremendous achievement.

Thanks for the recco - it's been on my list a while, as Keith mentioned it some months back (think Gus might have as well). Might move it up the list.

35 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Not quite, we were Dial Square at the very beginning (which is part of the Royal Arsenal complex) before we changed to Royal Arsenal. We have an office there, so I visit the site every month. Many of the old buildings still remain, it's really nice (and much nicer than Woolwich in general, obvs).

edit: yeah he must be talking about Chapman.

Ah, I must have missed that bit. Maybe they should've kept the "Royal" bit, do like the Reals of Spain.

Woolwich is getting ridiculously gentrified now, though. Even Plumstead, which was possibly the closest the UK's ever come to having a US-style ghetto like Compton (still didn't quite make it, but got close).

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Well this is lovely from Barnsley. cc @Cod Eye

Saw that earlier. Lovely gesture by the Gauthier, the clubs Chief Exec. 

It's one of the reasons I love supporting one of the smaller, more community based clubs... 

On 8/6/2018 at 3:58 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, but the Allsvenskan is far stronger than the SPL so you can take it that if Malmo are in sixth then that's going to be a tough tie for Celtic.

Mind you, I don't think they'll get past AEK but we'll see/

D Mal knows.