Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

Is Bernard a bit shit? I had it in my head that he's half-decent but according to Wikipedia his contract with Shakhtar has ran out and this is the first I've heard about it. I hadn't seen him linked to anyone.

He's not fulfilled his potential at all. Eyebrows were raised when the choose Shakhtar (although the Brazilian connection made sense) over bigger European teams, but he was a prospect back then. Looked pretty decent at the 2013 Confederations Cup. Now he's available on a free- a move to China wouldn't surprise me.

7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My theory is the board are having a last throw of the dice. Spending all this cash to be able to sell up within the next 2 years. As much as I love Upton Park, The OS is an amazing stadium and can, as you say, have a great atmosphere if people stop being dicks (not Julian).

I'm sorry but you are kidding...Upton Park was a great ground and I liked going there but the Olympic is the worst stadium I've ever been to, and that includes the Emirates!!!!

It's terrible in every single way. Worse than Wembley.

Shame about Oxlade Chamberlain out for a whole season. Wouldn't wish that on any player.

Horrible news about Chamberlain. Was a huge player for us last year, but thankful we've managed to sort out two central midfielders before releasing the news regarding the length of his injury.

Made up with our Summer so far. Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri and now Alisson? Feels bizarre to be actually addressing issues underlying from last season. Can't recall an instance where I've been more hopeful heading into a season, and we could still be in with a shout of Fekir. On paper, that's a team capable of playing fantastic football and winning trophies, and we've got a manager who can absolutely deliver on that note. Not a single reason as to why we shouldn't be wanting to challenge for the league.  

34 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

On paper, that's a team capable of playing fantastic football and winning trophies, and we've got a manager who can absolutely deliver on that note

Remind us of his record in finals.  I love Klopp but he hasn't really delivered on the trophy front.

1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

Horrible news about Chamberlain. Was a huge player for us last year, but thankful we've managed to sort out two central midfielders before releasing the news regarding the length of his injury.

Made up with our Summer so far. Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri and now Alisson? Feels bizarre to be actually addressing issues underlying from last season. Can't recall an instance where I've been more hopeful heading into a season, and we could still be in with a shout of Fekir. On paper, that's a team capable of playing fantastic football and winning trophies, and we've got a manager who can absolutely deliver on that note. Not a single reason as to why we shouldn't be wanting to challenge for the league.  

Klopp has definitely been given the money to strengthen the squad, whether thats through success (Champs League final) and money received he cannot complain he hasn't been given the funds/players to mount a challenge this season. That said you do think he needs to deliver something this season otherwise questions will be asked. With that squad on paper they should be challenging.

Been impressed with Liverpool & Arsenal's signings this summer, be interesting to see what everyone else does in the top six.

Edited by Briefcase

41 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Remind us of his record in finals.  I love Klopp but he hasn't really delivered on the trophy front.

No, you're completely correct with that one, but I don't think he's ever had a squad capable of properly challenging as we do now. His record in finals is poor, but we lost to City on penalties, lost to Sevilla following the worst individual performance I've ever seen from a Liverpool player in Moreno, and were soundly beaten by a far better Madrid squad. I don't know, it just feels like the board is really getting behind him given how we've progressed underneath him and the funds he's been given reflects upon that. 

In response to Briefcase, I don't think we're going to be heading into the season with the mentality of no trophy = failure. Obviously, a trophy would be a massive bonus but from my perspective as long as we keep playing exciting football and are able to make progress in the league then I'm happy. We were massively punching by reaching the Champions League final last year, so I'm hopeful expectations surrounding us remain somewhat grounded.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Grecian said:

God like genius that is Ethan Ampadu.

One of the finest players at his age I've ever seen, with the mental faculties of a footballer twice his age.

• Paid Members

Has Chadli not performed for WBA either? I know Spurs fans weren't happy with him. He did decently for Belgium during the World Cup, though.

It's absolutely too much but if he has a similar impact as Van Djik it won't matter. I'd rather over spend on one player that fits the bill and slots in straight away than hedge our bets and buy 3 players that we won't see the best of for 2/3 seasons.

• Paid Members

Yeah you can do with getting rid of a player like Chadli now you're in the Championship. Too much for the wage bill and you should be able to get a good fee for him to offer getting almost fuck all for Evans.

13 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

Our net spend is less then what we paid for Andy Caroll and we have sold Ward to Leicester today.

4 hours ago, Ralphy said:

67million for this goalkeeper liverpool are signing seems a bit much, is he really that good? No denying that LFC need one but the fee seems excessive, even in this climate 

I think with Goalkeepers you need to look at the long term option, so if Liverpool get 10 years out of him then its probably good value. He has had glowing reviews though, I am guessing they moved quickly before Real Madrid/Chelsea started sniffing. 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members

It's incredible that it's taken seventeen years to break the Buffon transfer record. Seventeen! I know at the time some Italian sides went through a spell of pissing money away on players like there was no tomorrow, but transfer fees - especially over the past several years - have risen so sharply it's surprising the record hasn't been smashed by now.

Can't blame Liverpool, I think it's just a case of the goalkeeper market finally catching up. It's the first highly rated keeper moving from one big club to another at a fairly young age in ages, given today's market it's hard to argue. Imagine if De Gea went to Real Madrid this summer (which won't happen)? Could be looking at close to £100m.